Apr 20, 2024, 09:43 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Brachacki Console Room Chairs

Started by deck5, Jul 24, 2016, 08:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

deck5

A close-up of the 1:6 scale chairs I made to go with the Mooncrest console.

2chairs.png

Rassilons Rod

We don't have a <3 reaction on here but I have a slight obsession with those chairs and I love these :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

TheMasterRichman

Jul 26, 2016, 02:34 pm #2 Last Edit: Jul 26, 2016, 02:36 pm by Richman695
Wait, I know you like your Mk1 console unit 1:6 but why did you make chairs with it, it's just pointless, it's nice to have but why?

Please answer, why did you make chairs?

- Rich
Barbara: Doctor, the trembling stopped, The Doctor: Oh, my dear! I'm so glad you're feeling better. Barbara: No! Not me! The ship! The Doctor: Oh, the... Oh, my! I'm so sorry...

nebula1253

That's not a very nice thing to say, is it?
It's like asking somebody, "Why do you draw? It's pointless, isn't it?"

deck5

For fun, my man.  For fun.

Quote from: Richman695 on Jul 26, 2016, 02:34 pm
Wait, I know you like your Mk1 console unit 1:6 but why did you make chairs with it, it's just pointless, it's nice to have but why?

- Rich

Rassilons Rod

Because why not...?

- Rich
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Jul 26, 2016, 07:16 pm #6 Last Edit: Jul 26, 2016, 07:17 pm by galacticprobe
Richman695, I think you actually answered your own question here:

...why did you make chairs with it, ... , it's nice to have

And I must agree with nebula; the rest of your comment, in the way you said it, was rather rude.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

TheMasterRichman

Sorry guys, I was not trying to be rude, I was just saying what I felt about the whole thing, I didn't mean to upset any of you,

Now, I feel sorry for myself for saying that, I wish I never wrote that  :'(,

But in my eyes, if you gave that to me as a gift I would love it, I really don't know what I was taking about, all well, it's just me, but it looks great even if it's a 1:6 model, it's smashing.

Sorry if you guys hate me for saying that,

- Rich  :'(
Barbara: Doctor, the trembling stopped, The Doctor: Oh, my dear! I'm so glad you're feeling better. Barbara: No! Not me! The ship! The Doctor: Oh, the... Oh, my! I'm so sorry...

tony farrell

It's not a case of anyone hating anybody - it's a case of how things can be read.

Unlike the spoken word where people can hear the intonation in someone's voice, with the written word there are none of the 'clues' which intonation would provide. Therefore what - in your mind - sounded completely innocent, could be interpreted by others as rudeness on your part.

I'm sure no-one hates you and no-one minds being asked a question but, how the question is phrased is as important as the question itself.

T

rob49152

I love the chairs! Are you going to do any other items for the console room?

Just for the record.... I hate everyone  ;)  but I hate everyone equally. It's just my thing. I am a curmudgeon.

deck5

Quote from: rob49152 on Jul 26, 2016, 10:22 pm

I'd like to do the Westminster clock, just trying to figure out the best way to manage it.

deck5

Quote from: Richman695 on Jul 26, 2016, 09:33 pm
Sorry guys, I was not trying to be rude.

I wasn't affected by it being rude, just confused by the question.  Nothing, and I mean nothing, we make on this board has any point to it, or any justification outside of our own entertainment.  Not my 1:6 chairs, not my police box, not your console, not one bit of it.  What makes my chairs any different from any other prop replica featured here, such that you'd need to ask why I made them in particular?

galacticprobe

Jul 27, 2016, 05:08 am #12 Last Edit: Jul 27, 2016, 05:39 am by galacticprobe
Rich, I think Tony Farrell summed things up very eloquently. The written word (unless you're writing a novel that deals with dialogue and you have to express how the character is saying something) has no inflections, no intonations, maybe just as importantly, no facial expressions for a visual read. I sometimes find this frustrating because - as many members here will no doubt attest to - I'm pretty much a nutter, goofball, off-the-wall kind of person and have difficulty injecting my humor into discussions. Quite often I have needed to result to inserting loads of "smileys", images (of various kinds), etc. just to get the intended humor across. (And if you ever come across one of those posts of mine that has an odd image in it because I've used it for humor, feel free to save the image and use it in your posts if needed.)

The images can help, as can adding an "aside" in angle brackets <he says using those brackets to show off his level of goofballness>. It's my level of the Shakespearean method of adding a dialogue that only the reader/audience is intended to hear a character in his play speak, even though the character on stage us surrounded by others, who apparently don't hear the character speaking... if you get my meaning. It's a way of letting people know that extra bit of dialogue is in your head that you can't inflect or facially express in what you write.

Anyway, like Tony says, no one here hates you. We're one big family, and just like a family someone occasionally says something that sounds not as intended, and other family members pipe up and say "Oi! That was a little harsh, wasn't it?" In the end just as in any family all is forgiven because that spoken word differs so much from the written word.

Am I making sense?

Quote from: deck5 on Jul 27, 2016, 02:18 am
Nothing, and I mean nothing, we make on this board has any point to it, or any justification...

Daffy-Despicable.jpg
BLASPHEMY!

...outside of our own entertainment.

Well... okay; you've successfully un-blasphemed yourself there.
SuperSmiley.jpg

What makes my chairs any different from any other prop replica featured here, such that you'd need to ask why I made them in particular?

Now that is a good question! And it's the sort of question that had been asked before - on both sides: the "Why did you build that?" side, and the "Why do you ask?" side (other than, as the saying goes about the mountain, "because it's there" - or more like paraphrasing it, "Because I wanted to").

Loads of people ask such questions; they just have to read their question to themselves before clicking the "Post" button to hear how it sounds to them, not in their heads, but to their ears. Sometimes all it takes is a little tweaking to say the same thing, but in a different way.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

domvar

Hi deck5,

Did you take any shots during the construction of these little beautys ?

What are they made from ?

Cheers

domvar

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: deck5 on Jul 27, 2016, 01:35 am
Quote from: rob49152 on Jul 26, 2016, 10:22 pm

I'd like to do the Westminster clock, just trying to figure out the best way to manage it.

Do you have the dire-grams?
Public Enema Number One.