News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Witch's Familiar Dalek Gunstick

Started by elkad, Jan 08, 2017, 07:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elkad

Jan 08, 2017, 07:21 pm Last Edit: Jan 08, 2017, 07:21 pm by elkad
It always starts with a single piece. This is mine  ;D

A 4" Christmas ornament for the main sphere & a half a 4" sphere for the back.

DSCI0014.JPG

DSCI0015.JPG

elkad

Jan 12, 2017, 07:28 pm #1 Last Edit: Aug 01, 2017, 06:51 pm by elkad
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=7236.0
galacticprobe suggested I link the reference page to my prop build in my next update
(Dalek Voice)- I AM YOUR SERR-VANT, I AM YOUR SERR-VANT, I AM YOUR SERR-VANT

Using my drill press & drimel, I beveled some PVC tube (I forget the size), for the plug in tabs at the base of the handle.  
Dalek Hand Gunstick 01.JPGDalek Hand Gunstick 02.JPG

The tube was to big for the wire cable so I cut some smaller tube to fit inside. (snug fit)
Dalek Hand Gunstick 09.JPGDalek Hand Gunstick 05.JPGDalek Hand Gunstick 07.JPGDalek Hand Gunstick 08.JPGDalek Hand Gunstick 06.JPG

I got the Idea from a Dalek builder on YouTube to use knitting needles for the gun's role cage.
https://youtu.be/QhXTHVEyuHk

Dalek Hand Gunstick 04.JPGDalek Hand Gunstick 03.JPG

galacticprobe

Jan 13, 2017, 06:56 am #2 Last Edit: Jan 13, 2017, 06:56 am by galacticprobe
Knitting needles for those guns' "roll cages"... Brilliant idea! It sure beats cutting up wire coat hangers. Knitting needles are stronger, even the thinner ones, and you can probably find them in the right color (silvery) and not have to worry about painting them, or bending them by accident. Great find and hint with that video, elkad! So far it looks like your build is off to a great start.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

elkad

Nov 27, 2017, 09:04 pm #3 Last Edit: Nov 27, 2017, 09:30 pm by elkad
I just started back up on my Witch's Familiar Dalek Gunstick today & made some progress.

I'm making the plug part at the bottom of the gun, using a 1" to 1" coupler & a 1" to 1 1/2" coupler.
Dalek Hand Gunstick (4).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (5).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (6).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (7).jpg

I used the coupler to mark a cut off point & gap line.
Dalek Hand Gunstick (8).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (9).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (10).jpg

Dalek Hand Gunstick (11).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (12).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (13).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (14).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (15).jpg

I used a leftover 4" pipe cap I used for my Sea Devil Heat gun prop to make the three prongs on the bottom of the gun.
Dalek Hand Gunstick (16).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (17).jpg

I'm using a broken, old, a/v cable for the small cables.
Dalek Hand Gunstick (18).jpg

I used my drill gauge, witch is just drill holes in a 2x4 to find the right hole to hold the small cables.
Dalek Hand Gunstick (19).jpg

I angled my drill press to drill 10 holes in the pvc part. Stepping up from the smallest bit to the one I measured for the cable.
Dalek Hand Gunstick (20).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (21).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (22).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (23).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (24).jpg

I cut another lip in the 1" pipe & continued to cut out a 1 1/2" pipe for the bottom. I used a 1 1/2" pipe connector to mark out a state cut. Dalek Hand Gunstick (26).jpg
(I'm going to have to look over the prop & mark out the pieces to find out what part is going were. I'm suddenly lost.)
Dalek Hand Gunstick (25).jpg

I cut up a 4" pipe, heated it & flatten it to make the tip of the plug.
Dalek Hand Gunstick (27).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (28).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (29).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (30).jpg

elkad

Nov 29, 2017, 04:52 pm #4 Last Edit: Nov 29, 2017, 04:56 pm by elkad
Dalek Hand Gunstick (31) edit.jpg
Dalek Hand Gunstick (32).jpg

sand the head & glue on the plug like prongs & the big cable tubes

Dalek Hand Gunstick (33).jpg
Dalek Hand Gunstick (34).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (35).jpg

now for the other side of the gun
I made 7 rings, all the same size put them on the handle pipe, (1"), & stacked them all together, ground them at an angel then removed them form the pipe to grind flat, each ring.

Dalek Hand Gunstick (36).jpg

The tube at the top is the leftover piece from the 1 to 1-1/2 connector.
Dalek Hand Gunstick (37).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (38).jpg

I cut the pipe handle & small wire long, to give me plenty of room to work with grasping all those wires, that & I can change the length of the handle later if I need to.

Dalek Hand Gunstick (45).jpg

So, what do you think so far? :)

Davros Skaro

looking great so far, keep up the good work!

Chris.
Chris.

elkad

Dec 07, 2017, 08:40 pm #6 Last Edit: Dec 07, 2017, 09:00 pm by elkad
Making the disc to hold the wire connectors, has bin difficult. The wire connector disc hast to be rounded with the ball joint. I tried two methods. Use a pipe cap & cut off the tip hoping the curve to it is the same as the ball joint, or flatten some PVC pipe & use a mold to round it out to the shape of the half plastic ball joint, in this case, a metal Christmas ornament.  

Dalek Hand Gunstick (46).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (47).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (48).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (49).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (50).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (51).jpg

Comparing the two, both aren't fitting the ball joint, but the flatted PVC will look better in thickness, aka small thickness, & easier to heat & flatten around the ball.
Dalek Hand Gunstick (52).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (53).jpg

I cut out too much of the center so when I heated the PVC it expanded & had to make a fitting ring so I can glue the pipe connector on the bottom.

Dalek Hand Gunstick (54).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (55).jpg

I glued on the wire connector rings & estimated were the rest went, via pencil line. (I should of made circle stencils of the connector rings for more accuracy.)

Dalek Hand Gunstick (56).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (57).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (58).jpg

I drilled holes for the small & big wires.

Dalek Hand Gunstick (59).jpg

The next step is the tabs & LED ring around the ball joint, painting the handle, & the Dalek Gun PVC ends.

Dalek Hand Gunstick (60).jpg

The14thDr

"Would you like a jelly baby?"

elkad

Dec 08, 2017, 07:57 pm #8 Last Edit: Dec 08, 2017, 08:09 pm by elkad
Measuring out the center of the ball joint was mind bending.  ???

I tried a cross laser, not accurate. I had to have a level laser to find the middle. I tried the string method, stretching a string from on end to another, not accurate. The string was never tough enough & slipped out of my hands several times. Then I tried lining up the lines using a stenciled out circle, folded both ways to make a cross. This one worked. Line up the two dots on ether end of the sphere & draw half way up, turn & draw the other half.

Dalek Hand Gunstick (61).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (62).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (63).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (64).jpg

I made sure it was lined up with the drill by scraping the top with the drill press. And ever so gently, lower the drill till it melts out the hole.

Dalek Hand Gunstick (65).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (66).jpg

I used a silicon calking to glue the ball joint to the rings & wire connector part. I can still slide it of If I need to.
The instructions say I have to wait 72 hours to cure.
Wile I wait. Anyone know how to make NSD gun pieces from wood or PVC?

Dalek Hand Gunstick (67).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (68).jpg

I forgot to mention I put a screw in the bottom part in the handle to put in electronics. The original has a hex nut, but I used a screw.

Dalek Hand Gunstick (70).jpg
Dalek Hand Gunstick (69).jpg

Davros Skaro

coming along very nicely, keep up the good work. great job too by the way!

Chris.
Chris.

elkad

Dec 11, 2017, 09:26 pm #10 Last Edit: Dec 11, 2017, 09:47 pm by elkad
I used the same measuring method with the ball as I did with the joint.

Dalek Hand Gunstick (71).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (72).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (73).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (74).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (75).jpg

I'm going to use a pipe connector & a 45 degree 3/4th pipe to hold the gun barrel, BUT, I'm not going to start cutting holes for the barrel just yet. I need to make the gun ends first,( what are the gun ends called, the one's that hold the gun ribs), to make sure I don't have the gun barrel to lo & the gun end wont fit.

Dalek Hand Gunstick (76).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (77).jpg

I'm working on the LED tabs. A little trial & error. I stenciled the shape off my computer screen to give me a rough diagram.

Dalek Hand Gunstick (80).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (78).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (79).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (85).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (86).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (87).jpg

For the front barrel part I'm using a couple 3/4 & 1" pipe connectors to make the tip of the gun. I don't knave a lathe or anything like it, so I'm going to have to do this buy hand.

Dalek Hand Gunstick (81).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (82).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (83).jpgDalek Hand Gunstick (84).jpg

So far so good. ;D

Dalek Hand Gunstick (88).jpg

elkad

Dec 13, 2017, 05:45 pm #11 Last Edit: Dec 13, 2017, 06:02 pm by elkad
I finished the LED tabs & stuck them on the joint with sticky tape to see if they'd fit.

Dalek Hand Gunstick (90).jpg
Dalek Hand Gunstick (89).jpg

I don't know how to blend or shade paint, so I gave the tabs two coats of black & ever so lightly, sparkled them with silver.

Dalek Hand Gunstick (91).jpg

As for the other pieces, also two coats of paint.

Dalek Hand Gunstick (92).jpg

The paint made the handle pipe stick when I put the gun joint on, so I sanded down the pipe & the inside of the joint connection to make an easier fit.

Dalek Hand Gunstick (93).jpg

Glued on the tabs.

Dalek Hand Gunstick (94).jpg

So, what do you think of my paint job?  ;D

Dalek Hand Gunstick (95).jpg

fridaysgoldfish

Davros Skaro

you've done a great job on this, keep up the good work!  :D

Chris.
Chris.

elkad

Dec 14, 2017, 07:18 pm #14 Last Edit: Dec 14, 2017, 07:20 pm by elkad
I stayed up last, night until 5 o'clock, to drill holes & solder in my tab LED's. I hot glued the LED's in the holes & coiled the LED terminals around a couple strands of copper wire. (not easy)

IMG_20171214_031644.jpgIMG_20171214_031931.jpg

I'm using a 3 AA battery pack I scavenged from an old toy that no longer works, to test the LED circuit.

IMG_20171214_105237.jpgIMG_20171214_105248.jpg

Now I have it wired up, I should have used one of the wires I glued in the ball joint for an actual power line. If I drill a hole in the handle tube it will leave less room for the pipe connections that will attach to the barrel.

BTW: I forgot to mention in an earlier post, I finished with my gun ribs.

IMG_20171211_204222.jpg