Apr 19, 2024, 07:35 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Second Doctor's Recorder

Started by keepwarm, Oct 27, 2016, 09:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

keepwarm

I didn't see any posts aboutt he recorders, so I thought to post them here. (mods can move/delete if this isn't needed)2nddoc01.jpgd2-2e-042.jpgd2-2e-052.jpgd2-2e-054.jpgd2-2e-091.jpgelib_2194083.jpghi000411146.jpg76ce1e649167691b7ce3d18cd70604ec.jpgafb7eee1aaebc9b2fd5f1d4bff857aaa.jpg

Rassilons Rod

I believe both versions are Moeck :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

troughtonstrousers

Hi these recorders are made by Ferris and are  Soprano / Descant Recorders, the blue is Troughtons own and would be substituted if there was a chance it would be damaged, the wooden used in Fury from the deep was only for publicity shots as it was never played in the actual story.

warmcanofcoke

why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

Davros Skaro

With the 2 tone blue ones, there are 2 versions as well, the spirals go in opposite directions.
Interesting point that they were his own too. I wouldn't want to stick a recorder in my mouth not knowing where it had been either. Just a thought.

Chris.
Chris.

warmcanofcoke

Oct 27, 2016, 10:17 pm #5 Last Edit: Oct 27, 2016, 10:17 pm by warmcanofcoke
The Photographic Negative could be flipped.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Oct 28, 2016, 02:42 am #6 Last Edit: Oct 28, 2016, 02:52 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: davros skaro on Oct 27, 2016, 10:13 pm
With the 2 tone blue ones, there are 2 versions as well, the spirals go in opposite directions.

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Oct 27, 2016, 10:17 pm
The Photographic Negative could be flipped.

This is true. Unfortunately anything we could use as a reference to determine whether the image was flipped isn't there: a console panel behind Troughton, the ring on his finger... If we had one of those to look at, then we would know for certain if the image was flipped. But the odds of having identical recorders with spiral colors going in opposite directions are extremely remote, so it's probably a safe bet that in the image where the spirals are going in the opposite direction, the image was flipped and we're looking at a "mirror" image, and that Troughton only had one such recorder.

Quote from: davros skaro on Oct 27, 2016, 10:13 pm
Interesting point that they were his own too.

Along these lines, the off-white trainers that Tennant wore in Series 2 were his own, and so were his "brainy specs". In one of the docimentaries they showed on BBC America a while ago, the costume designer said the eyeglasses gave her cause for concern because they were Tennant's own, and their policy was not to use anything for costuming that they didn't have a back-up for, and they couldn't find an exact match for the eyeglass frames. (The off-white trainers were easy; you can still get them today.) When they needed to give Tennant the sunglasses in "Planet of the Dead", if you look closely, when he takes off his glasses and uses the sonic screwdriver to turn them into sunglasses, the sunglasses he puts on have different frames: still tortoise shell, but a different style.

As for Troughton's recorder, there is someone on the Prydon Academy that made their own and detailed how it was made. (Prydon Academy: Member making Troughton's recorder) You have to be a member to view the threads, but it's a free sign-up to join, just like we've got. The replica recorder came out looking amazing.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

troughtonstrousers

IMG_0631.JPG. Bought I'd post mine

galacticprobe

Oct 29, 2016, 04:00 am #8 Last Edit: Oct 29, 2016, 04:01 am by galacticprobe
Wow! That recorder looks great! (And very familiar... You're not the one on Prydon Academy I've mentioned, by chance; are you?)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

troughtonstrousers

Nope you can check out my goodies on Instagram troughtonstrousers

troughtonstrousers

Hi the photo is flipped you can tell by the plaster (band aid) on his index finger

Davros Skaro

Also, his left hand is always above his right when playing, so it is flipped as it shows his right above his left which is wrong placement which I didn't notice before.

Chris.
Chris.

Volpone

Well someone beat me to the observation about the plaster/Band-Aid.  So I will just comment that the other interesting thing I got out of this was the ring.  I've assumed it was Hartnell's ring and that Troughton's hands are larger so he has to wear it on a different finger--but looking at these closeups, his hands must be so much larger that even on a smaller finger, he can't get it over the knuckle.  I wonder why he didn't wear it as a pinkie ring.
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

troughtonstrousers

That ring isn't Hartnells ring it's a substitute as he refused to hand it over after he left and his granddaughter still has it to this day

elkad