Apr 20, 2024, 09:00 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Ark In Space Props

Started by elkad, Jan 18, 2017, 07:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elkad

Quote from: Davros Skaro on Feb 16, 2017, 09:39 am
I've got 108 screen grabs from the show of the guns, med units, & other bits, what else would you like?

Do you have a close up of Noah's gun belt? The best spot I know is the part where he's pulling his bubble wrapped hand from his pocket. I'm wondering how that truck pin works on his belt.

Davros Skaro

Mar 10, 2017, 09:44 pm #16 Last Edit: Mar 10, 2017, 09:54 pm by Davros Skaro
This is the first time you see it on him;
NDVD_040.jpg

This is the closest view of it, I zoomed in & enlarged it.
NDVD_069.jpg
NDVD_069.1.jpg

Looks as if it is a pin & cotter pin type clip design belt.
Hope these help. If the close up isn't clear enough, you save the normal one to your HDD then you can enlarge it to where yo can see it clearer.

Chris. :-)
Chris.

galacticprobe

Mar 11, 2017, 04:48 pm #17 Last Edit: Mar 11, 2017, 04:49 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: elkad on Mar 10, 2017, 06:53 pm
Which do you think I should use for the second set of stripes, black, dark red, or silver?

Me, personally? I would go with the red/silver set. It would give a little more "zing" to an otherwise plain black grip. When you think about it, they probably had more than one of those props, which would explain the difference in stripe patterns. (They had loads of those Moonbase Alpha lasers in 'Space: 1999', and when you pause an episode when a scene shows seven or so on a weapons rack, you can see that even those had differences in the little colored rectangles that were down the side of the grip.)

So even mass-produced props are different. (I could never figure out why that was, unless dozens of blank props were thrown at people who were told to "paint them up nice" without giving them the painting guide.)

But that would be my choice: the red/silver stripe combination.

I hope some of this babbling helps with your decision.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

elkad

Apr 09, 2017, 05:36 pm #18 Last Edit: Apr 09, 2017, 05:43 pm by elkad
Quote from: Davros Skaro on Mar 10, 2017, 09:44 pm
NDVD_069.1.jpg
Chris. :-)

It's definitely a Schrader Pin for a trailer hitch.
trailer-hitch-pin.jpg

What I'm wondering is what the pin is connected to.
Anyone know how to sew....ah... that type of belt together. I absolutely know no sewing references, to describe or ask what to get to make this belt.

Davros Skaro

Apr 10, 2017, 12:00 am #19 Last Edit: Apr 10, 2017, 12:02 am by Davros Skaro
Looks more like this sort of pin & rivet (I think they are called a Clevis, but don't quote me)

HPC-500.jpg
sae-clevis-pins.jpg

Chris
Chris.

elkad

elkad

Davros Skaro

Quote from: elkad on Apr 10, 2017, 04:44 pm
Quote from: Davros Skaro on Apr 10, 2017, 12:00 am
sae-clevis-pins.jpg

Chris

Any ideas on how to sew it into the belt?

Make a hole in the front band, & another piece behind it, sewn to the front band or visa-versa, depends which way looks better. Then put a Lanyard (cord) on your cotter pin so you don't lose it & you'll be set.

Chris.
Chris.

elkad

I'm trying to figure out the mechanism of the fission gun. I have two ideas, 1, I could use the same method I use with my TCE & attach plastic slips that act like springs opening the individual prongs when pushed up. Or 2, I found a video on a mechanical blooming flower & could give me some ideas on the prongs to the gun. If anyone else has any ideas or video I could use, please let me know. :)

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: elkad on Apr 10, 2017, 04:44 pm
Quote from: Davros Skaro on Apr 10, 2017, 12:00 amsae-clevis-pins.jpg

Chris

Any ideas on how to sew it into the belt?

He said "don't quote me" 😜

I would use a large outer dianeter washer to stop it pulling through.  :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

elkad

Found a close up video of the mechanism & an instructable on how he made it. :)

https://www.instructables.com/Ever-Blooming-Mechanical-Tulip/

elkad

I'm still trying to work out the opening mechanism to the fission gun. I come across a video with one of the actuate props & took a screen capture. Now all I need is a clean screen capture of the mechanism open, or ask the prop owner if I could see the inner workings.

Fission Gun Prop.jpg

Rassilons Rod

What a great video! I hope the exhibition is still on when I get back to London in January 😆
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

elkad

Quote from: Rassilons Rod on Dec 26, 2023, 10:26 amWhat a great video! I hope the exhibition is still on when I get back to London in January 😆

If you come across this prop, can you ask for details on how it works, some pics with the emitter blades open, or if its possible, to look at the internal workings? I'm stuck on how to make my prop work.

WonderWheeler

Jan 06, 2024, 06:55 am #29 Last Edit: Jan 06, 2024, 07:40 am by WonderWheeler
Great exhibition and great review. Thanks to the videomaker for lingering on the text of item descriptions long enough to get it into focus. So we can stop the video when the content is especially loved. Not everyone can travel so far. Good job.

I suspect the blades or pedals of the gun are hinged where the screws are visible. Some kind of shaft down the middle hidden by the pedals, would then connect to little lever arms of some kind also attached to the pedals (or one side of each hinge), causing movement of the shaft to push the pedals open. And in reverse, to retract. A small ring around the end of the shaft would attach to the other end of the short lever arms, through 6 little linkages attached to it.