May 01, 2024, 10:03 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Perception Filter Key

Started by Davros Skaro, Jan 31, 2017, 05:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Davros Skaro

Jan 31, 2017, 05:56 am Last Edit: Jan 31, 2017, 06:08 am by Davros Skaro
I just tried to do some soldering on a sim-card, & just touching it with a heat controlled soldering iron, the segments started to come away from the soft base, so I think they just used a bit of brass with lines scratched into it, to make it look like a sim-card, then covered it with araldite to hold it all in place & disguise it. Also they would have put all the components all together first then placed on the key & araldited them in & covered it all as well.

Here is the "messy" key I have tried to do. Well almost the best I can do with failing eye sight.

100_0092.JPG

Chris.
Chris.

galacticprobe

Jan 31, 2017, 06:50 am #1 Last Edit: Jan 31, 2017, 06:50 am by galacticprobe
That's not a bad job at all, Chris. The key certainly looks the part. And I think you're right; they probably put all of the components together on a "base" of sorts first, and then more than likely superglued that to the keys. They may have even superglued the components in place. Dabs of regular glue touched up with silver paint once the glue dried would have made for convincing solder joints. (After all, these things weren't intended to be seen in close-up for more than a second or two. I don't think the props department had fans with pause buttons on their DVRs or DVD players - scrutinizing the details - in mind when they made these keys.)

So your key looks just fine. If you want to fine tune the build and make another one, that's up to you; after all the Doctor did have three to go round. But as yours stands now, it looks great!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Davros Skaro

Thanks for the compliment Dino, I was thinking of making another one, if I can find my container "keys" that I have somewhere, I liked to collect "old" keys, so have a few. I have plenty of bits & might get a piece of brass shim for the "chip" part, It might work better. Oh yes, mustn't forget the araldite to cover it after. LMSO  :D

Chris.

Chris.

The14thDr

Okay, how did I manage to miss this one? This looks great, I think you've managed to capture the feel of the original prop wonderfully. Bravo!

I love little discrete props such as this, that you can wear/carry around in everyday life and no-one will even notice, let alone know what it is. ;D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"