Apr 19, 2024, 10:35 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

TARDIS Console Upgrades (The14thDr)

Started by The14thDr, Oct 02, 2016, 10:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

Apr 08, 2017, 08:14 am #60 Last Edit: Apr 08, 2017, 09:37 pm by The14thDr
Thanks Davros Skaro. I was just curious as he also offered me a free print as a "gesture of goodwill" (I declined of course.)

I'll try my best to get the listing removed, but I can assure you I shan't be losing any sleep over this guy. :)

EDIT: thank you for reporting this guy Dino. Hopefully eBay should remove the listing and stop the seller from selling any more stolen files.
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

The14thDr

Apr 08, 2017, 09:39 pm #61 Last Edit: Apr 09, 2017, 06:33 am by The14thDr
Those of you with a better memory than I do may remember the keyboard stand that I was working on for the console last year: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=6389;start=45#firstPost (4th post down.) Well, today I finally got round to installing it on the console! ;D

In order for the stand to fit on the console properly, I had to cut a fair bit off either end with a saw. I then used these off cuts to make two little brackets for the stand.
IMG_0870.JPG

In the 30 degree heat of the shed, I glued the two brackets onto the console, before gluing the keyboard stand on top (at least with the sweltering temperatures, it didn't take long for the glue t dry ;))
IMG_0872.JPG
IMG_0877.JPG

As part of a photography project at school, yesterday I was able to take apart an old computer, and was allowed to take a couple of small pieces for the TARDIS.
One of these pieces was this little bracket (I've no idea what it's for inside the computer, but it looked cool ;) ;D) which I thought would make a cool phone holder for panel 3.
IMG_0895.JPG
IMG_0898.JPG

And if you follow http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=7430.0 build, you'll know I've been working on a way to have the extrapolator wired up to the console, so I glued an ethernet port to the edge of panel 2.
IMG_0878.JPG

Let me know what you think of this panel's refurb so far.

Kind regards, The14thDr :D

russellsuthern

I think it looks brilliant!!

Keep up the good work!

Russell

The14thDr

Thanks!! ;D

I don't think this build will ever be truly done; I'm constantly tweaking things and adding new parts (surely I must reach a point where I can't add any more? ;) ;D)

Karomak

Apr 08, 2017, 11:33 pm #64 Last Edit: Apr 08, 2017, 11:33 pm by Karomak
I LOVE the refurb! I really love the phone holder aswell
What are you gonna do? Moisturize me?

-The 9th Doctor, The End Of The World, 2005.

Davros Skaro

The bit you got from the computer case is what you pull out/remove so you can put a CD/DVD ROM in the case. so it's just scrap but ideal for what you want it for. I also have a few of them laying around in a box for "Just In Case" I need them. :-)

Chris.
Chris.

The14thDr

Thanks Karomak!! Just wait till you see what else I've got in store for the panel. ;)

And thanks for the info Davros Skaro! :) I also have a grill cover from the computer fan that I'm hoping will come in handy somewhere.

galacticprobe

Apr 09, 2017, 06:58 am #67 Last Edit: Apr 09, 2017, 06:58 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: The14thDr on Apr 08, 2017, 10:36 pm
I don't think this build will ever be truly done; I'm constantly tweaking things and adding new parts (surely I must reach a point where I can't add any more? ;) ;D)

Ah... spoken like a true Time Lord! ;D I love everything you've done on this so far. She's beautiful!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Thanks Dino. :) It warms my hearts to read comments like this (and I can hear the Old Girl's engines phasing in appreciation too ;))

Cardinal Hordriss

The keyboard shelf looks really slick, the Magpie sticker is a nice touch. Being in the garden shed is damp a worry?
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

The14thDr

It was originally, but my dad suggested that I cover the TARDIS with an old blanket when not in use, and she managed to make it through the entire winter without a single sign of damp.

The bottom of the plinth, however, (which is just a large hardboard hexagon) has curved upwards a little, and a few papers I have on a shelf in the shed have curled up a lot, but the TARDIS itself is fine.

Cardinal Hordriss

I see. It does look like a very clean and dry shed. My biggest worry would be large, sudden and unexpected spiders lol.

Out of interest do you intend on taking over the shed and doing it up as a console room or will you bring the console inside the house when it's finished?
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

The14thDr

Oh yes, the spiders are definitely a worry. LOL ;D ;D (Just now I went in to do a little work on the TARDIS, and discovered a giant wasp flying against the window, and two minutes later it's disappeared;D)

The console will be staying in the shed from now on (not enough room in the house) and I'm not allowed to make too many changes to the shed. However, I'm planning on adding some roundels and I have a Gallifreyan light box from the 2010 console room that I'll be attaching to the ceiling.

galacticprobe

Apr 11, 2017, 05:28 am #73 Last Edit: Apr 11, 2017, 05:30 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Apr 10, 2017, 10:31 am
My biggest worry would be large, sudden and unexpected spiders lol.

Quote from: The14thDr on Apr 10, 2017, 11:00 am
Oh yes, the spiders are definitely a worry. LOL ;D ;D

Oooh, ick! Mega-arachnophobe, here! They might as well all be tarantulas as far as I'm concerned. One of my bosses showed me a photo he took of a Taiwanese Banana Spider that got into his house once when he was stationed overseas. With its legs splayed out (after his Thai wife knifed it in the back with her machete), the thing was about the size of a cat! Every hair on my body stood straight out; I even grew hair on the bottoms of my feet so it could stand out! (Hell, my hairs are standing out now just recalling this! :P)

Clowns and spiders - in the same category; if you're outside, keep moving along and stay away from me. Get too close to me, or if you find your way into my house, you die!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Apr 30, 2017, 06:11 pm #74 Last Edit: Apr 30, 2017, 06:42 pm by The14thDr
I was going to wait until I had a little more progress to report on this side project, but since I haven't updated in a while, I figured I'd post a slight teaser for my new time rotor.

The latest design (the Mk.3) was inspired by the Brachacki TARDIS console, with the help of http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4825.0, meticulously researched and put together by Tony Farrell.

IMG_1243.JPG