Apr 27, 2024, 12:49 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

BioDoctor900's Weeping Angel

Started by BioDoctor900, Nov 21, 2016, 12:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BioDoctor900

Nov 21, 2016, 12:00 am Last Edit: Nov 21, 2016, 12:01 am by BioDoctor900
So this isn't actually mine, it's my mates, but he's useless when it comes to prop making....he always ends up getting to fix his cock ups. So this is just on a female mannequin. He's had the latex head for ages and the wings are just made from cardboard and pipe insulation and they came off of the old costume. He originally used to wear it, but we decided it would be better as a display piece. So I had to remake the dress which was massive and made from a really crappy material. I told him to order some suede material as that would be the best material to use for it.

I started with the neck section, cutting out a template in newspaper first and then transferring the pattern onto the fabric. Then I just cut a piece of fabric and stitched it around, pleating it as I went round the top. Once the back and front were sewn on, I sewed the sides and put it through my vintage singer sewing machine. I left the bottom and put it on the mannequin to work out how the ruffles at the bottom would work. I pinned it in place and then started on the bottom part of the dress. The bottom I started with a hula hoop and sewed the fabric around the base. I then sewed a hem along the top and pushed a bit of elastic through, I then sewed up the side and then put that on the mannequin.

The only problem I found was the top of the dress and the pleating, so I fixed this with some pencil pleat tape and tacked this into the middle of the top half and pulled it tight, this seemed to work well. I then moved onto the mannequin. I sprayed it up dark grey, which was a close match to the suede, and then used a sponge and some lighter grey acrylic paint to texture it, as well as adding some stone effect spray and texturing some more. The wings are just strung around the neck, both for ease of taking it apart and not destroying the dress.

IMG_20161010_183355.jpg

IMG_20161120_133055.jpg

Thoughts??

BioDoctor900

Bob's your Uncle

I love the wings!
Outstanding.

Greg.
"Listen. All I have to do is dive into another dimension, find the time traveler, help her escape the monster, get home before the entire dimension collapses, and Bob's your Uncle."

'Hide'  S07 E09

galacticprobe

Nov 21, 2016, 07:50 am #2 Last Edit: Nov 21, 2016, 08:03 am by galacticprobe
Good grief, BioDoc; are you trying to kill us all?! :o (Remember: That which holds the image of an angel becomes itself an angel. That means you've just turned everyone's computer monitor into an angel!)

Everyone! The eyes! Look at the angel, but don't look at the eyes! (And if you have to blink, remember to blink only one eye at a time!)

Seriously; this thing is one creepy replica!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"