Apr 19, 2024, 10:35 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The14thDr's Raggedy Doctor Costume

Started by The14thDr, Jul 26, 2016, 05:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

Jul 26, 2016, 05:20 pm Last Edit: Jul 26, 2016, 05:26 pm by The14thDr
The most important part of putting together my Raggedy Doctor costume was finding a way or recreating that famous swirly tie. All of the replica ties were way above my budget, so the only option left was to create the tie myself.
I started out by buying a brown tie and some jars of fabric paint; white and turquoise. I mixed the two colours together until I came up with something similar to the pale blue on the original tie.
IMG_20160726_1753439_rewind.jpg

I then spent half an hour painting the swirly patterns onto the tie.
IMG_20160726_1812572_rewind.jpg

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

The14thDr

Just a quick update. I (meaning my mum :P) ironed the tie yesterday to "fix" the fabric paint. The patterns are still a bit patchy in areas, so next week I will need to add a second coat of the fabric paint.

Kind regards , The14thDr :D

superrichi1a

Looking really good! You've found a really good base and that's some very neat painting! Have you considered making two? One 10th Doctor version and one 11th Doctor version? I think that'd be a great display piece!

(For those who don't know the story)
The 10th Doctor "swirly" tie was a rare French tie by "Christian Lacriox" and costume designer Louise Paige could only find one to use. Thusly, because they faced continuity trouble if it were damaged, it was only used once in "The Girl in the Fireplace", though as it was Louise's favourite tie she tended to drop it in for "cameos", such as when The Doctor is being chased by The Hoix and when he regenerates in "The End of Time".
This created issues for incoming costume designer Ray Holman who had to design the Raggedy Doctor costume as he could not rip up a unique tie, so they replicated the Lacriox tie in-house by copying the pattern onto plain brown ties using embroidery (this is a very noticeable difference in the episode).
The Lacriox tie also had a different texture between the silver swirls which in some lights looks red, in others just looks plain brown. Holman's team decided to replicate this using red silk, so the main way to tell the difference between the original and the copies is the redness of the inter-swirl sections.

Sorry to hijack there, I just think it's an interesting story!
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

13drwho

There is a company I found on another forum that does replicas of several of David Tennant's ties. They do this version, I know because I bought it. They are reasonably priced, more than Walmart... but not as much as the designer silk ties.

Yours is looking really good. It makes sense to save money on it, especially if you're going to distress it like it in The Eleventh Hour. I look forward to seeing more!

galacticprobe

Jul 29, 2016, 06:46 am #4 Last Edit: Jul 29, 2016, 06:46 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: 13drwho on Jul 29, 2016, 01:17 am
There is a company I found on another forum that does replicas of several of David Tennant's ties. They do this version, I know because I bought it. They are reasonably priced, more than Walmart... but not as much as the designer silk ties.

You wouldn't happen to have a link to that company's web site, would you? My son wears ties to work and I think he could use a few new ones. (Christmas is coming... eventually.)

Quote from: 13drwho on Jul 29, 2016, 01:17 am
Yours is looking really good. It makes sense to save money on it, especially if you're going to distress it like it in The Eleventh Hour. I look forward to seeing more!

And with this I have to wholeheartedly agree. You're doing a smashing job on this!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Jul 29, 2016, 04:41 pm #6 Last Edit: Jul 29, 2016, 04:42 pm by The14thDr
Thanks guys! ;D

superrichi1a, hijack away! That's an interesting story, I may replicate the original tie at some point in the future (I certainly have plenty of fabric paint to spare)

13drwho, thanks for the link. I based the patterns on my tie on photos of Magnoli's swirly tie (which unfortunately wasn't completely screen-accurate ::)) so when I compared my tie to screengrabs from the episode, I noticed quite a few differences.

Thank you Dino, I picked up the shirt for the costume today, so I'll post some photos soon. All I need now are the pinstripe trousers. Stay tuned for more updates.

galacticprobe

Jul 30, 2016, 04:02 am #7 Last Edit: Jul 30, 2016, 04:29 am by galacticprobe
The Jason, thanks for the link, but believe it or not, I'd originally suggested both of the Magnoli version ties to someone in another thread on a full 10th Doctor costume build - just can't remember which thread that one is. :P (Magnoli's ties are about the same price that you'd pay for an ordinary tie, so that price for high quality 'Doctor Who' costume tie replicas is really good!)

Some years ago, before I got hurt (and the ties were a lot less because it was before the bottom dropped out of the economy), I was starting to assemble a 10th Doctor outfit and bought the "Time Lord Tie" (now called the "Tennant Tie"), and a friend that was working with Indy Magnoli at the time on revamping the design of the "Swirly Tie" (then called the "Fireplace Tie") - which is the design they've got now - ended up with an extra one of the new batch, so I got one of those as well. The red on the tie isn't as bright in person as it looks in the photos, probably because of the flash. My son is already wearing those ties, but he needs more like them (as in more 'Who' ties, not the ones with the awful designs on them that he's been buying).

Those Magnoli ties are very high quality for the price, and worth getting at least the "Swirly Tie" (provided it's not "distressed") because it would look if you needed to wear a decent tie with a suit, and it about on par with regular store ties' pricing (and the price includes the shipping cost, so no surprise extra cost there, which is always nice).

In fact, also while I was still working I got my 9th Doctor jacket from Magnoli. The accuracy is spot on, it fits very comfortably, and that was over six years ago now and the jacket still looks new! (I got the "New" black jacket rather than the pre-distressed black, hoping that it would wear like my Indiana Jones jacket I got in the late 1980s, but it's just not wearing! But then, unlike my Indiana Jones jacket, my 9th Doctor jacket didn't take a tumble wash down that dangerous waterfall in Jamaica. Looking back on it now, while that tumble did wonders for my jacket, it probably didn't do any favors for my back, and may have even started it on the downward spiral. But it was during a mid patrol break so it was military authorized liberty. That was in 1993. The military declared that waterfall off limits to all personnel in 1996 because of all the broken bones and lost days of work from guys climbing the falls, and falling. It's a great tourist attraction, though, and civilians can climb it and almost get killed all they want! But I digress.)

I think my point is that Magnoli's items are well made and the price, especially for the ties, is average when compared to your ordinary clothing store.

Dino.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Aug 01, 2016, 06:44 pm #8 Last Edit: Aug 01, 2016, 06:44 pm by The14thDr
Again, not much of an update, but today I applied the second coat of paint to the swirly tie.

Tomorrow I will iron the tie to fix the second coat of paint.

Last week I bought a light blue shirt for the costume (which can also double up as the shirt for my Closing Time Eleventh Doctor costume.)

Photos soon.

The14thDr

Aug 08, 2016, 05:56 pm #9 Last Edit: Sep 18, 2018, 11:14 am by The14thDr
49B9859A-5A21-4BD4-A145-8E1F88711016.jpeg

galacticprobe

Aug 09, 2016, 04:58 pm #10 Last Edit: Aug 09, 2016, 05:00 pm by galacticprobe
Whoa! Amazing job on that tie! I'd call that one a winner, 14th!

(And for a better view of things from the right way round:)

image.jpg

Hint for anyone taking selfies in a mirror: before posting the photo, flip it horizontally; because you're taking the photo in a mirror, your photo will come out reversed (look at how the shirt buttons at the neck in the original post, then compare it to the reposted, "flipped" photo). Flipping things will also give you the proper view of the pattern on the tie.

And everything really does look amazing!

Dino.

The14thDr

Thank you Dino, I'll swap the flipped photo into my original post soon. (To be honest, until you mentioned it, I never considered that the patterns on the tie would be flipped around :P)

In reality, I completely forgot about flipping the photo before posting. It may come as a surprise to hear this from a teenager, but I normally never take selfies, but when it's to post photos of one's latest Who costume, one has to make certain exceptions. ;D

Photos of the entire costume soon.

galacticprobe

Aug 11, 2016, 08:02 am #12 Last Edit: Aug 11, 2016, 08:03 am by galacticprobe
Selfie.jpg
I don't always take selfies, but when I do, I want everyone to know "Who" I am!

;D ;D ;D

Dino.

superrichi1a

I'm glad this was bumped, it looks fantastic! Quite professional! Have you considered doing a second tie in the alternative colourway?

I'm sure you came across this in your research, but for those who don't know, there were two versions of this tie! The second version that Matt Smith wore had bright red accents in the middle of the blue swirls. Be great to see both side by side!
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

The14thDr

Well, what do you know? I was actually looking back on this thread just last night!

I think you have a brief history of the Tenth Doctor’s ties in one of the comments above, but I didn’t realise that Matt Smith’s tie had the red accents (I certainly haven’t spotted them in any of the reference images I’ve been able to find so far.) The reason I was revisiting this thread is because I planned to try and remove the paint from my tie - which has already started cracking anyway - and redo  the pattern to make it more accurate to the screen used prop.

P.S. Bumped by whom? Is there a post above yours that I just can’t see, or did some unknown forum wizardry just bump it to the top of the page for some other reason?