Mar 29, 2024, 04:38 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Other Dave's Hartnell/Troughton Console

Started by Other Dave, Sep 14, 2016, 04:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tony farrell

Well, my plans are definitely being put to good use.

It's a real pity that this site can't host videos; I can't wait to see this Console finished and 'in action'!

T

13drwho

Your fast return switch is awesome, especially hand made out of wood and miscellaneous! This console is going to be awesome.

Other Dave

Thanks everyone for all your encouragement!  Here's some more progress on the Time Column...

I added the basket and Gyro balls that I made previously to the mast and cage.  Not much is actually glued yet, just held in place with tape.

column3.JPG

For the outer structure, I'm using 1/2" clear acrylic rods, two rings of 1/4" & 1/2" plywood, and my One-And-Only Actual Laser-Cut Object: the ring at the top!  I made up plans and sent them away to a place in Nevada.  It cost a bit of money, but it turned out perfect!  (it still has the paper covering on it)

column4.JPG

So using the holes in the ring as a guide, I drilled holes in the plywood too.  Although for the bottom piece, I only drilled in about half-way.
column5.JPG

I primed and sanded the top, and also attached strips of black styrene I found online.  My goal was to make it as light as possible, so the motor won't have to work too hard!
column6.JPG

So here it is.  I glued the rods into the ring at the top, but I haven't glued the bottoms in yet - just in case.
column7.JPG

- Other Dave

Rassilons Rod

In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

davidnagel

Regards
David

TheMasterRichman

Barbara: Doctor, the trembling stopped, The Doctor: Oh, my dear! I'm so glad you're feeling better. Barbara: No! Not me! The ship! The Doctor: Oh, the... Oh, my! I'm so sorry...

galacticprobe

Nov 03, 2016, 04:36 am #51 Last Edit: Nov 03, 2016, 04:38 am by galacticprobe
What everyone else said, plus...

Daffy-DroolDrool.jpg
Drool, drrrooool!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Other Dave

Thanks everyone!   Here's a shot so far - busy putting all the components on the panels.  Still a lot left to do.

progress11.jpg

The motors work great - the big one down below moves the column up and down, while the little motor turns the insides slowly around!  I need to figure out how to upload a video of it.

I have a neighborhood whiz kid working on some electronics for me.  Using a Raspberry Pi - the lights will blink,  and the sounds will play, the meters will move!  It will be awesome!    I haven't been taking as many pictures, but I do have some I will post eventually.

- Other Dave

tony farrell

Superb!

Why not post a video on You Tube and then a link to the video here?

T

troughtonstrousers

It's truly beautiful it's why I made one beat me to the time rotor it's lovely

Angelus Lupus

Seconded on wanting a video, I'd love to see your motors in action!

<_<;  ...  >_>;

Ok, that sounds a little weird, but you know what I mean! Great work.
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

davidnagel

Gosh that came together quickly didn't it!
Regards
David

kert gantry

Amazing!  Another vote for a video here.

galacticprobe

Nov 16, 2016, 04:52 am #58 Last Edit: Nov 16, 2016, 04:54 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Nov 15, 2016, 04:30 pm
Superb!

Agreed! Wholeheartedly agreed! That console looks, well, as Tony said! :o

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Nov 15, 2016, 04:30 pm
Why not post a video on You Tube and then a link to the video here?

Tony is right; it's the only way to post videos on the Forum. Just upload your video to YouTube. Then once you've got the URL for the video, copy and paste that URL in between these brackets (without any spaces; the spaces are needed for demonstration only): [ youtube ]PUT YOUR URL HERE[ /youtube ]. Also enter a line return and post the URL by itself so there is a direct link to the video.

Once you've done that, your Update will have a YouTube window in it so members can watch your video direct from here, or they can click on the link (made from the URL) if they want to watch the video from YouTube. It's the only way to post videos on the Forum as the Forum software isn't designed to host direct video files (too large as well). And as long as YouTube and your account there exist, your video will be available for members to watch and enjoy.

I hope this helps. And as always, if you have a problem with posting the video link, just ask and you'll get help.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Davros Skaro

WOW normally I don't look at the console builds, for 1. I don't have the money, 2. no workshop or the room to put it. but absolutely love what you've done here. Great work & well done.
Chris.