Apr 19, 2024, 04:32 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Handles the Cyberman (Second Attempt)

Started by The14thDr, Feb 11, 2017, 11:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Davros Skaro

OOPS! I meant PVC conduit, just forgot the "PVC" bit, but have rectified. I always use the PVC, metal is to hard to work with. Have to thread it each time.  :-\

Chris.
Chris.

The14thDr

Thanks again guys. :D We also have plenty of PVC conduit, and at 20mm diameter I think it should be the perfect size for Handles' Handles. ;D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

The14thDr

Feb 26, 2017, 10:52 am #17 Last Edit: Feb 26, 2017, 11:02 am by The14thDr
For the next stage of the ears, I cut out two more templates of the side of Handles' head and glued the ear pods into place.
IMG_0413.JPG

Next up: finishing off the ears and attaching them to the rest of the head.

Kind regards, The14thDr :D

The14thDr

Feb 26, 2017, 11:40 am #18 Last Edit: Feb 26, 2017, 11:55 am by The14thDr
I've just finished putting together the final layer of the ears.

Although the templates say that the third layer should be half as thick as the second, after looking at photos of the original prop, it appears that these layers are in fact the same thickness
IMG_0415.JPG
IMG_0416.JPG

The14thDr

Feb 26, 2017, 06:49 pm #19 Last Edit: Feb 26, 2017, 06:58 pm by The14thDr
Final update for today.

This afternoon I finished the first coat of paper mache.
IMG_0419.JPG

And I couldn't resist a quick photo with Handles' older brother. ;)
IMG_0421.JPG

More updates tomorrow, when I'll hopefully be finishing the ears.

galacticprobe

Feb 27, 2017, 05:00 am #20 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2017, 05:01 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: The14thDr on Feb 26, 2017, 11:40 am
Although the templates say that the third layer should be half as thick as the second, after looking at photos of the original prop, it appears that these layers are in fact the same thickness

Another case of "as intended" vs. "as built". (Templates and concept art "are more guidelines than actual rules". ;D)

Quote from: The14thDr on Feb 26, 2017, 06:49 pm
...a quick photo with Handles' older brother. ;)

Ha-ha! I love it! Remember those L'eggs pantyhose I mentioned that came in the plastic egg-shaped containers that I was collecting? (The containers, not the pantyhose.) I was turning the large end of the containers into "R2 Unit" domes, and I made one in those colors! (Great minds think alike. :D) I also made a plain R2-D2 dome, and had started working on a light blue version of a droid dome. (The R2-D2 and red domes are all that survived.)

As for Handles' progress, it looks to be moving along nicely. You can actually see what he is when you look at him now.

Brilliant work as always, 14th!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Quote from: galacticprobe on Feb 27, 2017, 05:00 am
Ha-ha! I love it! Remember those L'eggs pantyhose I mentioned that came in the plastic egg-shaped containers that I was collecting? (The containers, not the pantyhose.) I was turning the large end of the containers into "R2 Unit" domes, and I made one in those colors! (Great minds think alike. :D) I also made a plain R2-D2 dome, and had started working on a light blue version of a droid dome. (The R2-D2 and red domes are all that survived.)

I'd love to see your R2 Unit domes if you have any photos! The paint is getting quite patchy on mine, so I think it needs a little TLC (and sometime this year I'd like to get round to giving her a body and adding the extra details to the dome.)

Quote from: galacticprobe on Feb 27, 2017, 05:00 am
As for Handles' progress, it looks to be moving along nicely. You can actually see what he is when you look at him now.

Brilliant work as always, 14th!

Thanks Dino!! I must admit, a couple of my friends (despite being fellow "Whovians" did mistake Handles for an Iron Man helmet :P) but at least now he looks a little more Cyber-like. ;D Once I get the ears and handles installed, there will be no mistaking what he's supposed to be! ;D ;D

Karomak

Quote from: The14thDr on Feb 27, 2017, 04:51 pm
Once I get the ears and handles installed, there will be no mistaking what he's supposed to be! ;D ;D

A bald handles does look weird. ;D

What are you gonna do? Moisturize me?

-The 9th Doctor, The End Of The World, 2005.

Rassilons Rod

Feb 27, 2017, 07:46 pm #23 Last Edit: Feb 28, 2017, 09:55 am by rassilonsrod
BH (Bald Handles) reminds me of this....

620916b930ad1ab50d762ef269c6f41f.jpg

This is wholly on topic because this guy is a Who fan since the classic era and was in the show last year ;)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Feb 28, 2017, 07:46 am #24 Last Edit: Feb 28, 2017, 07:51 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Feb 27, 2017, 07:46 pm
This is wholly on topic because this guy is a who fan since the classic era and was in the show last year ;)

And is the stuff nightmares are made of! :o Which episode or story was he in? And do you know what part he played? (Trivia like that is always nice, and fun.)

Quote from: The14thDr on Feb 27, 2017, 04:51 pm
I'd love to see your R2 Unit domes if you have any photos!

I need to dig them out of the storage box. They got packed up when the water heater flooded the TV room. The shelving unit they were on didn't go back - water damage - so not all of my nicknacks came our of their boxes. As soon as I find them I'll take a few snaps and find a good place to post them.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

Feb 28, 2017, 09:54 am #25 Last Edit: Feb 28, 2017, 09:55 am by rassilonsrod
This is Corey Taylor from Slipknot. He played the roar of the Fisher King. Tom Baker is his Doctor :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

The14thDr

Mar 10, 2017, 08:09 pm #26 Last Edit: Mar 10, 2017, 08:13 pm by The14thDr
Okay, so this update is WAAAAYY overdue. I've had the photos on my phone for a couple of weeks, I've just never gotten round to posting them. :P

Here is the second ear pod:
IMG_0456.JPG

I also attached the left-hand ear to Handles' head using a lot of double-sided tape and PVA glue.
IMG_0457.JPG

galacticprobe

Mar 11, 2017, 04:28 pm #27 Last Edit: Mar 11, 2017, 04:29 pm by galacticprobe
Handles is coming along really nicely, 14th! The ear pods look spot on.

Quote from: The14thDr on Mar 10, 2017, 08:09 pm
Okay, so this update is WAAAAYY overdue.

And remember... we never hold anyone to a time table when it comes to posting Updates. People post when they can. (We all know how life gets in the way - work, school, house maintenance, under the weather, Auton invasion, etc. ;))

Dino.

Cardinal Hordriss

This is looking really good.

Character Options seem to have lost interest in Doctor Who, when you think of the random characters they made figures of that only appeared in the show once, now we just get occasional repaints of 5 inch figures (Having said that I wouldn't mind some different colour schemes in 3.75 inch daleks) but I have been holding out for a new voice changer Cyber helmet to make my own Handles from. The Cybusmen helmets were really popular I can't think why they haven't done it yet. Rant over. If yours turns out well, and I think it will, you might consider  molding it in fiber glass or something to produce others as kits.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

Karomak

Quote from: galacticprobe on Mar 11, 2017, 04:28 pm
Auton invasion

I've had five of those to stop this month alone, 2 in 2005, a re-attack >:(

But on a serious note, this prop is really starting to come along fantastically.  :)
What are you gonna do? Moisturize me?

-The 9th Doctor, The End Of The World, 2005.