Mar 29, 2024, 11:53 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Jason's TARDIS tools

Started by 13drwho, Feb 23, 2017, 02:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

13drwho

Feb 23, 2017, 02:55 am Last Edit: Mar 19, 2017, 02:43 am by 13drwho
I was asked by someone to model the Magnetic Clamp from the 1980's TARDIS Tool Kit. With Warmcanofcoke's excellent images and a look at it's appearance in Earthshock I modeled the three main pieces in SolidWorks. I did look at my electronics suppliers for a suitable speaker housing, but in the end it was faster and cheaper to model it.

magnetic clamp box a.JPG

magnetic clamp box b.JPG

magnetic clamp dial.JPG

I was pretty happy with the models so I got the parts printed at ShapeWays. They just arrived. I think they came out pretty well. I may use an aluminum rod for the rod that connects the two boxes. I think it would be easier to scratch build a non working one than find a tripod that looks right. Take a look and let me know what you think.

magnetic clamp parts.jpg

Davros Skaro

those parts look pretty good, the speaker is well done especially, it looks like a proper one.
can't wait to see how they come up painted.

Chris.
Chris.

galacticprobe

Feb 23, 2017, 05:24 am #2 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2017, 05:24 am by galacticprobe
I agree with Chris. These look fantastic! As for making the connecting tube/rod non-working, I see no problem with that. It's your build after all so you're the only one it has to please (even though we all enjoy looking at it :)). Besides, if one day you come across one of those extendable tabletop microphone stands in a second-hand store and the price is right, you always have the option to upgrade.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

atardisto1.jpg
atardisto3.jpg

Excellent work as always Jason. One of the pieces could use some refinement as it slants more than your version.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

13drwho

I'm not sure I agree about the slant. I looked at Earthshock to determine the slant. In the episode you are looking strait at the prop. I think looking at the picture here is deceptive because of the angle the picture was taken at.

Thank you all for looking and for all your comments. Hopefully I'll have some time in the next couple weeks to finish the prop!

davidnagel

Feb 23, 2017, 11:51 pm #5 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2017, 11:57 pm by davidnagel
The slant discussion continues :P

Peter-Jackson-Collection-_05.png

TimeFlight%20084_zpsj7xsuj2d.jpg

I do wonder if it looks mostly less slanty because there's a bit missing? The screenshots from the show, the piece looks alot chunkier.
Regards
David

galacticprobe

Feb 24, 2017, 05:52 am #6 Last Edit: Feb 24, 2017, 05:57 am by galacticprobe
Cropped so the clamp shows at full size, and lightened some to bring out some shadows for detailing:

MagClampSlant.jpg

Is it possible that the end in question (right side in this image) slants a bit on the top as well as on the bottom? The bottom certainly looks closer to the shelf at the end that connects to the telescoping rod than it does at the bitter end (see the shadow underneath showing the gap). Also, looking at the other images of it, including the screen grabs (where it looks "chunkier"), it still looks like it has a slight slant to the top and bottom edges; again see the shadow underneath showing the gap. (Or is it my stanky old wizzard eyes again?)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Davros Skaro

Feb 24, 2017, 10:19 pm #7 Last Edit: Feb 24, 2017, 10:19 pm by Davros Skaro
Nice shot there Dino, if you look closer to the end in question (on the right) it seems that it has a lid. There is a join half way that overlaps the bottom, so I'm thinking it's or was a tin box of some sort once. But there is definitely a join there & your right in saying:
QuoteIs it possible that the end in question (right side in this image) slants a bit on the top as well as on the bottom? The bottom certainly looks closer to the shelf at the end that connects to the telescoping rod than it does at the bitter end (see the shadow underneath showing the gap). Also, looking at the other images of it, including the screen grabs (where it looks "chunkier"), it still looks like it has a slight slant to the top and bottom edges; again see the shadow underneath showing the gap. (Or is it my stanky old wizard eyes again?)

so, no it's not your stanky old wizard eyes again.

Chris.
Chris.

galacticprobe

Feb 25, 2017, 06:10 am #8 Last Edit: Feb 25, 2017, 06:13 am by galacticprobe
Thanks for the confirmation, Chris. I did notice the seam on one of those images, but I didn't know if it was part of the piece they used, or if it was caused by some crinkle in tape that might have been holding it together. (I could only see that seam in that one photo that David posted, along with the Davros head; that's why I wondered about the slant.)

And just so you know I'm not misspelling "wizzard" because I don't know how to spell it...
WizzardEyes.jpg
Yes; there's also a joke to go with that shirt as well... in this image that so uncannily captures my image.

Dino.

Davros Skaro

Quote from: galacticprobe on Feb 25, 2017, 06:10 am
And just so you know I'm not misspelling "wizzard" because I don't know how to spell it...
WizzardEyes.jpg
Yes; there's also a joke to go with that shirt as well... in this image that so uncannily captures my image.

Dino.

RAFISSPPMSLMSO! That's the "spelling correction" app for you, doesn't know the different spelling for words. HAHAHAHA

Chris.  :D  8)  :D
Chris.

13drwho

Feb 26, 2017, 01:52 am #10 Last Edit: Feb 26, 2017, 02:08 am by 13drwho
I need some opinions. I was looking at tripods for the extension rod on this prop and none of the modern ones on Amazon are even close. Is there something else I might look for? At the moment I am seriously considering buying an aluminum rod and making pieces to make it LOOK extendable. I own a tripod, but they have drastically changed the design over the years. Any thoughts?

One more question... What do you think the diameter of the connecting rod is. I'm guessing 3/4 inch or 7/8 inch. I say that because my guesstimate of the depth of the box is one inch.

Davros Skaro

To me it looks like 20mm & 16 mm PVC or metal conduit, (as one will slip inside the other) with a collar to tighten down on the 16mm. if metal they could be threaded & screw in to the blocks of the clamp. PVC could have a hole for the conduit to slip into for strength.

What about a Microphone stand, they have the same sort of set up for extending the height?

Just a few options for you to mull over.

best of luck in getting what you need.

By the way, your doing a great job on this so far.

Chris.
Chris.

galacticprobe

Feb 26, 2017, 06:07 am #12 Last Edit: Mar 05, 2017, 05:20 am by galacticprobe
I agree on the microphone stand. They do sell table-top/desktop extendable stands - or at least they used to - which would be close to the length needed without having to hack off each end of a floor mic stand. The threaded attachments where the "rod" fits into the base, and the clip attaches to the top for holding the mic, could be useful for attaching the rod to the end boxes.

And after a quick search I see they still do make those table top stands in the mid $30s-mid $40s US range:

Mic Stand Option 1 (9- to 12-inch)

Mic Stand Option 2 (15- to 26-inch)

Mic Stand Option 3 (8- to 13-inch)

I hope these are helpful.

Dino.

13drwho

A small update. The aluminum rod arrived. I put it together and now it's ready for priming and painting. After that I'll add all the tape. Here's where I am so far...

magnetic clamp test fit.jpg

davidnagel

Regards
David