Apr 19, 2024, 08:33 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

A Brighton Police Box... that still exists!

Started by dalethetimelord, Jul 30, 2007, 09:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tony farrell

Apr 22, 2016, 08:02 am #15 Last Edit: Apr 24, 2016, 08:24 am by hb88banzai
Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Jan 13, 2008, 12:21 am
It's an actual building, not an actual box.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Quote from: dalethetimelord on Jan 13, 2008, 12:50 pm
What were you expecting, the Yardley-Jones prop and an infinitely big interior?  It's still a Police Box as demonstrated by the reason these boxes were built, and they're too small to be a substation or station.

Quote from: Dalekoracle on Apr 21, 2016, 09:43 pm
It's Blue and Boxy. But there the similarity ends.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the remaining (Glasgow) boxes defined as 'listed' buildings for the purposes of planning and conservation laws? After all, weren't the original Police Boxes made primarily from concrete (which kind-of makes a nonsense of Martha Jones' statement in 'Smith and Jones' that "your spaceship is made of wood?!").

I'm glad that Peter Brachacki took his inspiration from a Gilbert MacKensie Trench-type box and not from one of the more 'idiosyncratic' Police Boxes dotted around the UK. Doctor Who could have been a very different kind of television show!

T

EDIT: Replies to part of this post split off to their own Topic here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=6742.0 -- hb88banzai

Mark

The police box in Sheffield is listed and that is wood, and has a TARDIS style inward opening door!

As per this topic, Sheffield had a couple of buildings like this one in Brighton. They were just tiny buildings with a toilet, sink, table and spare paperwork and were brick built. They were always known as Police Boxes.

Even in the early 2000s the key that was issued to every police constable which gave access to every police building (except equipment stores) was referred to as a "box key", obviously a hark back to the days a police box was commonly in use.

starcross

Quote from: Dalekoracle on Apr 21, 2016, 09:43 pm
check out 45 to 57 seconds.

It's Blue and Boxy. But there the similarity ends.

Brighton.jpg

Here is the screen capture for that time frame.
Its a lovely box, it reminds me of something I've seen but nothing exact comes to mind just now.

hb88banzai

Conversation concerning the wood vs concrete debate split off to its own Topic: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=6742.0

Yes, that is a lovely big Box. Kind of reminds me of some of the other big ones, but a bit different.