Apr 23, 2024, 07:45 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

TARDIS Power Cell V2

Started by The14thDr, Feb 11, 2017, 11:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

Feb 11, 2017, 11:05 am Last Edit: Feb 11, 2017, 11:44 am by The14thDr
Early last year I made my original http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=6614 using a polystyrene egg and some card, but I've decided I want something a little more screen-accurate.

I began by moulding the rough shape of the crystal out of modelling clay. Once this dries I can carve it into the correct shape.
IMG_0239.JPG

More updates soon.
Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

Karomak

Can't wait to see it develop! Is it going to light up in some way or will you just paint it green?
What are you gonna do? Moisturize me?

-The 9th Doctor, The End Of The World, 2005.

The14thDr

Thanks Karomak. This will just be a static replica painted green. However, I will be doing what I did with my original power cell, and coat the crystal in glow-in-the-dark paint so it still sort of lights up. :P

The14thDr

Feb 11, 2017, 10:55 pm #3 Last Edit: Feb 11, 2017, 10:58 pm by The14thDr
I made a little progress on the power cell today. The surface of the crystal part is dry, so I was able to add the gold ring (again, once this dries I'll begin to carve the correct shape into the clay.)
IMG_0260.JPG

More updates soon.

The14thDr

Feb 12, 2017, 01:59 pm #4 Last Edit: Feb 12, 2017, 03:21 pm by The14thDr
Today I made a start on carving the clay into a more crystal-like shape, so now it looks less like a glorified acorn and more like a TARDIS power cell. ;D
IMG_0293.JPG

galacticprobe

Feb 13, 2017, 04:33 am #5 Last Edit: Feb 13, 2017, 04:38 am by galacticprobe
This is looking great so far, 14th. And it's funny that you should mention how "...now it looks less like a glorified acorn..." When I saw that photo you're referring to, it reminded me of that alleged UFO that crashed in Kecksburg, Pennsylvania back in 1965.

Here's a model of that UFO based on eyewitness' descriptions of it, before the military chased everyone away:
Kecksburg.jpg

Another glorified acorn... Uncanny, isn't it? ;)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Haha!! ;D ;D This post just made my day, thanks for sharing Dino! ;D

Karomak

Looks like someone landed on planet of the acorns after repairing the chameleon circuit only for it to get stuck again  :D

The14thDr

Feb 21, 2017, 09:32 am #8 Last Edit: Feb 21, 2017, 09:33 am by The14thDr
Last night I carved out the lower half of the crystal and the ring.
IMG_0348.JPG

I also painted the ring with its first coat of gold.
IMG_0349.JPG

More updates soon.

Karomak

That looks fantastic so far  :D.

galacticprobe

Feb 22, 2017, 05:16 am #10 Last Edit: Feb 22, 2017, 05:16 am by galacticprobe
I agree; this looks amazing so far! I remember you saying your plans to paint it were similar to how you painted Version 1. Looking at the color of the "crystal" part, it almost has that "white frosted" look of the crystal when it wasn't glowing. So why not try just painting the crystal part with the glow-in-the-dark paint first? It may give the crystal a faint greenish tint, but on the whole it should still look like a non-glowing crystal. Then when you hit it with a black (UV) light, or turn out the lights, the crystal will glow a bright green as if it was charged up.

The white will even help the glowy paint look better when its glowing, which is probably why the bottle suggests painting whatever you plan to use the glow paint on white before painting on the glow paint. The best part of that is if you don't like the results, you can always just paint the crystal the way you originally planned to and it will be just like Version 1.

I hope some of this is helpful.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Thanks Karomak!!

And thank you for the suggestion, Dino!! (That's a really great idea; now that I think about it, the white clay does look like the non-glowing crystal.) I shall experiment with the glow-in-the-dark paint today.

The14thDr

Feb 26, 2017, 10:28 am #12 Last Edit: Feb 26, 2017, 12:22 pm by The14thDr
Okay, so I tested the white "crystal" with just the glow-in-the-dark paint, and in my opinion it looked a little too pale. The reason being my power cell will most likely be in the light most of the time, so I wanted it to still look like it was "powered up", even when it isn't glowing. (Does that even make sense? ??? :P)

Anyway, I went ahead and painted the "crystal" a pale green with blue highlights, and coated this with 4 coats of glow-in-the-dark paint.
IMG_0412.JPG

galacticprobe

Feb 27, 2017, 04:10 am #13 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2017, 04:11 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: The14thDr on Feb 26, 2017, 10:28 am
...I wanted it to still look like it was "powered up", even when it isn't glowing. (Does that even make sense? ??? :P)

Invoking my inner Corporal Agarn from 'F-Troop': "It makes sense... not to me, but it make sense". ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: The14thDr on Feb 26, 2017, 10:28 am
Anyway, I went ahead and painted the "crystal" a pale green with blue highlights, and coated this with 4 coats of glow-in-the-dark paint.

And it really looks great. I think you've gotten the look to it that you were striving for. I can only imagine what it's going to look like when it's either in the dark after being charged by bright light, or when it's under the UV of a black light!

I thought "V1" looked great, but you've outdone yourself with this one, 14th! Brilliant!

Dino.

The14thDr

Feb 27, 2017, 04:55 pm #14 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2017, 04:56 pm by The14thDr
Quote from: galacticprobe on Feb 27, 2017, 04:10 am
And it really looks great. I think you've gotten the look to it that you were striving for. I can only imagine what it's going to look like when it's either in the dark after being charged by bright light, or when it's under the UV of a black light!

I thought "V1" looked great, but you've outdone yourself with this one, 14th! Brilliant!

Thanks Dino!! ;D Once I add those four little "fins" around the edge of the crystal, I'll be sure to post some night-time shots of the crystal in "powered up" mode.