Apr 19, 2024, 10:33 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

10th Doctor Zygon DNA Detector

Started by The14thDr, Feb 04, 2017, 03:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

Feb 04, 2017, 03:13 pm Last Edit: Feb 07, 2017, 07:45 pm by The14thDr
I finally started working on my Zygon DNA Detector this afternoon. ;D I began by printing out the templates that I created earlier today.
IMG_0165.JPG

I then began cutting out several nets for the scanner, which will be assembled then glued together to form the body of the device.
IMG_0169.JPG

More updates soon.
Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

The14thDr

Feb 05, 2017, 11:56 am #1 Last Edit: Feb 05, 2017, 11:57 am by The14thDr
Today I started working on the lower half of the device. I began by cutting out two hardboard rectangles to sandwich the wire drums between.

For the drums themselves I'll be using a piece of 10mm plastic tube and some wooden dowel (I've yet to find anything that's the correct size for the third drum.)
IMG_0195.JPG

More updates soon.

davidnagel

WHAT?! WOOD?! In what is meant to be a cardboard build?! You sir are welcome here no more!
Regards
David

The14thDr

Haha!! ;D ;D
There's a bit of everything in this build: cardboard, wood, clay, plastic, possibly some 3D printed pieces.... even metal! ;D

davidnagel

Regards
David

Scarfwearer

It's okay: hardboard is cool. I use lots of it. It even sounds like cardboard. :)

Crispin

galacticprobe

Feb 06, 2017, 06:01 am #6 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2017, 06:02 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: davidnagel on Feb 05, 2017, 08:58 pm
WHAT?! WOOD?! In what is meant to be a cardboard build?!

Quote from: Scarfwearer on Feb 05, 2017, 10:28 pm
It's okay: hardboard is cool. I use lots of it. It even sounds like cardboard. :)

And what is wood when you really stop and think about it? It's simply unprocessed cardboard! :D

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Feb 06, 2017, 07:54 pm #7 Last Edit: Feb 07, 2017, 07:44 pm by The14thDr
Quote from: davidnagel on Feb 05, 2017, 10:11 pm
Nooooooooo!

This update definitely isn't for you then, David. ;D I'll warn you now; woodwork and metalwork ahead! ;D ;D

Quote from: Scarfwearer on Feb 05, 2017, 10:28 pm

Crispin

Quote from: galacticprobe on Feb 06, 2017, 06:01 am
And what is wood when you really stop and think about it? It's simply unprocessed cardboard! :D

Dino.

Precisely!! ;D ;D

------ Update ------

The bottom of the device is slowly beginning to take shape. I sandwiched the dowel and the plastic tubing from the previous update between the two pieces of hardboard, and added two of the cardboard boxes to the top and bottom of this assembly.
IMG_0203.JPG

For the main body I assembled the largest net and cut two holes in the side for the rocker switches (which will be arriving on Wednesday.)
For the handle I cut a section off a metal drinking straw and glued this to the inside of the box.
IMG_0207.JPG

Finally for today I assembled the top of the detector's body. I began with another cardboard net which I assembled and glued another plastic tube inside. I then glued two strips of hardboard (sorry David :P ;D) to the bottom of this.
IMG_0202.JPG

More updates tomorrow.

The14thDr

Feb 07, 2017, 07:34 pm #8 Last Edit: Feb 07, 2017, 07:44 pm by The14thDr
Today the rocker switches arrived for the Zygon detector. (I was really surprised considering they weren't supposed to arrive until tomorrow. ;D) I clipped these into place in the main body:
IMG_0208.JPG

I then glued this main body to the lower half of the device. It's finally starting to look like a DNA detector. ;D ;D
IMG_0211.JPG

The14thDr

Feb 09, 2017, 07:34 pm #9 Last Edit: Feb 11, 2017, 11:00 pm by The14thDr
Today my antenna arrived, so I assembled two more cardboard nets for the side of the scanner and attached the antenna to the inside.

I also added the top portion of the scanner (made from a cardboard net, two strips of hardboard and a length of plastic tube.)

My dad also dug out some 22mm copper pipe for the final drum on the bottom of the scanner. He was kind enough to cut and sand it to shape so that it would fit snugly into place.
IMG_0271.JPG

galacticprobe

Feb 11, 2017, 05:21 am #10 Last Edit: Feb 11, 2017, 05:21 am by galacticprobe
This is looking better and better with each Update, 14th! Keep up that fantastic work!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Thanks Dino! If all goes to plan I can fill in the gaps between each of the boxes and begin painting the device today.

Then it's onwards and upwards to figuring out how to replicate those circuit boards. However, I may have an idea....... ;)

Stay tuned for updates.

Karomak

It's looking really good so far, really starting to take shape!  :)
What are you gonna do? Moisturize me?

-The 9th Doctor, The End Of The World, 2005.

The14thDr

Feb 12, 2017, 02:00 pm #13 Last Edit: Feb 12, 2017, 03:23 pm by The14thDr
Quote from: Karomak on Feb 11, 2017, 11:35 am
It's looking really good so far, really starting to take shape!  :)

Thanks Karomak!! :D

------ Update ------

This morning I painted the DNA detector, so next week I can make a start on all the little greeblies.
IMG_0294.JPG

More updates soon.

The14thDr

Quick update.

My uncle kindly donated a couple of old circuit boards to use for the Zygon detector. My question is this: how do I remove all of the components without using a soldering iron (as I don't really have access to one)? Would I be okay to just remove them with a knife?

Thanks in advance.