News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Power Of The Daleks - Soon!

Started by galacticprobe, Sep 07, 2016, 07:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tony farrell

Quote from: galacticprobe on Oct 30, 2016, 04:53 pm
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Oct 30, 2016, 03:43 am
Seven short slats above he gun and arm boxes- ...

It's hard to count the actual short slats on this (if it is one of the animation cells), but after lightening it up a little it looks like, at least in this frame, there are only 6. (Not sure how many there are supposed to be... never counted those before.)
DWnewsPOTD.jpg
Dino.

Dino - count the slats on the DVD (provisional) art work - there are seven short ones! The picture you're counting them on is not the one I was referring to!

Incidentally the picture you're referring to was rendered by Gavin Rymill (Dalek 63-88/The Mind Robber) and is the promotional artwork for the US cinema release of Power of the Daleks!

T

Angelus Lupus

Ah, Dalek 63-88! The epitome of Dalek research! Probably as thorough (and interesting) as our own Tony's Tardis histories.
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

tony farrell

Indeed - Gavin wouldn't make the mistake of mis-counting the number of short slats on the TV Daleks (unlike whoever designed the DVD cover)!

galacticprobe

Oct 31, 2016, 05:01 am #63 Last Edit: Oct 31, 2016, 05:51 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Oct 30, 2016, 06:46 pm
Dino - count the slats on the DVD (provisional) art work - there are seven short ones!

I did count the short slats on the cover art as soon as you mentioned it, Tony, and I did count seven. That's why I tried to see if the cover art was the same as the animation with regards to those short slat.s (And I did mention that it's always difficult to judge the DVD cover art when comparing it to the actual animation because the cover art doesn't always accurately represent the actual product, as often a separate artist works on the cover art - unless whoever is putting the cover together actually takes a frame from the video).

The picture you're counting them on is not the one I was referring to!

Yes; I knew that. It's why I clarified what I was counting with "if it is one of the animation cells". I probably should have added "when comparing the cover art to the animation", which would probably have made my post a little clearer as to why I was counting on a different image. (Sorry for the confusion there.)

Incidentally the picture you're referring to was rendered by Gavin Rymill (Dalek 63-88/The Mind Robber) and is the promotional artwork for the US cinema release of Power of the Daleks!

So that's not a frame from the animation? That I didn't know. (Oh well... back to the counting board for me. :P)

Here are some grabs from the Official BBC Trailer:
Dalek-ShortSlats-01.jpg
Animated Dalek, head-on, and it's showing only 6 short slats;

Dalek-ShortSlats-02.jpg
More from the trailer showing a small army of Daleks, and the ones that are easily countable all show 6 short slats;

Dalek-ShortSlats-03.jpg
One last grab from the trailer, showing that small army closer-up, and again only 6 short slats.

So that cover art isn't the same as what's used in the animated episodes, and apparently even though the first image I counted (the one Steve posted) isn't from the animated episodes and was created by Gavin Rymill, that Dalek still has only 6 short slats as well, so Gavin Rymill certainly knew what he was doing when he rendered it.

I'm not familiar with Gavin Rymill (or those usernames, if that's what they are), but apparently you and Angelus are, so you've got me at a disadvantage there. However, you both seem very familiar with his knowledge on "Dalek Anatomy" so I doubt he'd get the short slat count wrong. (And now you've given me someone to do some research on. :))

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Teppic

Dalek 63-88 is not a username, it's a website run by Gavin Rymill and Jon Green which has an unbelievable amount of information about the Dalek props from all their appearances in the Classic series, guest appearances on other TV programmes, fetes and public appearances etc., and they have also started putting details of the New Series Daleks on the site as well.

Head over to http://www.dalek6388.co.uk and have a look. It's a fantastic site.

galacticprobe

Nov 01, 2016, 03:09 am #65 Last Edit: Nov 01, 2016, 03:39 am by galacticprobe
Went there for a look, and now have it Bookmarked! Thanks for the link, teppic! You could spend all day looking at that site and still want to look at it again (sort of like it is here). And that's why I've Bookmarked it. The level of detail they go into is mind-boggling! (If I ever end up having to get one of those motorized wheelchairs - and after tonight's attempt at the usual Halloween "Spook the Victims" that we've done for the past 24 years, I just might if I keep it up - I'll be referencing that site quite often as I build a Dalek shell around that wheelchair!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

tony farrell

The photographic Daleks were reproduced from The Chase:

Cv2pPsxXgAEd9W7.jpg

Cv4doxzW8AAdqz0.jpg

With thanks to Gavin Rymill.

T

davidnagel

Ohhhhh yes! Nice spot. I've always wanted a dozen of those cut outs. Maybe its time....
Regards
David

tony farrell

Nov 03, 2016, 12:21 am #68 Last Edit: Nov 03, 2016, 12:22 am by Tony Farrell
There was a brief article on BBC2's "Newsnight" which featured a clip from the animation of "Power".

Interestingly at about six minutes in, Tim Beddows made an interesting remark which will undoubtedly re-kindle the 'omni-rumour'! Haha!!

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGxRBOjfZCc

T

tony farrell

Nov 03, 2016, 01:07 pm #69 Last Edit: Nov 03, 2016, 01:09 pm by Tony Farrell
Whilst I make no apology for not liking the DVD cover artwork (with its 'seven short-slatted' version of the Daleks), I am very much looking forward to its release.

I think the quality of the animation of the Daleks in the clips so far released is superb; the fluid movement of their casings and the movement of their domes and 'appendages' as they glide around is brilliant as - indeed - is the quality of the recreation of the various sets.

Also, I find the quasi-three dimensional quality of this screen-shot particularly impressive:

animated.jpg

Patrick actually looks like Patrick too!  :)

T

Angelus Lupus

I'm going to assume that the smooth Dalek animation is because they are using 3D models, it's just that the actual animators are using accurate models and the dreadful cover art is the fault of someone else. Especially apparent after seeing the image of the 2nd Doctor compared to the cover.
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

tony farrell

BREAKING NEWS:

According to the BBC, "The Power of the Daleks" animation will also be available in colour!

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/the-power-of-the-daleks-where-to-watch?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

So, that's four releases for the same thing within four months: BBC Store B&W (Nov 5) - DVD B&W (Nov 21st) - BBC Store Colour (Dec 31st) - Colour Blu-Ray SE (Feb 6th).

What on earth are the BBC playing at!?!

T

Rassilons Rod

Dairy farming, my friend.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

davidnagel

Tony your screengrab comes from this fan animated teaser trailer from a few years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yE3tKzI16U

Looking at the pre production artwork here on the drwho tv site: http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/images/the-power-of-the-daleks-character-pre-production-artwork I wager we'll see him more like this...
Regards
David