Apr 20, 2024, 06:10 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Capaldi tardis

Started by brenk9carter, Jan 09, 2017, 03:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

davidnagel

Such a clean build! Very jealous of the clean builds.

Looking lovely with just the signs :)
Regards
David

brenk9carter

Feb 05, 2017, 06:30 pm #61 Last Edit: Feb 05, 2017, 06:38 pm by brenk9carter
today i made and put on the wall surround/door jam or whatever its called
i had to make to radius on it with the router and i cut a rebate out of the back so that the panels on the wall sit in behind it. silly me forgot to take a pic of the rebate... oh well
IMG_8510.JPG
i haven't cleaned it up yet but i will when i cut the ply for the walls

i also made this last night because i could
i know its not the most accurate but it'll do
IMG_8511.JPG
i think ill do this for my Tardis key when i have it  :D
Bren

brenk9carter

Feb 06, 2017, 08:40 pm #62 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2017, 10:11 pm by brenk9carter
she has walls finally ;D ;D
IMG_8521.JPG

i have to say shes starting to look a whole lot more Tardisy now
IMG_8517.JPG

here's a closer look at the wall surround
IMG_8531.JPG
tomorrow ill be starting work on the doors and the wood to make up the squares on the sides
Bren

Davros Skaro

Quote from: brenk9carter on Feb 05, 2017, 06:30 pm
I also made this last night because i could
i know its not the most accurate but it'll do
IMG_8511.JPG
i think ill do this for my Tardis key when i have it  :D

Nice job on the key, they're not easy to soldier to seeing you have to heat nearly the whole key to soldier anything to them. Well done.

Chris.
Chris.

brenk9carter

Quote from: Davros Skaro on Feb 06, 2017, 09:42 pm

Nice job on the key, they're not easy to soldier to seeing you have to heat nearly the whole key to soldier anything to them. Well done.

Chris.

Thanks, it did take a while to get the key hot enough and i think as a kind of proof of concept it worked
Bren

brenk9carter

Feb 11, 2017, 08:49 pm #65 Last Edit: Feb 11, 2017, 09:24 pm by brenk9carter
I'm back after about a week of idling ( crazy i know ) but that's mainly because there hasn't really been much to update about.

in that time I have put the upright bits on the walls and I have made some of the horizontals ( just the tops and bottoms )
IMG_8549.JPG

all cleaned up and put in place
IMG_8558.JPG

a closer look at the corner
IMG_8559.JPG
its a wall workshop in here
IMG_8561.JPG

today i went to see another Tardis that someone had made however he was in in the process of rebuilding it as it had completely rotted from being outside for 5 years
as you can see these are the back and side walls of which there isn't much left
IMG_8557.JPG

there really wasn't much to salvage even though here the front doesn't look too bad.
IMG_8555.JPG

I'm not looking forward to this moment however the materials i am using is all high quality and the ply is exterior ply so it should last a bit longer than 5 years ( hopefully)
Bren

Davros Skaro

Feb 11, 2017, 10:06 pm #66 Last Edit: Feb 11, 2017, 11:55 pm by Davros Skaro
WOW, love the job your doing on yours, it's coming along very nice. Sorry about your friends TARDIS, this is why you allow it to breath & if possible have it off the ground an inch or two. I haven't built one, but I had & I mean had, a wooden boat that rotted out on me. So I hope you don't have to worry too much if you give everything a go coat of paint & can seal the timber surfaces. I DO wish you the very best. keep up the good work, your doing great so far.

Chris.
Chris.

brenk9carter

Feb 11, 2017, 10:53 pm #67 Last Edit: Feb 11, 2017, 10:53 pm by brenk9carter
Quote from: Davros Skaro on Feb 11, 2017, 10:06 pm
WOW, love the job your doing on yours, it's coming along very nice. Sorry about your friends TARDIS, this is why you allow it to breath & if possible have it off the ground an inch or two. I haven't built one, but I had & I mean had, a wooden boat that rotted out on me. So I hope you don't have to worry too much if you give everything a go coat of paint & can seal the timber surfaces. I DO wish you the very best. keep up the goo work, your doing great so far.

Chris.

thanks for the kind words. I do plan to put it on some sort of platform to keep it off the ground but i dont need to worry about that yet. and i have had experience with rotten boats as well, its not fun is it.
Bren

Bob's your Uncle

Feb 12, 2017, 02:40 am #68 Last Edit: Feb 12, 2017, 02:43 am by Bob's your Uncle
Your craftsmanship is exquisite and your photography is wonderful.
The Gorilla Glue brings back a lots of good of memories.  ;)

Keep up the good work.
Greg.
"Listen. All I have to do is dive into another dimension, find the time traveler, help her escape the monster, get home before the entire dimension collapses, and Bob's your Uncle."

'Hide'  S07 E09

Volpone

I was going to say that in some regards, your friend's box looks in better shape on the inside than mine, until I realized the entire bottom half was missing on the top wall in the stack.  It is actually quite familiar to my build before the renovation.  So if I may...

The rails and stiles on the walls don't appear to be beveled.  This is the way I did my build too.  As it happens, this allows water to settle there and get behind it.  On the inside, that's where my walls rotted the most and there's a nice "++" pattern of scraped away rotten plywood. 

I think I did do a couple things right on the initial build.  OK.  I did 1 thing right.  Maybe.  And a friend suggested something that seemed smart enough that I immediately did it. 

My floor isn't part of the TARDIS.  It is essentially a pallet that is laid down inside the TARDIS, with a sheet of plastic under it.  This allowed for some limited ventilation from the first day of the build.  My friend suggested getting her up off the ground and that seemed smart, so I put bricks under each of the corners (there's a sheet of plastic under the "pallet."  I trimmed it slightly smaller than the floor in the hopes that it would keep moisture from coming up through the floor instead of catching moisture running down from the walls.  I'm not sure how successful I was.) 

Initially, I thought if I kept it as tight as possible, moisture couldn't get in and if I kept it dark, vegetation wouldn't grow inside.  The problem is, moisture always finds a way in.  I suspect that even if everything was 100% watertight, I'd get condensation on the interior walls.  And mold loves dark places.  From this board I got the idea that the Scottish police boxes had a vent built into the signal lamp, so I wound up drilling a vent hole under the lamp (which initially wasn't designed to light up and even now is lit up by a solar lamp so I didn't really need a hole for wiring, but it serves...ok as a vent).  I also made gaps under the POLICE BOX signs to allow some ventilation.  And I put in real windows (at first I'd just painted the plywood grey and glued the "windows" over it) so sunlight would fight mold. 

Lastly, this goopy rubber roof patching compound has been applied liberally and has thus far held up better than any other caulking efforts. 

Oh, really, really lastly, I did have a couple spots where the panels rotted through like on your friend's box.  Luckily I had some leftover Hardibacker from when I tiled my bathroom and I replaced rotted plywood with that.  So I have the beginnings of a concrete box like the original Met Boxes.  But I hope I don't wind up replacing everything with Hardibacker. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

brenk9carter

Quote from: Bob's your Uncle on Feb 12, 2017, 02:40 am
Your craftsmanship is exquisite and your photography is wonderful.
The Gorilla Glue brings back a lots of good of memories.  ;)

Keep up the good work.
Greg.

thanks, I'm not sure if any good memorys will come from the glue as the bleddy stuff seems to get everywhere
Bren

brenk9carter

Feb 12, 2017, 08:38 pm #71 Last Edit: Feb 12, 2017, 08:50 pm by brenk9carter
things are starting to get a whole lot more squarey in here.
IMG_8562.JPG

gluing on the horizontals
IMG_8569.JPG

a straight on view. it looks a little curved because of the camera lens
IMG_8565.JPG

after I've done all the sides like this i will start work on the doors
Bren

brenk9carter

Feb 15, 2017, 01:36 am #72 Last Edit: Feb 15, 2017, 01:47 am by brenk9carter
oooh look what I've got  ;D
IMG_8573.JPG

a pic of the sticker for those who want it
IMG_8574.JPG

i put some on a bit of scrap wood but its not dried yet so it still looks a bit too glossy
IMG_8582.JPG

I think when its on it'll look pretty good

oh and all the walls now have all the rails and stiles attached
Bren

Volpone

BLUE PAINT!  Possibly the most important moment in a TARDIS build.  BLUE PAINT!   ;D
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Scarfwearer

Quick tip:
If you use a white primer it will take more paint to cover, and any scuffs or paint chips will really stand out (as they have on my build).

A darker coloured primer may be better with a dark paint.
I'm certainly no expert, though.

Crispin