Apr 18, 2024, 11:50 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Scottish Lamp

Started by chriskingbees, Jan 17, 2017, 02:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

chriskingbees

I really have no idea where to post this, but as it is, technically speaking, in a shop, I decided upon here. My apologies if "I got it wrong again, Dad" :) To quote the immortal Dick Emery :)

Did we all see 'Bargain Hunt' yesterday? 16/1/17 If not, it's on BBCiPlayer still. (Go to 15mins) Anita Manning, guest presenter and 'Professional Scotswoman lol' Asked the dealer what this was, and he was right, although he got a few little things wrong, and completely omitted to point out it is 'Likely, from, given the colour' a former Glasgow box, or maybe Edinburgh' £295, but it's in Lincolnshire, too far, even if I could afford the price

Glasgow lamp.JPG

KB

galacticprobe

Jan 18, 2017, 05:15 am #1 Last Edit: Jan 18, 2017, 05:23 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: chriskingbees on Jan 17, 2017, 02:53 pm
I really have no idea where to post this, but as it is, technically speaking, in a shop, I decided upon here. My apologies if "I got it wrong again, Dad" :) To quote the immortal Dick Emery :)

No, KB; I think you've got this in the perfect place. And while technically speaking it's not really a "prop", it is something from a Police Box or Post, and it is in a shop.

Did we all see 'Bargain Hunt' yesterday? 16/1/17 If not, it's on BBCiPlayer still.

We Yanks haven't seen any 'Bargain Hunt' since BBC America stopped showing British programming (aside from a few hours on Saturday nights) and started showing nothing but re-runs of US shows (anything 'Trek', CSI, US films; the wife actually went to their corporate site to complain about that; we'll see what happens with that). I mean, really; we pay for that channel so we can watch British programming, not re-runs of 30-some-odd-year-old US shows!

She's got an iPhone; I'll have to mention BBCiPlayer to her. Maybe we can even download it on to the Mac.

Anita Manning, guest presenter and 'Professional Scotswoman lol' Asked the dealer what this was, and he was right, although he got a few little things wrong, and completely omitted to point out it is 'Likely, from, given the colour' a former Glasgow box, or maybe Edinburgh'

Well, not having watched that one, from what you've said, at least we can give him a little credit for trying. I've gone into antique shops before and spotted things that I knew more about than the shop owner, mainly because I grew up with some of those things in my house (or my gran's house), and the shop owner was a lot younger than I was. Probably a case of age and experience (or lack of one) ;).

£295, but it's in Lincolnshire, too far, even if I could afford the price

It's a beautiful lamp, to be sure, and price aside, if the location is too far for you, just think of how far it is for me... and there's this thing called the Atlantic Ocean in the way! Ah well, maybe one day I'll get hold of one of those lamps; I really like the look of them. (If I had the right tools and knowhow, I could probably scratch-build a replica; the lens would be the tough part to find.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

ward westwater

Do you know what shop it was in?

starcross

Mar 21, 2018, 12:32 am #3 Last Edit: Mar 21, 2018, 12:55 am by starcross
Did we all see 'Bargain Hunt' yesterday? 16/1/17 If not, it's on

Youtube! For all the People off Island eh.

Turns out the dealer is a man named Gary, and its in the Hemswell Antiques Centre as far as I can tell.  
(Over 375 antique dealers for furniture and collectables, on a former bomber airbase with cafe. Address: Caenby Corner Estate, Hemswell Cliff, Gainsborough DN21 5TJ, UK Phone: +44 1427 668389 Email: enquiries@hemswell-antiques.com Website: http://www.hemswell-antiques.com)

The lantern itself is a bit pricey at 300 quid though. But its complete as far as I can tell. The lantern glass is early style as it matches the clear glass I have from Edinburgh. The thick glass was coated red inside with some sort reflective stuff.

The later glass was thinner and amber red in colour all the way through (I own both types).

Lanterns.jpg

It's certainly worth going after, but it might be possible to contact the centre and see if you can access the dealer Gary directly to purchase. Why travel when we have a mail service and a credit card eh?