Mar 29, 2024, 05:49 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

My pride and joy and hello to all members

Started by paul friday, Sep 15, 2016, 01:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

paul friday

Firstly hello all I am brand new to this site I have been following this for a long time and thought it was time i joined :0)  I have been a huge fan of the show for approx 35 years, i have 2 daughters named Leela Rose and Amy Romana !! I started getting into the show just as th last Tom baker season was coming to an end and I went to Madam Tussuad's, and saw the props up close and I was instantly wowed by the Tardis, I had a huge fascination with It and I constantly used to steal my mums perfum boxed and turn them into model tardis es. Then approx 4 years ago I managed via EBay to acquire this Tardis I have been looking for a decent made prop for a few years but many are just not up to the mark on eBay and are rarely accurate. When I saw this i fell in love with it and had to have it, it was based in North Wales i am in Essex but well worth the drive to get here. It was in a sorry state and i have spent a great deal of time re painting her every 6 months as she lives out side my house along with 2 daleks, rigged up internal lighting. Its mainly fiber glass panels with wooden corner posts and light boxes. The posts are starting to rot so this will be a project for me this winter to replace these and get her back to her former glory.  I wondered if any of you know of the history of this box, this is almost the same as Time Rotors Tardis that was posted on this forum Oct 2  2009 at 5.29pm It may even be the same box ? so any info on its build history etc would be great. It has featured in several woman's day magazines, the local gazette, and BBC Essex.  I have made the box look more battered by spraying a mixture of black and graphite to the paint work to give it that authentic look and I also have painted the pebbled windows using a yellow tint and darkened the other panels to give it a less fibre glass look to the original look again gives her a more older feel to the box. Regards Paul WP_20160905_17_43_38_Pro.jpgWP_20160905_17_43_54_Pro.jpgWP_20160905_17_43_46_Pro.jpgWP_20160910_19_15_30_Pro.jpgWP_20160910_19_16_26_Pro.jpg

tony farrell

I particularly like the last photo of your Tardis underneath your floodlight and flanked by the two Daleks. That really is very atmospheric. And, you must live in a very honest neighbourhood to be able to leave two Daleks 'on guard' outside your house!

As regards the Tardis' provenance - I don't think it can be Mark's/timerotor's: Firstly, yours doesn't have the continuations of the panel dividers above the sign-boxes (which Mark's does). Secondly, your Tardis' lamp is much bigger than the one on Mark's and - thirdly - I can't see him parting with his Tardis! Like the Daleks, the Tardis almost becomes part of the family and I know there's no way I would part with my Dalek (or my Pertwee Console once it's finished).

In terms of your Tardis' proportions, she looks to be nearer the TV Movie version or - possibly - the Troughton/Pertwee version but with a stepped roof (retro) fitted. What a pity the person you bought her from couldn't help you with regards to her origins. Possibly someone here will be able to help identify her for you.

Regardless of her origins, she's lovely! (Why do I always think of Tardises as being shes? Hartnell's "ship" or Pertwee's "old girl", I suppose!)

Good luck with the restoration of the corner-posts Paul and don't forget to start a (re)build diary. As Dino will doubtless tell you, we love photos!

T

paul friday

Thanks Tony

yes lots of pics no problem the tardis does not quite sit square and the opening doors just catch on the floor slightly so when she is taken apart and re built this will be rectified.  The base of the tardis is fibre glass and there is currently a wooden pallet under this to able to walk onto the base this will have deteriorated also so this will be renewed, yes good area and all bolted down and hard wired to the house  so far so good no pranks to wake up in the morning and find a dalek in the middle of the road !! 

winter project for her is new posts and base, get her nice and square and doors opening freely, sign boxes replace and get them to sit correctly to sides of the box :0)

Paul

superrichi1a

Actually I think you may be wrong Tony!  :o Well, right, but wrong too!
Looking back at Timerotor's original pictures, I see a box that is damn near identical to this one. It has the same lamp, same overall dustinctive proportions and a very similar colour (though, you did say you'd repainted it! Not sure if you altered the choir too!)
But, on Timerotor's I'm pretty sure the box was 100% fibreglass (and maybe someone else knows, but I thought his was supplied through eBay too but collected in England?)
I wonder if this box does indeed share lineage with Time Rotor's, but perhaps is modified in some ways for strength and to replace broken bits? The last owner, for example, could have rebuilt the corner posts out of wood and tinkered with the signboxes and the way the lamp is housed too. That would account for both the striking similarities and subtle differences. Just my thoughts though, calling it like I see it from the pictures :)

Love the box and love the Daleks! Damn that gold one looks nice, I keep meaning to repaint mine that colour!
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

russellsuthern

Loving the box- especially the lamp & the windows, they look really swish.

But I wanted to ask you where you got those Daleks from? Build or bought? They look really amazing!

I don't know what it is, but TARDISes & Daleks just look so right when photographed together.

A great collection!

Russell

watcher

This box is the same as Time Rotors!
It was build buy a guy selling them on ebay a few years ago. I nearly bought one so recognise the design well! That fibreglass lamp gives it away lol
I'm guessing your windows are also cast in fibreglass too?

And yes, Mark's (Time rotors) has wooden corner posts too.

I'll have a look at home as I have lots of pics of Time rotors TARDIS from my visit that show the wooden corner posts quite clearly.

tony farrell

Quote from: superrichi1a on Sep 16, 2016, 10:11 am
Actually I think you may be wrong Tony!  :o Well, right, but wrong too!
Looking back at Timerotor's original pictures, I see a box that is damn near identical to this one. It has the same lamp, same overall dustinctive proportions and a very similar colour (though, you did say you'd repainted it! Not sure if you altered the choir too!)
But, on Timerotor's I'm pretty sure the box was 100% fibreglass (and maybe someone else knows, but I thought his was supplied through eBay too but collected in England?)
I wonder if this box does indeed share lineage with Time Rotor's, but perhaps is modified.

Ah, I see where you're coming from - I took Paul's comment to mean that it was Timerotor's box and that he (Timerotor) had sold it on to someone else before Paul bought it.

Of course Timerotor modified the roof section of his box so that it more closely resembled the TY-J version so, you could very well be correct and both Paul's and Timerotor's boxes originate from the same master mould.

As Paul has asked, it would still be interesting to know who made that master mould in the first place!

T

watcher

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Sep 16, 2016, 01:53 pm
Ah, I see where you're coming from - I took Paul's comment to mean that it was Timerotor's box and that he (Timerotor) had sold it on to someone else before Paul bought it.

Of course Timerotor modified the roof section of his box so that it more closely resembled the TY-J version so, you could very well be correct and both Paul's and Timerotor's boxes originate from the same master mould.

As Paul has asked, it would still be interesting to know who made that master mould in the first place!

T

As I said, I nearly brought the one Mark actually ended up buying!

I even had a topic about it a couple of site revisions ago (maybe TARDIS rebuilders, cant remember). Purple said that he had helped the guy with the dimensions for it.

The ebay seller is: "pelsprints" http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/pelsprints?_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2754
And I actually contacted him once about 5 years ago and he said he still had the moulds and would build me one, but he wanted about £1500 if memory serves me right.

But the construction of time rotors is very poor and it's falling apart now by all accounts, so glad I didnt in the end!

paul friday

Quote from: russellsuthern on Sep 16, 2016, 12:19 pm
Loving the box- especially the lamp & the windows, they look really swish.

But I wanted to ask you where you got those Daleks from? Build or bought? They look really amazing!

I don't know what it is, but TARDISes & Daleks just look so right when photographed together.

A great collection!

Hi Russell

Thanks yes they do look so good together makes it look more complete, when it was the 50th anniversary i had 4 daleks out the front one red cushing movoe dalek  the 2 NSD and 1 classic  it looked amazing oooh and i had an ood life size replica, k-9 and a earth shock cyberman   it actually looked like a exhibition out side my house needless to say it caught a great deal of attention inc the media.  The 2 NSD where ebay parts that i cobbled together to make a complete dalek, prepped them myself and painted them also and rigged up my own LED lights to eye stalk and gun and dome lights they all work on a timer and have speakers in them wired up to a hifi system in the hall way with Exterminate SFX awsome at halloween :0)

Russell

paul friday

Quote from: watcher on Sep 16, 2016, 12:35 pm
This box is the same as Time Rotors!
It was build buy a guy selling them on ebay a few years ago. I nearly bought one so recognise the design well! That fibreglass lamp gives it away lol
I'm guessing your windows are also cast in fibreglass too?

And yes, Mark's (Time rotors) has wooden corner posts too.

I'll have a look at home as I have lots of pics of Time rotors TARDIS from my visit that show the wooden corner posts quite clearly.

Yes the windows are fibre glass but they did not look right so i tinted them to match the yellow tint that you see on the tom baker box with the darker tint to the other panels  and it still allows light to shine through at night :0)  I have also fitted a flasher unit to the top lamp to make it look more dramatic at night

paul friday

overall the build is not bad, the actual fiber glass panels are quite thin but are sturdy, the doors are ok, the right hand side door has bowed very slightly hence it catches on the base a bit so when the box is re built the door will be rectified, i have a really really good friend that own a body shop and is brilliant with fiber glass so he will get this sorted for me, the corner posts  ( wooden) are solid but  right hand post to front is just starting to rot at the base and the light boxes also wood need replacing i hope to get them made in fibre glass and i woudl like them to be a bit more pronunced than the existing ones as they droop slightly but again when she is fully dismantled and rebuilt with new posts this will be sorted.  Paint I used oxford blue matt  and used a colour from B&Q  Velspar  called union jack and with a sponge i watered down this colour and gently rubbed this over the oxford blue to give the Tardis some depth and variation in the colour, then i oversprayed with matt black and graphite grey to dirty her up

paul friday

As a newbie I have to say I am very impressed with the overall knowledge, attention to detail and dedication the members have on this site. I love the Tardis and I adore my own and strive for perfection. I have seen some beautiful hand made replicas and gives,me the inspiration I need to perfect my own box. Long live the tardis builders site