Apr 20, 2024, 08:08 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Seal of the High Council

Started by warmcanofcoke, Dec 16, 2016, 05:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Dec 29, 2016, 09:45 pm #15 Last Edit: Dec 29, 2016, 09:45 pm by galacticprobe
They sell those silvery/pearly beads like in the first image Rob posted in craft stores. (These look to be about 1/4th-inch in diameter.) If the Seal is rendered for 3-D printing (with both front and back being the same), it could also end up being 1/4th-inch in thickness, which would make gluing those beads onto the sides relatively easy. Just a dab of superglue around the edge of the Seal and then the beads could be stuck against it and left to cure without having to worry about propping up anything for support.

As for XP not liking on-line apps, I'm sure if someone is already working on one of these (which is very probable; our 3-D guys really love things like this), as has been done before, someone would post a link to a hosting site where the STL files can be downloaded for others to use for 3-D printing. That, or sending someone who's already done one of the Seals a PM with your e-mail and asking if they would kindly send you a copy of the files, would get you some files that would let you 3-D print one of these.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Jan 29, 2017, 07:47 pm #16 Last Edit: Dec 21, 2017, 05:54 pm by The14thDr
I never noticed the interest in having this prop 3D printed before. I could put together a quick 3D model tomorrow and make it available to the public. For the measurements, I'm thinking this is 3" in diameter (including the beads.) That would make the seal itself roughly 2-1/2" in diameter.

For the beads around the edge of the seal, one of those Christmas garlands could be what we're looking for:
IMG_0156.JPG
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

troughtonstrousers

I made this for pertweesfrills using the rassilon coaster and beads

galacticprobe

Jan 31, 2017, 07:54 am #18 Last Edit: Jan 31, 2017, 07:56 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: The14thDr on Jan 29, 2017, 07:47 pm
I never noticed the interest in having this prop 3D printed before. I could put together a quick 3D model tomorrow and make it available to the public.

That would be so generous of you, 14th, and I think many members would be very grateful to you for it!

For the measurements, I'm thinking this is 3" in diameter (including the beads.) That would make the seal itself roughly 5-1/2" in diameter.

The measurements here are a bit confusing. (I think you may have meant 3" in diameter not including the beads, to get a total Seal diameter of 5 1/5".)

Looking at both versions of the prop (Classic and New), it looks like the whole thing might be a bit smaller - maybe 4" in diameter total. If we used those 1/4th-inch diameter beads to go round the outside, that would be 1/2-inch worth, which would make the seal part 3 1/2" in diameter. (Am I way off on this? I know others are far better than I am at guesstimating measurements. Could others please toss their input into this?)

For the beads around the edge of the seal, one of those Christmas bear garlands could be what we're looking for:

Yes. Every set of those I've seen have had beads of about 1/4th-inch in diameter. That would make the Seal 1/4th-inch thick as well. (And it looks like there are two colors of beads: the Classic one seen in "The Five Doctors" looks like it's got gold-chrome beads around it, while the New one from "The Time of the Doctor" looks like it's got white or pearlescent beads around it.)

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with, 14th. And I'm also interested to hear what others think of the diameter and other measurements.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Davros Skaro

Jan 31, 2017, 08:07 am #19 Last Edit: Jan 31, 2017, 04:19 pm by rassilonsrod
I remember seeing/reading somewhere that it was 3'' in diameter, but can't for the life of me think or find where.

Sooo .... I would say 3" seems to be the agreeable size, not including beads.

Chris.
Chris.

The14thDr

Jan 31, 2017, 03:36 pm #20 Last Edit: Dec 21, 2017, 05:55 pm by The14thDr
Quote from: galacticprobe on Jan 31, 2017, 07:54 am
That would be so generous of you, 14th, and I think many members would be very grateful to you for it!

No problem Dino, it's my little way of giving back to this wonderful community.

The measurements here are a bit confusing. (I think you may have meant 3" in diameter not including the beads, to get a total Seal diameter of 5 1/5".)

Looking at both versions of the prop (Classic and New), it looks like the whole thing might be a bit smaller - maybe 4" in diameter total. If we used those 1/4th-inch diameter beads to go round the outside, that would be 1/2-inch worth, which would make the seal part 3 1/2" in diameter.

Sorry Dino, I was very tired when I typed that post. ::) What I meant to say was, I'm thinking this is 3" in diameter (not including the beads.) That would make the seal itself roughly 3-1/2" in diameter. Again, sorry for the confusion here. ;)

(Am I way off on this? I know others are far better than I am at guesstimating measurements. Could others please toss their input into this?)

Quote from: Davros Skaro on Jan 31, 2017, 08:07 am
I remember seeing/reading somewhere that it was 3'' in diameter, but can't for the life of me think or find where.

Sooo .... I would say 3' seems to be the agreeable size, not including beads.

Chris.

So the general consensus on this seems to be that the seal itself is 3" in diameter (3-1/2" including the beads.)

I'll get working on that 3D model soon and make it available ASAP.

Kind regards, The14thDr :D

The14thDr

Jan 31, 2017, 05:21 pm #21 Last Edit: Feb 21, 2017, 11:27 pm by The14thDr
Here's a quick version of the Seal that I threw together. It's not perfect, but I don't really have the modelling skills to modify the seal so that it matches the screen-used version (I'm just working with an existing file that I had downloaded on my laptop.)

Looking at screencaps from The Time of the Doctor, I think the seal looks slightly thinner than the beads - closer to 5mm (~0.2") than the 6.35mm (0.25") of the beads. What are everyone else's thoughts on this?
seal of rassilon1.jpg

Kind regards, The14thDr :D

galacticprobe

Feb 01, 2017, 05:28 am #22 Last Edit: Feb 01, 2017, 05:28 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: The14thDr on Jan 31, 2017, 05:21 pm
Here's a quick version of the Seal that I threw together. It's not perfect, but I don't really have the modelling skills to modify the seal so that it matches the screen-used version (I'm just working with an existing file that I had downloaded on my laptop.)

That Seal doesn't look all that bad, 14th, but I can see what you mean about its looks. I'm not a 3-D modeller, but we've got some really talented members in that department among us. Maybe one of them could give you a hand with tweaking the model a little?

Quote from: The14thDr on Jan 31, 2017, 05:21 pm
Looking at screencaps from The Time of the Doctor, I think the seal looks slightly thinner than the beads - closer to 5mm (~0.2mm) than the 6.35mm (0.25") of the beads. What are everyone else's thoughts on this?

I know the Classic Seal had some overlap (at least on the front) where the "Seal" made what almost looked like a groove for the beads to sit in. That is, until you get a good look at the back and see that it was just the paper or card stock used for the Seal that wasn't trimmed down evenly. This, from the front, made it look like the Seal was a hair thicker than the beads.

Now the New Seal is an actual 3-D prop (as in not a paper "stick-on over a ring") with the beads around it, and the beads do look like they're a tad larger than the thickness of the New Seal. So, how is this for a proposal?

Mix and match: make the 3-D model to be used for printing the same thickness as the beads (1/4th-inch). This way it can hopefully please the fans of both versions. With things being the same thickness it would certainly be a nice crossover that could be used for the Classic as well as the New.

Does that make sense?

Dino.

Davros Skaro

Quote from: galacticprobe on Feb 01, 2017, 05:28 am
Now the New Seal is an actual 3-D prop (as in not a paper "stick-on over a ring") with the beads around it, and the beads do look like they're a tad larger than the thickness of the New Seal. So, how is this for a proposal?

Mix and match: make the 3-D model to be used for printing the same thickness as the beads (1/4th-inch). This way it can hopefully please the fans of both versions. With things being the same thickness it would certainly be a nice crossover that could be used for the Classic as well as the New.

Does that make sense?

Dino.

I like this idea Dino, for me, (liking the classic one), this works.  :D :)

Chris.
Chris.