Apr 20, 2024, 09:01 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

TARDIS Console Upgrades (The14thDr)

Started by The14thDr, Oct 02, 2016, 10:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

Oct 02, 2016, 10:36 am Last Edit: Oct 02, 2016, 10:53 am by The14thDr
First of all, apologies for creating another build diary. However, I have a valid reason. My other thread is getting way too overcrowded with various different projects for my console room, so the posts can tend to wander a little (one post could be an update to the police box doors, the next could be about the Gallifreyan light box, and the next could be about some other side project for the room), which makes the thread more than a little difficult to follow.

So here goes........

The other day I found a really cool model of the fabricated dispenser from the late-Smith/Capaldi TARDIS console. I'm hoping have this 3D printed and fitted to panel 5 on the Old Girl (making it the third fabricated dispenser I've had on my console ;D.)
Screenshot_2016-10-01-14-37-51_kindlephoto-19985575.jpg

Screenshot_2016-10-02-10-27-00_kindlephoto-4170795.jpg

However, comparing this to a photo of the original control (above), I can see a couple of inaccuracies. First of all, the proportions of the model are slightly off; it looks too tall and thin. I quickly fixed this by increasing the width and length by 10% and reducing the height by 10%.
Screenshot_2016-10-02-11-18-11_kindlephoto-6725499.jpg

Another thing I noticed is that the four "claws" stand away from the ring that they are attached to, when on the original prop they sit flush.
Screenshot_2016-10-02-11-22-18_kindlephoto-6875509.jpg
Screenshot_2016-10-02-11-22-06_kindlephoto-6860597.jpg

And here are my rather primitive "blueprints", which show how I will split the model up for ease of printing, as well as allow for the lighting inside. I'm also thinking of remodelling the top half of the dispenser, to make it more accurate to the version on the actual console prop.
IMG_20161002_1130161_rewind_kindlephoto-7254975.jpg

More updates soon.

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

galacticprobe

Oct 03, 2016, 04:40 am #1 Last Edit: Oct 03, 2016, 04:40 am by galacticprobe
Looks like you've got some great improvements in mind for this dispenser, 14th. When you're done with the revisions, will you be posting a link to the files like you did for your lock cylinder?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Oct 03, 2016, 05:44 am #2 Last Edit: Oct 03, 2016, 05:45 am by The14thDr
Thanks Dino. ;D Yesterday I started work on rebuilding the top half of the dispenser, so another update will be on its way shortly. ;)

Quote from: galacticprobe on Oct 03, 2016, 04:40 am
When you're done with the revisions, will you be posting a link to the files like you did for your lock cylinder?

Dino.

Of course. ;D ;D I try to make all of my 3D models publicly available; it's my own little way of giving back to this wonderful community. :)

The14thDr

Oct 03, 2016, 04:11 pm #3 Last Edit: Mar 19, 2017, 11:21 am by The14thDr
As promised, here is a photo of the dispenser. I decided to just rebuild the entire top half from scratch, as there were a fair few inaccuracies. :P
Here you can see my model on the left, the original model on the right, and my reference photo in the middle.
dispenser_model1.jpg

There's still a fair way to go, but I'm happy with where I'm at so far. ;D

The14thDr

Oct 03, 2016, 05:08 pm #4 Last Edit: Mar 19, 2017, 11:21 am by The14thDr
Here's another screengrab of the original dispenser, rotated slightly to make it easier for me to extrapolate measurements:
dispenser perspective corrected.jpg

Today I also finished modelling the top of the dispenser, with the sunken ring for the yellow lights and a hole through the centre for sonic screwdrivers to be slotted in. Compared to the original dispenser, the hole is way too big, but I want this to be big enough for all of my Charatcer Options sonics, not just the Twelfth Doctor version.
dispenser_model2.jpg

I also started working on one of the final parts for the dispenser, the four claws that surround the socket. On the left you can see my rebuilt model, and on the right you can see the claws from the original model, with my reference photo in the centre.
dispenser_claws.jpg

Let me know which version of the claws are more screen-accurate below.

More updates soon.

galacticprobe

Oct 04, 2016, 04:45 am #5 Last Edit: Oct 04, 2016, 04:54 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: The14thDr on Oct 03, 2016, 05:44 am
Quote from: galacticprobe on Oct 03, 2016, 04:40 am
When you're done with the revisions, will you be posting a link to the files like you did for your lock cylinder?

Dino.

Of course. ;D ;D I try to make all of my 3D models publicly available; it's my own little way of giving back to this wonderful community. :)

Great! I feel the same way. 14th. It's why I've gone through an eye-bleeding process creating all of those St. John Ambulance logos, and the Encyclopedia Gallifreya labels, and all of those other graphics that people can use on their props and TARDISes.

I can't wait to see more of your improvements to the dispenser. So far it's looking really great! And as for the "arms/claws" you've rendered, going by the large, full image of the dispenser you posted, I'd say the claw on the right is more screen-accurate; the claw that's almost straight on in the full image is the same width from top to bottom (like the render on the right), and not "tapered" like the one on the left. Not sure about the "dividing line" just below the elbow on the right-hand one, though; I can't notice that in any of the actual prop's images. But other than that, I'd say the right-hand claw is the one to go with.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Thanks for the second opinion, Dino. ;D That dividing line is nothing to worry about, it was just left over from when I "cut" the claw away from the rest of the dispenser. The line is only a tiny surface detail, and I'm 99.9% sure it won't show up during printing. ;)

The14thDr

Oct 08, 2016, 08:53 am #7 Last Edit: Sep 23, 2018, 03:44 pm by The14thDr
The other evening I thought it would be fun to try out a new paint-job on the two secondary levers on panel 1. For the right-hand lever I reused some of the silvery-blue paint from my custom TARDIS key.
console_levers_repainted.JPG

The14thDr

Oct 10, 2016, 04:48 pm #8 Last Edit: Mar 19, 2017, 11:22 am by The14thDr
Over the weekend I finished painting the secondary levers. I applied a second coat of "worn penny" and silvery-blue paint to the levers respectively, before moving onto the weathering.
console_levers.JPG

Once the paint had dried I began rubbing black acrylic paint onto the levers. I'll admit, I may have gone a tad overboard with the weathering, but what's done is done. ;D ;D
levers_weathered.JPG

Hopefully I'll have more updates to the fabricated dispenser model soon.

EDIT: Here is a photo of the console's underside. Some time soon I want to take a couple of "night time" shots, to show off how the bottom of the console glows with the lighting (similar to the Eleventh Doctor's first TARDIS console.)
IMG_0620.JPG

BioDoctor900

Looking good 14th, one thing I've been thinking for a little while with your console is how it would look stained with some oak coloured stain. It would certainly work better aesthetically with the weathering youve been doing in my opinion and would make the components 'pop' a bit more

It's just an idea, but it's looking great. Keep up the good work bud

BioDoctor900

The14thDr

Oct 10, 2016, 06:44 pm #10 Last Edit: Oct 16, 2016, 06:47 am by The14thDr
Thanks BioDoctor. Staining the console is something I hadn't thought about doing, but now that you mention it, I think it would look really cool. ;D Would the stain still work as good on hardboard panels?

And yes, I have been going mad with weathering things recently (both with these levers and a couple of my other props) but I think it makes the console look more aesthetically pleasing (as if it really has been around for over 2000 years.)

I'll take a look into staining the panels soon. Thanks again for the suggestion.

The14thDr

Feb 02, 2017, 03:38 pm #11 Last Edit: Mar 19, 2017, 11:23 am by The14thDr
Once the weather picks up again I'd like to be able to make some more upgrades to the console, so for a while now I've been working on some new designs for the panels (mainly on scrap pieces of paper during my lunch break or a particularly boring lesson :P)

This design in particular is based around what I call the "rocks" that are already on the panel (i.e. the large switches that would be difficult to remove and relocate on the panel.) For this panel I was thinking of having a bank of Millennium Falcon-style levers, a Hartnell console movement sensor (the large rectangle in the top-right corner), a bank of toggle switches and miniature "piano-key" switches and a car air freshener. :P
panel 3 designs.JPG

For panel 5 I was thinking of removed the air vents and replace them with some sub-panels which will be covered in mostly custom-built controls, including the communicator device (which currently sits in a hole in the top-centre of the panel) in the bottom left-hand corner and substance analysis equipment in the bottom right-hand corner. I'm still working on this design, hence there being a lot of empty space. 8)
panel 5 designs.JPG

I also have a design for panel 4, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. :P I'll try to dig out the other designs if I can and post them soon.

The14thDr

Feb 18, 2017, 03:32 pm #12 Last Edit: Mar 19, 2017, 11:23 am by The14thDr
A few weeks ago I ordered some miniature toggle clamps (like the ones on the current console) for my panel 1 refit.

I then created this paper template for the new sub-panel (which will be installed in the bottom left-hand corner of the panel, where the old Hartnell lever was).....
IMG_0319.JPG

..... which my dad cut out of hardboard.
IMG_0323.JPG

The14thDr

Feb 19, 2017, 12:56 pm #13 Last Edit: Mar 19, 2017, 11:24 am by The14thDr
I put together this little graphic for the vortex monitor on panel 1. The vortex background was a free image I found online, and the Gallifreyan symbols are from a Google Image search.
vortex_monitor.jpg

The status is just "UB40" written in the Star Wars text (I was stuck for inspiration and Red Red Wine was playing on the radio. It makes no sense but we'll roll with it :P ;D)
For the time travel units I was inspired by this website, with a great explanation behind the meaning of it: http://echochamber.me/viewtopic.php?t=99027

EDIT: A link to the vortex background: http://www.freegreatpicture.com/lightning-and-optical/space-lightning-pictures-5455

Karomak

That looks so cool! I love the units to the side and the little status bit (thanks, I now have Red Red Wine stuck in my head  >:(  ;D )
What are you gonna do? Moisturize me?

-The 9th Doctor, The End Of The World, 2005.