Apr 25, 2024, 04:17 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

7th Doctor's Tracking/Detector Device MKII

Started by Cardinal Hordriss, Jan 03, 2017, 02:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardinal Hordriss

I've taken a few liberties with the design as it was never seen in full but I think it looks enough like the original.

15841248_10154956765494319_1398812649_n.jpg
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

galacticprobe

Jan 04, 2017, 05:49 am #1 Last Edit: Jan 04, 2017, 05:50 am by galacticprobe
Well, I look at it this way... over the years (centuries?) the Doctor has used more than one model of Etheric Beam Locator and Electrical Detector, and probably other models of the same gadget that I can't pull off the top of my head (sonic screwdrivers not withstanding). So why wouldn't he also have more than one model of this Tracker Device?

As you mentioned, CH, the prop was never seen in full, so this model is just as good as the original in my 2,000-Year Diary. (And it looks pretty Smurfing cool, too!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Cardinal Hordriss

Thanks. I think I prefer this version, both in the case of the original props and my own replicas. I just hope pictures of the original don't suddenly surface making mine look inaccurate and awful lol.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

galacticprobe

Jan 05, 2017, 05:28 am #3 Last Edit: Jan 05, 2017, 05:32 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Jan 04, 2017, 01:44 pm
I just hope pictures of the original don't suddenly surface making mine look inaccurate and awful lol.

Easy, CH; you're invoking that "You are your own worst critic" adage. Even if highly detailed photos of the original prop do surface, they would in no way make your version look "inaccurate and awful". Like those other gadgets I mentioned, yours would just be another take (or model) on the Tracker Device, of which I'm certain the Doctor has more than one of! :D ;)

Like with any other prop replica (including TARDISes and consoles), you've just exercised your right to "artistic license" to give your version that personal touch that makes it all your own. Also, it looks just fine, so you have nothing to worry about.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Davros Skaro

I have to agree with Dino's comment above, like any props that a person makes, it "won't be perfect" to the original & that's what makes it so good, they are "all" one of a kind to the "builders" design.

Yous are still brilliant too.
Chris.

warmcanofcoke

I have fallen in love with the ones I just made. My satellite dishes are transparent and I haven't adorned my Battlefield version with the extra chrome bits. We only need to impress ourselves and enjoy the items we make. You have made an awesome detector. your builds inspire me. You Rock!
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

Cardinal Hordriss

I've never been on a forum quite like this, you're all so supportive, it's just what I need.

Davros Skaro

Jan 05, 2017, 09:46 pm #7 Last Edit: Jan 05, 2017, 10:00 pm by Davros Skaro
what did you use to make this? Is it a 3D printed item? looks really good.

Also, what happened to the other one you were building from torches, I can't seem to find it anymore?
Chris.

warmcanofcoke

Jan 05, 2017, 09:55 pm #8 Last Edit: Jan 05, 2017, 10:10 pm by warmcanofcoke
I want this place to be "the go to" forum. Like minds eventually converge on the net. I learn from the builders on this forum. We can easily pigeon hole ourselves. (Must look up the origin of that phrase sometime. I hope it wasn't from a behavior experiment with pigeons.) We shouldn't limit our creativity. Playing is how we learn to build stuff, and if we love what we have made, It feels good. Man I miss just documenting an experiment in the Props: Workshop http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php#13 ... It was fun, I didn't give up, by putting in to words what I was doing, I figured it out. I gotta do another one of those. I;d love to see your step by steps in a Build Diary sometime. This forum is sort of like a bunch of guys making a day out of repairing a vehicle, with music, a beverage, and some advice. I'm starting to feel like a librarian here. I love this place.

Cardinal Hordriss

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Jan 05, 2017, 09:55 pm
(Must look up the origin of that phrase sometime. I hope it wasn't from a behavior experiment with pigeons.)

Originally they were sort of nest boxes for pigeons and because of the resemblance the term came to describe the post and paperwork organizers in offices -

Pigeons.jpgPigeon-hole_messagebox_2.jpg

warmcanofcoke

Quote from: Davros Skaro on Jan 05, 2017, 09:46 pm
...Also, what happened to the other one you were building from torches, I can't seem to find it anymore?

Here it is in the Prop Gallery.
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=7018

galacticprobe

Jan 06, 2017, 05:01 am #11 Last Edit: Jan 06, 2017, 05:12 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Jan 05, 2017, 09:55 pm
We can easily pigeon hole ourselves. (Must look up the origin of that phrase sometime...

Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Jan 05, 2017, 10:03 pm
Originally they were sort of nest boxes for pigeons and because of the resemblance the term came to describe the post and paperwork organizers in offices -

This is indeed one of many uses of the word, though I think in the sense Nate is using it would be more in line with this use: "Pigeonholing is any process that attempts to classify disparate entities into a small number of categories (usually, mutually exclusive ones)." So what he's referring to is that if we weren't so supportive of everyone and anyone that wanted to build 'Doctor Who' prop replicas, then we could easily tuck our Forum behind one of those "You have to be a member to view the contents of this site" banners - much like all of those Yahoo! Groups, and some of the 'Trek' forums some of my friends keep trying to get me into. (Sorry, but it's nice to be able to look at the wares before joining something that exclusive.)

At least with TB, anyone can see all of our Build Diaries and Galleries without having to be a member. (They just can't view profiles or any of the "Member Only" areas, such as the Birthday Thread, or any of the "About the Members" threads. Granted, they can't post, but they can read posts and see what we have to offer.) And by allowing non-members to have a lurk around at all of the references we've got, and what our members have built, we're sort of like dangling that worm on the hook for the fish, and eventually the lurker will bite and become a member. Just think of how many of our members actually started out that way. (You don't need to reply to that one; just think about it and you'll remember if you were one of those, and how many new members had introduced themselves as having lurked for months or weeks, and I think you'll get my meaning, and Nate's.)

Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Jan 05, 2017, 05:52 pm
I've never been on a forum quite like this, you're all so supportive, it's just what I need.

To quote Red Green (and I'm sure others feel this way): "Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together." ;) ;D

Dino.

warmcanofcoke

galacticprobe

Jan 07, 2017, 04:53 am #13 Last Edit: Jan 07, 2017, 04:55 am by galacticprobe
Well said, Nate! (No wonder we get along so well. ;) :D)

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Dino.

warmcanofcoke

When all else fails, play dead ;)