Apr 19, 2024, 02:26 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Custom TARDIS Lock - Input/Advice Needed

Started by The14thDr, Aug 14, 2016, 05:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

Aug 14, 2016, 05:53 pm Last Edit: Oct 02, 2016, 04:19 pm by The14thDr
EDIT: Here's a link to the build diary for the lock: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=6996.0

For the lock on my TARDIS console room's doors, I have decided to 3D print a custom lock. The lock will be purely cosmetic, meaning it doesn't need to "work", just be able to insert a key and turn it.

I made a 3D model of a standard Yale-type lock a while ago, but before I have anything printed I have decided to update my design a little.

My idea is to have a lock that works with both the classic, Ankh-style key and the newer Yale keys. The main inspiration comes from this post from http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2705.msg29219, so credit to rocket for inspiring me with his custom lock.

Similar to the Eighth (and I think Third?) Doctor's TARDIS, my design will look like a standard, Yale-type lock with a pivoting face plate that reveals a custom barrel for a modern-era take on the Third Doctor's TARDIS key.
image.jpg

My main problem is figuring out how to make a rotating barrel that works for both the wider, ankh-style key, and the thinner, Yale-type key.
Any help or input with this would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

galacticprobe

Aug 15, 2016, 05:39 am #1 Last Edit: Aug 15, 2016, 05:49 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: The14thDr on Aug 14, 2016, 05:53 pm
For the lock on my TARDIS console room's doors, ... The lock will be purely cosmetic, ... just be able to insert a key and turn it.

My idea is to have a lock that works with both the classic, Ankh-style key and the newer Yale keys.

Remember, the Yale-style key came before the ankh key, which didn't make an appearance until the 3rd Doctors' final season. ;)

Similar to the Eighth (and I think Third?) Doctor's TARDIS,...

The 3rd/4th Doctors' ankh key was larger than the one they used for the 7th/8th Doctors' key in the 1996 TVM.

...my design will look like a standard, Yale-type lock with a pivoting face plate that reveals a custom barrel for a modern-era take on the Third Doctor's TARDIS key.

My main problem is figuring out how to make a rotating barrel that works for both the wider, ankh-style key, and the thinner, Yale-type key.
Any help or input with this would be greatly appreciated.

This is a tough one. What if you just made the lock cylinder with a slot that can take the ankh key? A Yale-style key will still fit inside that slot, and if you insert the Yale-type key far enough to get part of the round "handle" into the slot, then you shouldn't have any problem rotating the cylinder (especially if you leave the cylinder with a little extra room inside its housing - not making it too loose, but loose enough so there is very little resistance when turning it). This should also allow for a 7th Doctor key from his last season if you ever get round to making one of those.

That might solve your key slot quandary... mightn't it?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Aug 15, 2016, 08:26 am #2 Last Edit: Aug 15, 2016, 08:34 am by The14thDr
Quote from: galacticprobe on Aug 15, 2016, 05:39 am
Remember, the Yale-style key came before the ankh key, which didn't make an appearance until the 3rd Doctors' final season. ;)

Thank you for the correction, Dino. (I really need to brush up on my Classic Who knowledge, don't I? ;D)

The 3rd/4th Doctors' ankh key was larger than the one they used for the 7th/8th Doctors' key in the 1996 TVM.

Ah, right. In that case I think I'll use the 8th Doctor's TARDIS key for the ankh lock. ;) (The slightly smaller key should make it easier for the Yale key to operate the same cylinder.)

This is a tough one. What if you just made the lock cylinder with a slot that can take the ankh key? A Yale-style key will still fit inside that slot, and if you insert the Yale-type key far enough to get part of the round "handle" into the slot, then you shouldn't have any problem rotating the cylinder (especially if you leave the cylinder with a little extra room inside its housing - not making it too loose, but loose enough so there is very little resistance when turning it). This should also allow for a 7th Doctor key from his last season if you ever get round to making one of those.

That might solve your key slot quandary... mightn't it?

Dino.

Thanks Dino!! This certainly does solve the key slot quandary. ;D Right now I can't be 100% sure whether this will work perfectly without a little tweaking, but until I build a physical model, anyone's guess is as good as mine. Everything works fine in my head (but then again, what works in my head and what works in reality are two very different things :P)

Thanks again.
Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

galacticprobe

Aug 16, 2016, 05:04 am #3 Last Edit: Aug 16, 2016, 05:04 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: The14thDr on Aug 15, 2016, 08:26 am
Everything works fine in my head (but then again, what works in my head and what works in reality are two very different things :P)

Exactly! And that's why I spend 99.99999% of the time inside my head. Every time I stick my toes into Reality ( :P) to test the waters - so to speak - something whacks me in the face, only reinforcing my belief in the fact that Reality sucks!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"