Apr 24, 2024, 01:24 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

First Doctor Ring

Started by Cardinal Hordriss, Dec 03, 2016, 04:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardinal Hordriss

On ebay UK, search "Arabic ring" they're not perfect but I think they're probably similar enough, they could be modified if you want something a little closer to the real thing.

s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600jhvk.jpg
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

The14thDr

Dec 03, 2016, 04:52 pm #1 Last Edit: Dec 03, 2016, 04:52 pm by The14thDr
Nice find, Cardinal!! ;D

Like you say, these aren't perfect, but I think they would make a nice modern-Era update of the First Doctor's ring nonetheless. Thanks for posting this.

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

Volpone

Dec 03, 2016, 06:33 pm #2 Last Edit: Dec 03, 2016, 06:37 pm by volpone
I did a thread on this awhile back.  I picked this one up at Walmart:  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bling-Jewelry-Royal-Engagement-Ring-Simulated-Sapphire-Rhodium-Plated/135709051
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Davros Skaro

Dec 03, 2016, 10:01 pm #3 Last Edit: Dec 03, 2016, 10:05 pm by Davros Skaro
I came across this one back in September & bought it for The Doctor's Ring, not exact, but will do.

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172312923038?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I like the ones you guys found too, Volphone yours would make a good one for a female Doctor. (also my wife would love it too).  :D

faa7ce73-f445-4897-a19b-6fdd12a58e89_1.98b533bc310486b9fd80bc5ff62e6c76.jpeg
Chris.

Cardinal Hordriss

Dec 03, 2016, 11:32 pm #4 Last Edit: Dec 03, 2016, 11:35 pm by Cardinal Hordriss
Volpone - that looks like it might be based on the wedding ring of the Duchess of Cambridge.

Davros Skaro - I like that one a lot.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

galacticprobe

Dec 04, 2016, 05:06 am #5 Last Edit: Dec 04, 2016, 05:27 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Dec 03, 2016, 11:32 pm
...looks like it might be based on the wedding ring of the Duchess of Cambridge.

It was actually the engagement ring, formerly the late Princess Diana's engagement ring: Prince Harry inherited it, and gave it to his brother when Prince William and Kate became engaged.

Some photos of the original (from various sources):
KateMiddleton-EngagementRing01.jpg

KateMiddleton-EngagementRing02.jpg

KateMiddleton-EngagementRing03.jpg

And now a replica available from Amazon for as little as $7 US:
Ring-Amazon.jpg
There are higher-priced ones on Amazon, but the average seems to be between $15 and $25 US. I wouldn't know the quality of the $7 ones, and once they start going above $30 it's getting a bit high; but whether for a quick 1st Doctor's ring or a surprise present for a loved one (holiday or birthday or other special occasion), $15 isn't a bad deal for a replica like this.

It looks like the one Steve (Other Steve ;)) found at Walmart. Some years ago after the Royals' engagement, I believe even the Franklin Mint was offering a replica that looked like the Walmart/Amazon replica, but they were asking far more for it. (Then again, at the time, that ring was all the rage.)

I have seen similar ones in costume stores around the Halloween season (usually for $1 to $3 US, plastic gem, adjustable "one size fits most" ring). I don't know if there are any costume stores open this time of year, unless for things like theater productions (professional, amateur, school, etc.), but perhaps one could find a similar ring at one of those stores if a store could be found.

Sources for replicas are all over the place (as are photos of the original); just start Googling "Princess Kate's" and one of the top suggestions Google offers is "Princess Kate's Engagement Ring". From there you've got roughly 398,000 hits to choose from. (Stick to the Google Image results; they're easier to weed through.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Cardinal Hordriss

My ring arrived today, had to go for a black stone as blue was out of stock in my size.

I was worried from the pics that it might look a bit cheap and tacky but it's actually a lovely piece, I'll definitely keep watching for a blue one.

Davros Skaro

Dec 06, 2016, 09:48 pm #7 Last Edit: Dec 07, 2016, 08:06 am by Davros Skaro
The one I got, they would resize for free, I got it to fit my little finger, I'll post some actual pics later.

***EDIT** here are the pics of my ring, I got, the blue stone it translucent, so I put my "2nd Doctor's" sonic pen light to show it better, as well as with out light.

showing the height of the stone.
100_0011.JPG
100_0012.JPG
100_0013.JPG
100_0015.JPG
Chris.

Volpone

I want a pinkie ring.  You don't really realize how many rings the early Doctors wore because jewelry for men has gone so far out of vogue, but Hartnell had at least 2 and I'm pretty sure Troughton had at least one and Pertwee, more than one. 

As an aside, this would actually be a practical thing for a time traveler.  I had an old theater instructor that wore a big diamond pinkie ring and he said that was what you did with your first paycheck--get the biggest ring you could afford, because if you were on the road and a show folded and the manager made off with the box office, that was your getting home money.  What are the odds that you've got pre-1963 pounds, 3rd Century dinars, or a Galactic Express Card with a post 3752 expiration date when you need it?  But you could probably trade that ring for whatever the coin of the realm was. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Cardinal Hordriss

Do not buy the rings I found, they purport to be steel but this wears off quickly to reveal copper. My apologies.

Davros Skaro

If they have stated steel or silver & it isn't, send them a message telling them, & tell them that you want a refund, which your entitled to, & if they refuse, send eBay a message reporting them for false advertising & non refund & they can reimburse you from the sellers account & sort it all out for you. can but try.  :-\
Chris.

galacticprobe

Dec 12, 2016, 05:35 am #11 Last Edit: Dec 12, 2016, 05:54 am by galacticprobe
Chris is right. First get hold of that seller, be polite, and tell them about that ring. Attach photos of the ring as well showing the bare copper coming through. Just be prepared for the seller to ask for the ring back when they send the refund. (The seller should have instructions on the listing for how to go about returning items for refund.)

On the off chance the seller had "Does not accept refunds/returns" in their listing, contact them anyway with photos of the ring. Be polite, but let them know it is not what you paid for, not what they described, and not what you want. Then ask them for suggestions on how to resolve the issue. If the seller is reputable, they'll work with you. If you get blown off, then contact eBay to start a claim against the seller. EBay will first contact the seller on your behalf in an attempt to resolve the issue. Most times eBay can get the seller to send a full refund (but will probably also have you return the ring). If eBay hits a brick wall with the seller, then the false advertising comes in. EBay will provide the refund, and delete the seller's account (or at least suspend it for about six months while they investigate the seller, and if they find more copper rings only lightly clad in "steel" (more likely some form of solder - tin), then they'll delete the seller's account).

If you're outside of eBay's limit (number of days since purchase) for starting a claim against the seller, they'll tell you to go to your bank that paid the seller and explain what happened. You can show them the listing, show them the false copper ring, and the bank (or whatever you used to pay for the ring - most probably the institution your PayPal account is connected to) will provide the refund and then they will go after the seller.

Voice of experience talking here. I've had both happen: paid for something that never came - the delivery date came and went, contacted the seller, got some excuse of backlog and that a shipment was going out the following Monday (a week later), new delivery date came and went, contacted the seller, got the same response, the same result, seller stopped responding to my messages, eBay said by that time it was past the deadline for starting a complaint, so my bank looked at the printout of the original listing and purchase date (if not retrievable from eBay then it will be in your PayPal records); they issued a full refund and then went after the seller. Then I had troubles with a return when a wrong item was sent. Seller was slow to respond to messages, and then talked about me paying return shipping plus a 20 percent restocking fee. So before the deadline was up I contacted eBay who then got hold of the seller. End result of that was the seller ended up sending me a printable pre-paid return shipping label and issued a full refund (with no restocking fee).

So start with the seller. If you don't get any positive results from them, then start a complaint with eBay. If the complaint deadline is past, then go to your bank and explain things to them. One way or another, you'll get your money back.

I hope some of this was helpful (for everyone).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Davros Skaro

depending on the price I've actually had the seller say not to worry about returning, especially when it's damaged, (they don't want to have to repair things), & still got a refund or replacement, which reminds me I haven't received my TARDIS pendant replacement.  :-\

mmm, time to chase it up.

Chris.

P.S. we all get stung sometime or another.

Chris.

Cardinal Hordriss

Thanks for the advice.

I'm currently working on customizing this Alchemy Gothic ring instead -

$_57.jpeg

troughtonstrousers

Here's mine and Hartnells  3EA7EBD0-CE79-49C3-8500-BB5D2C4C26DE.jpg