Apr 24, 2024, 12:21 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

PA3 Police Post on eBay

Started by starcross, Dec 07, 2016, 11:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

starcross

Dec 07, 2016, 11:25 am Last Edit: Dec 10, 2016, 10:28 am by starcross
Up for grabs this time is a complete PA3 Police Post. It's in fairly good shape, but could use a serious sand blasting inside and out, and a nice re-paint.
As always ignore the auction description, it has bolts up the side so it is a PA3 Post. The dome looks like it has the ugly brackets so likely a 1955 Dome and 1955 panels. 

I really hope that one of the UK based Historians on this forum will buy this. I had a delusion of trying to buy it myself for about an hour after I saw it in my eBay search updates. However being Canadian it would be insane to ship across the ocean, and I'm in the middle of building my own wooden replica anyway.

chriskingbees, I am looking at you!
Your garden really could use a Police Post to go with all those Telephone boxes and Postal Boxes.

The last auction for one of these PA3 Posts was in July 2009 on eBay. It sold for £2700 according to my notes.
Unicorn Restorations had them listed for £6500, that was in 2010 they have since not advertised a price.  

For the Auction:
Opening Bid: £999.00
Item Number: 122256495253
Ends: Friday December 16, 2016 @ 17:23 GMT (5:23pm in the Afternoon)  
Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Police-Public-Call-Post-/122256495253

Description:
"Original Police Public Call post, city box painted sky blue, cast iron PA1 / PA2 model, manufactured 1930's, in use from 1930's to 1960's, 7 remaining on the streets of London which are grade II listed.  In need of restoration with a current valuation of £4000 as it stands.  Will consider shipping if costs met by buyer.  I reserve the right to remove this listing as it is advertised elsewhere."  

Comes with:
1) It is a complete set of the Cast Iron external shell, 2x sides, 1x Back, 1x front, PTO Door, Writing Desk Door, Storage/Electrical Door, Dome, Lantern Cap & Struts.
2) Both locks 22 & 23, they look correct for the ETAS brand based on size and how well they fit. However the pictures aren't close enough to tell beyond that.
3) A complete set of 4 signs, unfortunately they are badly faded but not cracked.
4) The City Style Lantern Glass, is only about 50% there. It's cracked almost in half, it will be hard to find a replacement.

Missing:
1) The Electrical Conduit assembly, that will be tricky to locate the correct replacement parts. However both Drawings, and real examples are available to be able to match to new parts.
2) The signaling Unit is also missing, that is another tricky one to find but can be faked well enough.
3) The Bell set 61, can still be found easily to be replaced. (Gents of Leicester fig 145 Bell)
4) The Shelves are an easy replacement from Drawings.  
5) The City Style Lantern Glass, is only about 50% there. It's cracked almost in half, it will be hard to find a replacement.
6) The 244 Telephone, a 200 Series telephone is easy enough to find. The 244 Base with Brackets will be harder but not impossible. However its just a set of brackets, so I can supply the pattern if required.
7) "Pull To Open" Sign, we have the specs & scans posted on the forum, however a replica would need to be made at a sign shop.

All Sides - Small.jpg

starcross

Ended - Unsold.jpg

Well its been ten days, and the PA3 Post went Unsold.
Not even a single bid, It makes me sick thinking I could have had it for so cheap.

Anyway, the seller said they would relist it again if it went unsold.

I sent them an email in the middle of the listing time explaining that they had a 1955 PA3 Model.
So hopefully the second listing with have a bit more truth to it when it goes up.