Tom Yardley-Jones prop History (By Tony Farrell) - DISCUSSION THREAD

Started by tony farrell, Sep 10, 2016, 04:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tony farrell

Quote from: mverta on Apr 11, 2018, 01:11 am
Barry!!  Yes, I started this one years ago and got busy/couldn't find the files so I just started over.  Much easier this time thanks to Tony :)

Stop it Mike - you'll make me blush!

Thanks for the reference pic, Tony... not quite the angle (I'm looking for a top-view of the sign/post connection) but cool and useful nonetheless.

Sorry it's not what you wanted. My mate Steve White (Fivefingeredstyre here on Tardis Builders) has visited the DWE several times and has taken numerous photos of the TY-J Tardis when it was exhibited there. If memory serves, a couple of these photos were taken from the staircase looking down on the box. If he doesn't read this thread, I could always ask him for copies of those pictures if that would help?

BTW here is a model using your dims overlaid on a couple reference photos.  A couple of times it's come up just a touch shy in height at the roof, but that's probably my misalignment of the camera or something else random.  

Tony_Confirm_1.JPG
Tony_Confirm_2.JPG
Tony_Confirm_3.JPG

I know that Steve White is planning to build a TY-J box and that 'Evil Bob' has actually started his build (see http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=8347.msg108386#msgx108386 ). In one of the messages he sent me regarding my plans for the TY-J box, Bob mentioned that he'd been in touch with Mark Barton Hill (Timerotor here on TB) who restored the second TY-J box for the DWE. Apparently Mark intimated to Bob that he thought my dimensions were pretty much accurate (I know, I know, I'm a terrible 'name-dropper'!  :)).

Anyway, I extrapolated my dimensions from a few dimensions that were actually known (i.e. the size of the lock, the size of the phone panel, a couple that I'd actually managed to take myself) and from some which had been provided to me by someone who prefers to remain anonymous. So, I'm very happy that your overlays appear to be an almost exact match to the real TY-J box! Thank you for sharing them!

In the interests of providing the forum with as-accurate-as-possible dimensions, if there are any mis-matches between your overlays and the real box, I'd be more than happy to alter my dimensions (this, I'm sure, would help Bob and Steve with their builds). For example, you mention a slight mis-match on the height of the roof....

To this end, I wonder if you could create a 'wire-frame' version of your renders and overlay it onto various photos of the TY-J prop? That way, any mis-matches could be clearly identified. (Myself and Slava are currently doing the same thing for the Brachacki Box - see http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=8649 .)

Obviously once the dimensions were finalised (and my plans in the TY-J 'article' were amended), I'd give you full credit.

Best

T

mverta

I've been doing photogrammetric recreations of objects as part of my job for decades - it absolutely works, given enough data.  The issues you face are tolerances (there is more than 1mm variance between consecutive assemblies of the same prop!), and missing camera data from the reference photos.  The only photo overlays I would truly trust are ones that I took myself or had full data on the camera used.  Focal length and filmback are important to know, but even moreso is the lens distortion of the lens used. This is always present and always alters the perspective.  Even quasi-orthographic, long-lens setups suffer from it.  To derive accurate measurements, it has to be compensated for.  We do it all the time when motion tracking footage to get the most accurate solves.

All of this is to say that I wouldn't trust the photos I have enough to justify making dimension changes.  If I'd made it to DWE myself, this was what I was going to do, and despite hours of Google searching, it appears nobody on planet Earth did, either. :)

In any case, I'm still amassing my references so it's possible I will come up with some that I can trust to a higher degree and we'll take a look at it then!

As for the Top Box reference I'm wondering about it's the area represented by black wires seen here:

Sign_Connect.JPG
Sign_Connect_2.JPG

Below the Top Box is a 35mm "pad" flush with the posts which, based on that last photo you posted, is part of a single assembly that includes the Top Box.  But above and behind the Top Box there must also be a piece which fills the gap between Top Box and the roof.  It's top edge is flush with the top edge of the main posts and I've seen this piece in people's physical builds here on the site.  I'm just wondering how much of - if any of - it is actually part of the Top Box assembly.

tony farrell

Quote from: mverta on Apr 11, 2018, 03:57 pm

As for the Top Box reference I'm wondering about it's the area represented by black wires seen here:

Sign_Connect.JPG
Sign_Connect_2.JPG

I'm just wondering how much of - if any of - it is actually part of the Top Box assembly.

All of it is the answer to your question: The top 'bridging piece', the sign-box itself and the three steps below it were made as one piece. This one-piece unit was detachable on the front and rear elevations of the box but permanently joined to the side elevations.

This may help:

TYJ Construction.jpg

T

mverta

Got it - thank you.  All of this is integrated into the Top Box assembly.  Amending the model, now.

fivefingeredstyre

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Apr 11, 2018, 11:23 am
My mate Steve White (Fivefingeredstyre here on Tardis Builders) has visited the DWE several times and has taken numerous photos of the TY-J Tardis when it was exhibited there. If memory serves, a couple of these photos were taken from the staircase looking down on the box. If he doesn't read this thread, I could always ask him for copies of those pictures if that would help?
Somebody mention my name? ;-)

Pm's on the way...

fivefingeredstyre

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Apr 10, 2018, 09:36 pm
Does this help?
20914516_10155095159164209_4606939839280734238_n.jpg
I can't believe i'd missed this picture earlier. It's been bugging me for ages as to how the sides of the box are held securely against the front.

I knew the front and rear sign boxes were detachable, but for some reason I thought the box section behind them was built into the front and rear signboxes as a single unit, not a separate piece.

I couldn't get my head around how the box wouldn't flop around loosely; however if I'm right the box section is what holds the front/rear and sides together securely, with the signbox front fascia not being structural at all. (Perhaps pushed on and held in place by the roof?)

darren79

I don't know if anyone has spotted this/it's been shared in another thread.

It seems that Andrew Beech leant the team making features for the season 19 Blu-ray boxset his police box (box 1 with box 2's original doors...?)

d05-6a-105.jpg

fivefingeredstyre

Now I was wondering whether or not this was Beech's box or the one that was on display at the DWE?

I was planning on watching closely when the blu ray was released....

tony farrell

This is the older box - note the broken post cap on the top right; the newer box was on display at the DWE. It also seems Mr Beech's box has a replacement (square-topped) lamp.

T

Kingpin

On top of that, the box at the Experience had a consistant colourscheme across it's sections, this one's got a notable darker section at the lower half of the left-hand post that isn't being caused by Sarah Sutton's shadow.

Nice to see it getting some fresh air. :)

darren79

It doesn't appear that Mr. Beech has had it repainted so I assume it still has it's Silver Nemesis paint job.

I look forward to seeing more of it when the season 19 blu-ray is released.

darren79

The season 19 Blu-ray is very enjoyable. I've just got to the Black Orchid documentary.

The cast exit the police box prop (I note that Andrew Beech, the owner of the box, is in the credits as adviser) and Mark Strickson says, "This is the original prop used in Black Orchid" -  ::)

No it wasn't!!!! ;D

IMG_1503.JPG

warmcanofcoke

D30uLjmW0AAdF0C.jpg large.jpg
came across this image.
Can anyone tell me more about it?
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

Mark

Well that's Ronnie Barker who was a comedy actor famous in the 70s and 80s.
It could be a sketch from a programme called "The Two Ronnie's"?

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: Mark on Jun 29, 2019, 06:16 am
It could be a sketch from a programme called "The Two Ronnie's"?

That would make sense. It looks like he's dressed as Worzel Gunmidge, so it's obviously a 3rd Doctor Parody  :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.