Apr 20, 2024, 07:24 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

7th Doctor's Tracking/Detector Device

Started by Cardinal Hordriss, Sep 06, 2016, 10:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardinal Hordriss

Sep 06, 2016, 10:17 am Last Edit: Nov 04, 2016, 01:48 am by warmcanofcoke
My version of the device the Doctor uses to track the source of the signal received in the TARDIS earlier in the episode.

14249213_10154560067464319_1321221313_n.jpg
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

Cardinal Hordriss

A few minor changes - including the addition of a setting knob/dial. 14409249_10154603459804319_118911975_n.jpg14408902_10154603459809319_1172452879_n.jpg14389704_10154603459849319_970037669_n.jpg
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

The14thDr

This looks really cool!!! :o :o This prop wouldn't look out of place on the modern era of Doctor Who; I really love builds that take a prop from the classic era, and update the design to fit in with the modern era.

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

warmcanofcoke

This is a build I'd love to see a build diary for.  :D
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

Cardinal Hordriss

I would have done but didn't anticipate the interest, unfortunately I tend not to take pictures during construction. I could give you a list of what I made it from if you wish?

My main worry is that it looks like a prototype TCE that a young Master may have built so thanks to all of you for recognizing it as the 7th Doctor's detector/scanner.

A very similar prop appears in Ghostlight, briefly, when scanning the tin engraved R.F.C., before using the radiation detector. That prop is a cream colour, less cobbled together and I think missing the ball on the antenna but otherwise the same. Without any good pictures though I doubt I'll attempt it, I'm more than sufficiently happy with how this one turned out.

warmcanofcoke

I would love the list. Please and thank you.  :D

Cardinal Hordriss

As I recall...

•   6" Black torch - Homebase
•   Aerial - telescopic, magnetic pick-up tool - ebay
•   Ball - large, roll-on deodorant
•   Neck ring from NDP 5" figure
•   Flange(?) from yale lock
•   Patterned steel cylinder from 2 x LED torches, the screw out section with the buttons removed - Asda
•   Black cable

The rest I don't know, it's just stuff from my bits box, origins long forgotten.

For the yale lock finefayre on ebay do one with unmarked keys, no logos etc. very TARDISy.

Keep the LED housing from the torch, put a hole through the centre for the aerial and glue it back in place upside down so that the it forms the start of the silver section below the NDP neck ring.

Flange is probably the wrong word, it's like a huge cup-washer that goes around the lock, it forms the top part to the Dalek neck ring section on my model.

I also recommend blu tac for jamming in the ball and torch to help secure the aerial with much super glue, when the whole thing sets it's very secure and sturdy.

I hope that helps.

warmcanofcoke

It does, thank you. - Foolishly I sold my Eternal New Dalek Paradigm earlier this year.  ::)

galacticprobe

Sep 24, 2016, 05:00 am #8 Last Edit: Sep 24, 2016, 05:02 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Sep 23, 2016, 05:37 pm
Flange is probably the wrong word, it's like a huge cup-washer that goes around the lock...

Bezel, I think is the word you're looking for, CH. At least that's what I've heard it called before. Great build!

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Sep 23, 2016, 05:46 pm
Foolishly I sold my Eternal New Dalek Paradigm earlier this year.  ::)

Erm... eBay or Amazon search? You might get lucky and find another for not too much - maybe close to what you sold yours for. (You might break even if you're really lucky. :))

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"