News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Chiswick High Road Box

Started by markofrani, May 15, 2008, 08:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

theppcbkey40

Jul 23, 2016, 03:24 pm #30 Last Edit: Mar 12, 2018, 09:46 am by hb88banzai
Hello.

I recently came across a Twitter account called old London, which had / has a couple of pics of a Met Police Box.

No more information, like where it was, when it was or which type box it was, but its a good photo nonetheless.

Thought it would be good to upload it here, hope that's ok.

Twitterc43170b.jpg

EDIT: Topic post and responses merged with relevant Box Topic - banzai
Nigel Mathews

russellsuthern

That's a lovely photo.
Looks like it could do with a lick of paint!

Thanks for sharing!

Russell

petewilson

Hi,
That's the Chiswick High Road box and was taken in the late 1940's..
More photo's of this box can be found in the best forum on tardisbuilders at;-

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=740.0

Pete

theppcbkey40

Hello

I wonder if the weather was decent in 1948, some of the windows were open? I should have checked before I uploaded this pic, ah well...never mind.

Before I go, a few questions.

Did the boxes ever have any modifications made to them for the female Police officers or were they all the same inside?

And finally, why is there so few colour images of Police women and Police boxes?
Nigel Mathews

Mark

Hi there,

Yes some of the Windows are open but as for the weather in 1948, I couldn't say!

I would say the reason there are so few pictures of Police Boxes with female police officers is there were very few frontline WPC's at the time. Even up to the early 1970's the role of women police constables was mainly office bound or dealing with incidents regarding other women or children.

I'm unsure what sort of modifications you were thinking of but they were all pretty much the same inside, a desk across the wall with the telephone on one end, a drawer, a first aid box, a coat hook and on some boxes a electric heater.

scruffy57

79049288.jpg

Is it a new box?

Apologies if so

Scruff

petewilson

Scruffy57 it really is best to check the site first before posting repeats..

This one is ;-

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=740

Pete

hb88banzai

"Unknown Box" Topic merged with correct Metbox Catalog entry.

Angelus Lupus

Had to hunt for this as I hadn't saved the name when I did this one:
Chiswick High Road Box2_c_AL.png
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

lym

Looks stunning! I love this photo, even if the box is worn and scratched. The all-dark blue colour scheme is a rare one, but I really like the way it looks.

Volpone

Furthermore, it's all blue, dark blue, and it looks to be very much a matte blue instead of the glossy paint of the '60s boxes.  Very interesting. 

So the back windows don't tip in either, do they?  Or they'd be banging into the side windows. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

hb88banzai

Apr 13, 2018, 11:29 am #41 Last Edit: Apr 13, 2018, 11:35 am by hb88banzai
It's a Mark 3 - all the windows opened except those in front. There was just enough room to clear each other.

We're still in the near post war period, so whatever the paint was it was pretty worn (look at all that dark staining in the colourised version) and catch-as-catch-can as to type, quality and colour. And no, I wouldn't really call this a dark blue, more a medium - darker than the pre-war colours, but not as dark as the later Royal Blue of the 50s.

BTW, the sign colours should be a bit richer blue. All the copies of the real thing we've seen started out a lot more saturated, though time and sunlight do take their toll.

Angelus Lupus

Richer signs? Easy  ;D
Chiswick High Road Box2_c_AL2.jpg
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

hb88banzai

Now that looks better.

Rassilons Rod

Saw this on Facebook. They suggested it was in Hammersmith. I've got no no idea  :D459842_603578819652399_1131106615_o.jpg
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.