Apr 26, 2024, 06:10 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Jason's Mooncrest Dematerialization Circuit Kit

Started by 13drwho, Dec 05, 2016, 03:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

13drwho

I just completed building the Mooncrest Models De-materialization Circuit Kit. It's a good kit for the money, definitely worth building. I think it looks great once it's assembled, probably better than the real prop.

Mini Review
I think the proportions are perfect, but I think it's a little oversized based on pictures of the original prop in Jon Pertwee's hand. The rubber wheels are hard to work with. Gluing rubber is tricky and it tends to flex and break the glue. The main body (the center) doesn't have pins or holes to connect it to the clear arms. That means it has to be aligned by hand when gluing and can move before the glue dries.

All the parts are well cast. Very little clean up is required. The clear pieces have no bubbles in side and almost no surface imperfections. The wire are cut perfectly and fit great. The instructions are well written and the directions and diagrams are clear.

It is a very good kit. It has some quirks, but it makes a beautiful replica.

Mooncrest Dematerialization Circiut (KIT).jpg

troughtonstrousers

Should have paid £60 for the completed version like me save all the hassle I agree it's oversized

warmcanofcoke

why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Dec 06, 2016, 04:52 am #3 Last Edit: Dec 06, 2016, 04:52 am by galacticprobe
The Jason, do you think you could re-create that Pertwee reference image so we can see just how oversized the Mooncrest Demat Circuit is? A side-by-side would be a really great way to judge (allowing, of course, the size of Pertwee's hands).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

13drwho

I tried to duplicate the Jon Pertwee picture with the Mooncrest Model to verify that it's over sized. I can't even hold it the same way because of it's size. It is definitely too big. It's a nice looking replica, though. Here is the picture I took.

size reference.jpg

galacticprobe

Dec 15, 2016, 07:27 am #5 Last Edit: Dec 15, 2016, 07:27 am by galacticprobe
Oh yeah; definitely bigger... a lot bigger, than the original prop. But you're right; it is a beautiful replica. Mooncrest did a fine job with the kit, and you did a magnificent job putting it all together, especially with the clear green paint. That mustn't have been easy, getting it to look just tight with no brush marks or spray runs and drips on the pieces.

So, it's a bit oversized. You still did a magnificent build of it!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"