Apr 20, 2024, 08:22 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Jason's Anti-matter Detector

Started by 13drwho, Nov 14, 2016, 06:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

13drwho

I've always wanted to make the 5th Doctor's Anti-matter Tracker. I was very excited to see Warmcanofcoke's excellent captures! I took one of the captures and printed it so Peter Davisons hand was the same size as mine and worked out what I think are reasonable dimensions. There is a margin of error as I don't know precisely how his hand size compares to mine, but I think the dimensions I came up with are pretty close.

I modeled the casing in SolidWorks, the rest will be hand made. Take a look at my model and let me know what you think!! (real prop soon[I Hope])!!

Antimatter detector.JPG

warmcanofcoke

That is Gorgeous! I am glad my timely captures have motivated you into action. I will be watching this thread with interest!  ;D
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

13drwho

The housing is on order! Now I have to get the switch and indicators and I'm good to go!

warmcanofcoke

Be sure to share where you get them.  :D

13drwho

The parts are all here for the Anti-matter Detector!! I have already done some clean up on the housing and create a back plate out of sheet styrene. I have also used a screen capture to create a transparency graphic that will be backlit like the original prop. Onto the images!!!

The 3D Printed Housing
antimater meter housing.jpg

Parts
antimater meter parts.jpg

warmcanofcoke

She is a sight to be hold. Looking great. Can't wait to see more. encore.
:D

13drwho

This is finally complete!!!! I did take some process pictures so lets start.

I built a light box with four LEDs for the display. Her is a picture of the test
light box test.jpg

I installed the light box in the housing
light box installed.jpg

Here's a picture of the completed prop, the lights are on in the image on the right.
5th doctor antimatter detector.jpg

Here is a picture of what the backlit graphic looks like in the dark.
light box on.jpg

I intend to make a display stand so this can go on display in my console room. This prop has been on my bucket list since I first saw it. A special "thank you" to Warmcanofcoke for his awesome screen captures that made this prop possible!! Let me know what you guys think.

Davros Skaro

That's brilliant, a job very well done.  :D
Chris.

galacticprobe

Dec 21, 2016, 07:14 am #8 Last Edit: Dec 21, 2016, 07:14 am by galacticprobe
I echo Chris' statement. That antimatter detector looks amazing! Very well done, The Jason!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

This is a beauty! Can others order this housing?  ;D

Quote from: 13drwho on Dec 21, 2016, 03:54 am
Here is a picture of what the backlit graphic looks like in the dark.
light box on.jpg

I fear Omega is about to transfer......

13drwho

Thank you all for your kind word. I am very proud of how it turned out.

The model for the housing and the window are available on Shapeways. Search for 13doctorwho. Again, thank you to Warmcanofcoke for posting so many excellent screen captures!

elkad

Is your light circuit all one light or dose it switch in succession up the three light pattern, Green, Yellow, Red every time you switch the power off & back on?

If it is all one light, & you don't know to make the succession light pattern circuit. The simple thing to do is get a micro three way switch on the back of the box, to switch from one light to the other.

I was wanting to make one of these detectors with a slider on the flat side of the box to slide up & down the light strip.

I've looked all around & asked a lot of circuit Geeks, & no luck. I don't know how to speak Geek, I don't know were to look, & I can follow a simple circuit board as long as the diagram sez what parts to use & were to put them on the board. The complex diagrams involve math, & I am sill on a basic math level. Anything higher than single digits & I'm lost. (I sometimes wish I had calculator for a brain like the Dalek's, Then I would....) Sorry I'm rambling.  :)

13drwho

Elkad, here is a rough diagram of a circuit that will do what you asked for. There is a sketch in the bottom left showing what the light pattern would be for a three LED version, it could be adapted to more LEDs. I did not calculate the values, but it would be easy enough to figure out if you think you could use the circuit.

light pattern.jpg

elkad

Thanks, yes I can make this circuit. Now I need a list of parts & were to put them. Ah..... ???

(putting it together is the easy part, knowing what parts to use & were to put them is the question, well, for me anyway.)  ;D

13drwho

If you give me a couple days I can work out the component values and come up with a parts list. I recommend using a 9 Volt battery because of the voltage drops across the diodes. I assume you want to use through hole components for wire wrapping? It's actually a pretty simple circuit I just need to calculate resistor values.