Apr 27, 2024, 03:36 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

A Glasgow box at Avoncroft...

Started by dalethetimelord, Apr 21, 2005, 03:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dalethetimelord

Apr 21, 2005, 03:56 am Last Edit: Feb 03, 2010, 08:48 pm by Scarfwearer
A TARDIS-ish style box from Glasgow (another of Ward's, I think!) with an earlier wooden Police Box, which I think came from the newcastle area, I can't remember - I'll check up and report back on that.  As usual, the Time Lord in the pic is getting a call as he's about to leave for his holidays!!

Theyalwaysphoneasyouleave.jpg
They always phone as you leave...

ironageman

Apr 21, 2005, 03:18 pm #1 Last Edit: Feb 03, 2010, 08:47 pm by scarfwearer
Also, you can just see a Police Post on the left of the picture.  I mention this because I happen to find them rather groovy.

I _think_ that the wooden box is from Coventry, and was supposedly made in the 1950s... is that right?

The Glasgow box has Met-style top signs, which is worrying but perhaps this was done to appease the Who fans.  Similarly it's been painted dark blue in Metropolitan Police style - even the background of the 'Police-Fire-Ambulance' sign is blue rather than the usual red.*  Probably the telephone has been adapted too, so that one can receive calls from five billion years ago...

*MODIFICATION to original post: evidently the telephone panel is now the correct red. Aw, what am I going to moan about now?
leonard cohen  1934-2016  standing by the window where the light is strong

Mark

Apr 21, 2005, 10:33 pm #2 Last Edit: Feb 03, 2010, 08:47 pm by scarfwearer
Have some pictures of the Police Post at Criche if you want them e-mailing Ironageman.

Its painted the dark blue/black colour.

Its a baby TARDIS acording to my missus  :-/

ironageman

Apr 26, 2005, 03:21 pm #3 Last Edit: Feb 03, 2010, 08:48 pm by scarfwearer
Yeah! Let me see the baby Tardis!

There used to be one in the middle of Oxford but it's gone now - it was the main attraction of the town as far as I was concerned - though the Lewis Carroll connection came a close second.  (Oh and Morrells beer, but that's gone too I understand...)
leonard cohen  1934-2016  standing by the window where the light is strong

Mark

Apr 26, 2005, 03:47 pm #4 Last Edit: Feb 03, 2010, 08:48 pm by scarfwearer
There was one in Rotherham town centre, don't think its still there anymore, I spotted it when I was in Primary School.

There isn't even the Lewis Carrol connection in Rotherham ;D

mobius

I say, don't they lock these things? but I suppose everyone carries their Tardis keys with them, or sonic screwdrivers. no handyman should be without one. I'm a handyman (literally), I've got one. the old plastic one from the 80's that takes batteries and makes a buzzing sound. I'd keep it with my tools but it's a bit fragile and would probably not survive a week in their company.
It's always a matter of time...

Jam Jar Lurker

Does anyone know which Glasgow box this was originally?

Francïs
"Have courage, and be kind... Where there is kindness, there is goodness. And where there is goodness, there is magic."