New, New TardisBuilders!

Real police boxes in Doctor Who

Started by chriskingbees, Sep 22, 2006, 01:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

chriskingbees

Sep 22, 2006, 01:55 pm Last Edit: Feb 09, 2010, 06:50 pm by Scarfwearer
Hi All
Stick with this it's quite interesting.
Many moons ago a character called The Watcher used to run a quiz at the back of DW Mag each month. Normally What connects: then three actors, episodes, stories etc. One month it was ; What connects The Chase, Logopolis and Delta and the Bannermen? Answer : The only three stories to feature a real police box in Doctor Who. I couldn't get this. The Chase, yes, albeit a still picture (Complete with two K6s I seem to remember) but the other two? I contacted the elusive Pete Darrington and he agreed with me. Later I realised thay Logop and Delta do indeed feature a "Real" police box, even if  a tardis prop was used to actualise them. Doh! I'm glad I didn't write.
BUT!!!!
Going back to my original premise. I recently watched The Troughton epic The Mind Robber again and in a scene in the last episode Jamie and Zoe, under hypnosis lure the Doctor into the tardis (Prop) which then becomes a kind of standee which proceeds to fall and reveal the Doctor "Trapped in the Master's well, say trap.
Here's the screen grab:

mindrobber.jpg

It's a bit dark but it looks real to me
So is this a "Real police box in Doctor Who"?
Many thanks
KB

davidpk212

Sep 22, 2006, 08:56 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 23, 2010, 10:05 pm by scarfwearer
Hmmm, look OK to me... but the roof just looks a bit iffy... hmmm. It could be a spocked-up polished bang-o up-to-date now 90% accurate version of the card stock model used for the scene in Wimbledon Common where one of the First Doctor's ladies wanders innocently inside the TARDIS, which then dematerialises...

Hmm. I don't know. We need Mr. Purple. (Schlurple the Purle over to this topic!)

kiwidoc

Sep 22, 2006, 09:34 pm #2 Last Edit: Jan 23, 2010, 10:06 pm by scarfwearer
I've always thought that it was a blown up photo opf a real box - the lamp and sign plus the rain flap over the phone panel convince me, not to mention that the real prop was quite quite altered by this story.  Goodness only knows why they would use such an item intead of a pic of the real thing - I assumed that it's because it was already in the scenery stores from other productions.  Always' loved the Mind Robber (alas poor Mr Ling) - it's filled with so MANY great TARDIS momoents - the interior prop at the very start, the console slinging (Grr), the model explosion, the white mock up, and this too - great stuff!

Mark

Sep 23, 2006, 12:24 am #3 Last Edit: Jan 23, 2010, 10:06 pm by scarfwearer
Any more screen grabs of this KB?

The architecture seems to match with the Barnet Style of police box alot more than the TARDIS.

I have to agree with Kiwi as to why they'd not bother using a picture blown up of the TARDIS though????