Apr 23, 2024, 08:37 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Classic Eccleston/Tennant

Started by jezmiller, Feb 21, 2017, 08:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jezmiller

Third attempt to post this. I think the attachment size is small enough now. Anyway, this isn't my own work, it was created by a guy called Claude Buchan according to my specifications, but I thought the design might interest people. It's a re-imagining of the 2005 console room in the classic style - grey-white, high-tech, and with Round Things. Modeled in Blender.

Classic 2005 01.jpg

Classic 2005 02.jpg

Vale

Actually what you mean is "the War Doctor's console room, done properly, with a real budget and not cobbled together out of leftovers" ;) Really nice!

fivefingeredstyre

Now this is what I wished the Eccleston/Tennant console room looked like. 

expendable

Nicely rendered! Lovely room! The ramp is an interesting addition! Liked the shielded lights on the side.

jezmiller

Quote from: Vale on Feb 21, 2017, 09:39 pm
Actually what you mean is "the War Doctor's console room, done properly, with a real budget and not cobbled together out of leftovers" ;) Really nice!

The double dais was taken from the War Doctor's room. The scanner is from the Five Doctors console room, the internal and external doors are based on the ones from the Season 16 room, the console base comes from the Smith/Capaldi "Toyota" console, and the walls, like the War Doctor's, come from the classic Hartnell era. The overall size of the room is more in keeping with the Eccleston/Tennant/Smith era rooms.

The console design is based on the 2005 console, but taking the classic series approach that the console should reflect whatever is "high tech" for a given era of the show - dials and levels in the early 60s, computer keyboards in the 80s. So in the smartphone era, we have a smooth, touch-sensitive black surface. The idea was that the Gallifreyan glyphs change as you touch them, like a 'phone display

Console close-up.jpg

BioDoctor900

This is a really nice design and incorporates a lot of great ideas

BioDoctor900

Karomak

Oh my days! That is fantastic!

Thanks for making me even more split on my "in the head"console design  ;D ;D
What are you gonna do? Moisturize me?

-The 9th Doctor, The End Of The World, 2005.

galacticprobe

Feb 23, 2017, 04:25 am #7 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2017, 04:27 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: jezmiller on Feb 22, 2017, 07:26 am
So in the smartphone era, we have a smooth, touch-sensitive black surface.

The smooth, touch-sensitive black surfaces actually started - albeit in a fiction sense - in the 1987 when ST: TNG premiered and all of the control surfaces on Enterprise-D were like that. And as with most things SF-related, it spawned ideas that people ran with.

Some of the equipment I worked on in the military - part of the Shipboard Command and Control System - started making use of such panels (again, albeit with orange monochrome "buttons" and indicators) in the mid 1990s.

As usual, SF was once again ahead of its time, and life ended up imitating fiction.

Quote from: jezmiller on Feb 22, 2017, 07:26 am
The idea was that the Gallifreyan glyphs change as you touch them, like a 'phone display

This is one idea I really love! It would look great on any New Series console screen, whether one in the console or on a swivel around the central column. It's brilliant, and the way you've rendered it in your artwork is amazing!

Quote from: Karomak on Feb 22, 2017, 05:40 pm
Thanks for making me even more split on my "in the head"console design  ;D ;D

Yeah... my thoughts exactly: more crisis for me to mull over with my Identity Crisis Console idea... which keeps changing from one thing to another. I may have to just print out some different versions, tack them to the fence out back, and start tossing darts at them to see which version the dart hits closest to the center of, and go with that one.

And then again I could always just try working around this beauty. (As my wife knows I'm so fond of saying: So many great ideas, so many choices, not enough brain cells! ;D)

This one is really eye-catching and would make for a great change of "Desktop Theme" in the New Series.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Volpone

1) This is wonderful.
2) What's the learning curve on Blender? 

I want to do a virtual console room and Google Sketchup vexes me almost as much as Microsoft Access. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Vale

Best. Console. Ever. :o

Karomak

Feb 23, 2017, 04:51 pm #10 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2017, 04:52 pm by Karomak
Quote from: galacticprobe on Feb 23, 2017, 04:25 am
So many great ideas, so many choices, not enough brain cells!

Yes...just yes. I think this is one of those quotes that can apply to EVERYONE!  ;D ;D

jezmiller

The artwork is amazing, but I'm afraid it's only mine in the sense that I commissioned it, not in the sense that I created it. I posted it because I thought that the design might be of interest, as an idea of what the classic era of the show might have come up with given access to today's technology and budget - hence the melding of different design elements from the show's various eras.

The artist is a talented Scottish freelancer named Claude Buchan, who I have to say was a pleasure to work with. He did a superb job with the specification I gave him, with rapid progress and regular feedback. There are some "canon" console rooms on his web site, here:-

http://adaptivepixel.weebly.com/gallery.html

So I'm afraid I can't offer any feedback on the usability of Blender - I've only ever used it to render the model he created for me.

galacticprobe

Feb 24, 2017, 05:31 am #12 Last Edit: Feb 24, 2017, 05:35 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Karomak on Feb 23, 2017, 04:51 pm
Yes...just yes. I think this is one of those quotes that can apply to EVERYONE!  ;D ;D

As with my "ENVY!" graphic that I use when something strikes me to the point that I pull at my nose hairs and scream "I want one yesterday!", anyone wishing to can feel free to use that quote above. I've got a few variants of it, but the quote is mine; I created it quite a while ago so I'm giving the "all clear" to anyone that wants to use it.

Quote from: Vale on Feb 23, 2017, 01:13 pm
Best. Console. Ever. :o

Maybe not the best ;), but she's right up there with the best of them! (Could create a 3-way tie for my favorite: the original Brachacki console, the 2005 console, and now possibly this one.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Karomak

Feb 24, 2017, 04:13 pm #13 Last Edit: Feb 24, 2017, 04:14 pm by Karomak
Quote from: galacticprobe on Feb 24, 2017, 05:31 am
As with my "ENVY!" graphic that I use when something strikes me to the point that I pull at my nose hairs and scream "I want one yesterday!", anyone wishing to can feel free to use that quote above. I've got a few variants of it, but the quote is mine; I created it quite a while ago so I'm giving the "all clear" to anyone that wants to use it.

Hmmm... ENVY ;D

Nah better not. I think someone who isn't Dino saying the word will rip a hole in the space-time continuum.

galacticprobe

Feb 25, 2017, 05:37 am #14 Last Edit: Feb 25, 2017, 05:44 am by galacticprobe
So... Karomak, basically what you're saying is (paraphrasing the Idris/TARDIS: "But just anyone can't use that 'ENVY!' Graphic. That would blow a hole in the universe.")

I've got to say when I read your comment you gave me the laugh I needed after a rough week with Stormageddon puking like a firehose. (That kid has got some range to him!) I just hope whatever it is I can escape it. Aside from the strain something like that would put on my lower back - experience talking - there are other factors I'm desperate to avoid which I won't go into here.

But at least the wife and I just got the... well... what I said above. On the other hand, my son sent us an e-mail earlier this evening (Friday) letting us know just how bad it had gotten for him. All he said was "This will give you some idea" and this YouTube link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoCj_npPZo0

I felt for him, since he'd done that to me when he was Stormy's age, and while it did make me laugh, your comment really made me feel so much better! Thanks!

Dino.
P. S. Stormy goes to the doctor on Saturday for a looking over to see if there's a way of calming things down.