Mooncrest Models 1:6 Hartnell TARDIS Console Build

Started by deck5, Jul 19, 2016, 11:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

deck5

I went off-book on the levers.  The little black pins that come with the kit didn't look the part.  I bought some dollar-store pins:

pins.jpg

And some K&S tubing:

copper.jpg

And with the help of a tiny drill bit, wound up with this:

switches.jpg

I also did a black wash in the lever slots to give them a sense of depth.

deck5

Progress update:

progress4.jpg

deck5

deck5

Those lights are indeed fiddly.  The method I used is to spray-paint the light completely, and then carefully scrape away the paint over the bulb under high magnification with an X-Acto.

1light.jpg

deck5

tony farrell

You are making excellent progress. It's interesting that when I discussed this model with Gary Hilliard, his intention was to supply translucent 'function indicator lamps' (ping-pong lights) so that they could be illuminated if desired. He seems to have changed his mind and is sending out solid/opaque ones with the kit instead.  I wonder why....

Great overhead shots - very reminiscent of AAIS&T. I like them!

T

deck5

deck5

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Jul 23, 2016, 10:57 pm
You are making excellent progress. It's interesting that when I discussed this model with Gary Hilliard, his intention was to supply translucent 'function indicator lamps' (ping-pong lights) so that they could be illuminated if desired. He seems to have changed his mind and is sending out solid/opaque ones with the kit instead.  I wonder why....

Maybe he found them too fiddly to make at that size.  Personally I'm just as happy with a static prop!

deck5

All parts done!  Next, the inter-panel vanes.

progress9.jpg

deck5

You might notice one light isn't quite like the others.  I lost one during the process, somehow -- no sign of it anywhere.  So I made up a replacement from a thumbtack and part of a dollar-store ballpoint pen.

mylight.jpg

deck5

Vanes are in place!  I used a very thin layer of Household Goop for these.  They're fragile and fiddly, and need a bunch of filing to fit properly.  I first sanded the panels to properly fit into the console base.

progress10.jpg

deck5

My addition to the kit -- three fluorescent bulbs in the rotor.  I made these from ballpoint pen refills, thin glass tubes, yellow paint, and bits of an old radio antenna.

R0042432.jpg

deck5

Jul 24, 2016, 05:22 am #43 Last Edit: Mar 02, 2018, 09:35 pm by Scarfwearer
Fluorescent tubes installed!  Also a bit of blue wire leading down from each one.

R0042433.jpg

galacticprobe

Jul 24, 2016, 08:50 am #44 Last Edit: Jul 24, 2016, 08:50 am by galacticprobe
You're really making great progress on this, Neal! I love those fluorescent tubes you added to the column. Too bad about losing that little light for the panel, though. It's small enough that, if you can't find it and pop it on, if you want to make one you could take a mould of one of the others.

A little swab over the light from a Q-tip dipped in petroleum jelly for a "release agent", and then a small dab of RTV on it as the moulding material. Once it cures, it should come right off and you'll have a mould of the little light. And because it's so small, a dollop of Testor's (or the like) glue from a tube into the mould will harden into a replacement light. Once that cures, pop it out of the mould and stick it on the console to replace the missing one. Then all it needs is paint.

You've gotten a very clever replacement there already, but considering what you went through to make those three fluorescent tubes, if you ever decide you want that little light to look like its siblings, then there is a way to do it. (I had to do that for one of my models once, only the part was much larger so the "glue casting" took forever to cure. But once it did, it looked great in place.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"