Mar 29, 2024, 10:57 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Tardis in the post

Started by stonemason83, Sep 15, 2016, 06:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

stonemason83

Hello everyone,

This should be arriving Saturday from ebay.
Its a 9/10 scale replica, mdf and fibreglass construction.
Can anyone tell me anything about it?
All i know is its been signed at some point by Peter Davison.
I'll be renovating it when it gets here.

Looks like a Mcgann era to me.
Thoughts?

B

$_3.jpg
Shoes.?

Volpone

There are people here with a much better eye for the details than me.  And one photo doesn't really give you all the info you need.  Yep, it looks like McGann lock placement and phone panel font.  Hinges are on the wrong side for the McGann phone panel though, I think.  POLICE BOX signs aren't as pronounced either.  The panels look more rectangular like TOS props and the SJA badge with blue windows only occurred on the 1963-70-ish miniatures.  The other noteworthy thing is the hole on the one bottom panel.  It may be damage, but it would be about right for how they ran the electrical wiring into the prop in the old series, if I remember correctly.  At any rate, it will be easily enough remedied.  This summer I found a couple holes on bottom panels, where they'd rotted through and patched them in a...rudimentary...way, but they look fine. 

Oh, one other interesting thing, they cheat a bit on the base--likely to scale it down so it can fit indoors.  If you've got a high enough ceiling or you put it outdoors, you may want to put it on a base.  It should be fairly cheap and easy to do if you decide to.  Congratulations on your TARDIS.  Keep us posted when it shows up. 

Oh, and if you can, set up a camera on a tripod and get a shot of where you're going to park it before it shows up and then another shot of it in place so if you decide to do some photo editing, you can make a materialization sequence.  :)
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

stonemason83

Sep 16, 2016, 09:54 am #2 Last Edit: Sep 16, 2016, 10:38 am by stonemason83
Thanks for the reply Volpone,

I've been studying the various Tardis' through the years and to me it looks like a cross between Troughton and Mcgann on reflection.

The badge will be coming off as it doesnt sit right for me.
Pertwee is my Doctor so i'll hopefully be able to modify it to somewhere close to that, new signs and a repaint etc.
I'm currently building a pertwee era Dalek as well from scratch but saw this and fell in love.
It is flat roofed to go indoors and will sit in my conservatory since with my first child on the way we needed somewhere to put the pram!
My excuse to the wife anyway lol!
If it does'nt fit there it will be in his room!...

Its thought this could be a tpe 9/10 Scale.
I'd be interested in opinions on this as the seller has told me all he knows.
More photos will follow.

Thanks for the welcome  :D

B
No message is associated with this attachment.No message is associated with this attachment.No message is associated with this attachment.
Shoes.?

the_doctor

Nice! It looks like a modded TPE box to me. You got a bargain!  :)

russellsuthern

That is one nice looking TARDIS.
But I wanted to ask you, are you documenting your Dalek build here or on Project Dalek?
I'd love to know a bit more about it...
(Well, a lot more actually- plus pictures!)

Thanks,

Russell

watcher

Ahhhhh I saw that on eBay!
Definitely a "This Planet Earth" 9/10th TV box!

Looks great and a bargain at £600 :-)

DONT get it wet though or it will disintegrate pretty rapidly as its mainly MDF  :o

tony farrell

Quote from: stonemason83 on Sep 16, 2016, 04:11 pm
Hi. For those who asked. Quick pic of the Dalek.
I am on dalekforum but not posted.
Plan was to build a Dalek and if that went well build a Tardis after.
Been at the Dalek 9 months sporadically.
Had to have that Tardis when i saw it though.
Been on my ebay search list for well over a decade

BNo message is associated with this attachment.

What variant of Dalek are you going for? I assume from the shoulder section a 'classic series' version?

T

galacticprobe

Sep 25, 2016, 06:21 am #7 Last Edit: Sep 25, 2016, 06:23 am by galacticprobe
Stonemason, double check your image that you're trying to post. If it's a GIF or a PNG, then it has to be less that 500kB in file size. If it's a JPG/JPEG, then there is no file size limit, but there is a pixel size limit. Usually for build diaries, that limit is 1024 x 1024 pixels. Sometimes if the image is a little larger - just a little - it will still post, but the Forum software will resize it for the browser window. (Opening the posted image in a new window will let members see it in its full size.)

But if you're trying to post a JPG that's large, say 2500 pixels, or a PNG that's over 500k, then the Forum will hang on you. So make sure to check your image attributes. (If your image isn't that large by pixel, but is a PNG that's over 500k, then you may want to convert it to a JPG. That will drastically reduce its file size, and should allow it to post.) I hope this was helpful.

Dino..
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Volpone

Almost certainly based on the Newbery box.  Ankh keyhole, square (no quarter rounds) corner posts, short roof.  I think even the phone panel sign is right.  :)
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

galacticprobe

Sep 26, 2016, 04:09 am #9 Last Edit: Sep 26, 2016, 04:10 am by galacticprobe
This should give a better look at that phone panel (and the rest of the Old Girl, who is looking rather smashing!) without anyone having to strain their necks... or risking a vertigo episode while trying. :D

20160925_110414.jpg

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

stonemason83

Sorry for the photo neck ache
Shoes.?

galacticprobe

Sep 27, 2016, 04:33 am #11 Last Edit: Sep 27, 2016, 04:36 am by galacticprobe
She looks great, B, from a sideways point of view. ;)

If you're taking photos with a mobile device (and posting from one as well), you may want to check out this post: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=5617.msg66621#msg66621. It might help you out with the sideways photos. The blue letter paragraph is extremely important for anyone using a mobile device to take or post photos. (And if you still have troubles, just ask; help is only a "post" away!)

Dino.

Senseidale

Sep 27, 2016, 01:43 pm #12 Last Edit: Sep 27, 2016, 01:46 pm by Senseidale
I love the   POLICE PUBLIC BOX
                              CALL             Signage

Dale
"In 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important"

galacticprobe

Oct 02, 2016, 05:20 am #13 Last Edit: Oct 02, 2016, 05:30 am by galacticprobe
Neck-saver re-post!
20161001_144121.jpg

Erm, B, in case you haven't read this post yet (http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=5617.msg66621#msg66621), I really suggest that you do. The blue letter paragraph is extremely important for anyone using a mobile device to take or post photos. (And if you still have troubles, please ask; it is really hard to appreciate the detail in those sideways photos.)

You can correct the orientation of the photos and then go back and just edit your posts by deleting the sideways image and re-posting the corrected-orientation images. Then it would be very easy for all of is to appreciate the hard work that went into creating this beautiful Old Girl.

Dino.

stonemason83

Oct 13, 2016, 04:37 pm #14 Last Edit: Oct 13, 2016, 04:43 pm by stonemason83
Hi everyone.

Ive managed to get the photos on my mac now so hopefully i can drop a big update.Washed down.jpgsigns re cut.jpgpainted clean.jpgDetailing weathering.jpg

Its been washed down and sanded on the exterior.
I've fitted a bluetooth sound bar that links to the TARDIS FX library on youtube paired to a flashing fresnel lamp.
The ceiling is so low that their wont be much of a lamp housing. Hopefully i can get a god vid on youtube of everything in action.

More pics and details to follow......
Shoes.?