News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Revenge of the Cybership!

Started by fivefingeredstyre, Nov 17, 2016, 07:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fivefingeredstyre

Nov 17, 2016, 07:50 pm Last Edit: Oct 22, 2018, 07:07 pm by Scarfwearer
How do!

I recently purchased a garage kit of the Cybership from Revenge of the Cybermen. I thought it might be a quick, fun build to knock out over the next couple of weeks whilst I wait for the weather to improve to I can finish my Dalek (I will get the damn thing finished, I swear!)

Here's the ship, as seen in the story:

Reference%207_zpsutr8ueo1.jpg

Reference%201_zpshqqwhy3g.jpg

Reference%2012_zpsjxl5lkcg.jpg

Reference%2013_zpsetv8qaga.jpg

and here's the kit:

hgjyftrui76r_zps0exv8g2o.jpg

Disappointingly its not the most accurate, I have to say. The back section is too elongated, with the recessed section the wrong way round. Also there's some detailing missed off the nose section and the missile tubes are too high.

The funny little antenna they used to hang the model is missing as well and some of the surface detail is far too prominent.

However, unperturbed I think this can still be turned into quite a nice little replica. I don't think it's ever going to be completely screen accurate (For instance I'll probably keep a lot of the raised panel lines as they will make for interesting weathering details...)

More to come later...

galacticprobe

Nov 18, 2016, 06:58 am #1 Last Edit: Nov 18, 2016, 06:59 am by galacticprobe
Thank you for creating the Reference thread, and grabbing and posting those images for us, Steve. ("Proper Steve" ;) ;D) Your kit doesn't look all that bad considering. (I know the BBC doesn't release model kits for their SF shows the way production companies in the States do, as with all of the 'Star Wars', 'Star Trek', 'Babylon 5', et al shows and models of the ships in them - I wish they would - but until they do, as with the prop replicas and references for them, we work with what we can get.)

And would you share with us the place you got your kit from? (I know you said "garage kit", but sometimes people making those do have web sites so this could be one of those "Props from the Shops" available to us, depending on where they ship to and the shipping cost.)

I'm looking forward to seeing how you assemble this little goodie. As with many models - both professional and garage kits - they'll never be 100 percent screen accurate, but I'd bet you'll get yours close... very close.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

galacticprobe

Nov 19, 2016, 06:03 am #3 Last Edit: Nov 19, 2016, 06:05 am by galacticprobe
AH! Monsters In Motion! I know that site! I haven't been there in years, though. They used to turn out some really accurate models, but as I say it's been years since I've been to the site - at least 15, actually, now that I think about it. :P Never got anything back then because their prices were a bit on the high side, but the reviews their kits got on modelling web sites were all very good ones, and the photos of peoples' finished models - even those built straight from the box - were touted by their builders as being highly accurate. (I hope their master-makers for their moulds haven't changed, or started the "that's good enough" attitude, especially after how well modellers talked about them.)

I need to pay them a visit to see what they've got in their line these days, and what their prices are like now. Thanks for reminding me about them, Chris!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"