Started by gerald lovell, Jul 16, 2016, 08:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gerald lovell

Jul 16, 2016, 08:51 am Last Edit: Apr 08, 2018, 02:21 pm by hb88banzai
A nice setting for this one:

2267dcf2-33b5-4107-983c-778f2930db85_zps6c8gkd90.png

Dalekoracle

What a lovely pic!
At what point in the film does this take place? (is there a timing ref?)
Any shots before and after might help with identifying the location.
Thanks in advance.
Mark D

tony farrell

Quote from: gerald lovell on Jul 16, 2016, 08:51 am
2267dcf2-33b5-4107-983c-778f2930db85_zps6c8gkd90.png

I notice that the panel with the St. John Ambulance badge doesn't seem to be recessed when compared to the other panels. Was that a common feature of the Police Boxes or - perhaps - a repair to this particular box?

T

petewilson

It amazes me Gerald how you find all these Police Boxes in these old  British "B Movies"
Do you go through them specifically for the hope of a sighting or do you treat yourself to a "live" viewing from one of the satellite channels frequently?  :D

Anyway when I first saw the photo I thought it was a prop (being so narrow and the St John Ambulance Panel) But it's too good to be a prop (IMHO) and I guess the film was shot in a ratio not being broadcast

domvar

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Jul 16, 2016, 12:36 pm

I notice that the panel with the St. John Ambulance badge doesn't seem to be recessed when compared to the other panels. Was that a common feature of the Police Boxes or - perhaps - a repair to this particular box?

T

Looks like a Crich style door, something odd going off with the lamp.

gerald lovell

Quote from: Dalekoracle on Jul 16, 2016, 09:21 am
What a lovely pic!
At what point in the film does this take place? (is there a timing ref?)
Any shots before and after might help with identifying the location.
Thanks in advance.
Mark D

It's about 1:15.38 in, Mark. Unfortunately, there are just generic hedgerow country lanes leading up to it. The film was made at Merton Park Studios, but with the main location at Loseley Park, Guildford, Surrey.

gerald lovell

Quote from: petewilson on Jul 16, 2016, 03:15 pm
It amazes me Gerald how you find all these Police Boxes in these old  British "B Movies"
Do you go through them specifically for the hope of a sighting or do you treat yourself to a "live" viewing from one of the satellite channels frequently?  :D

I am an old British film addict, Pete, as well as a police box devotee, so can't resist capturing a specimen when it materialises in one of them!

hb88banzai

Aug 11, 2016, 10:18 am #7 Last Edit: Aug 11, 2016, 11:00 am by hb88banzai
Roof stacking, sign and pillar details confirm this is a Mark 4 like Crich, so the outside flat door profile is perfectly normal. In fact, to date we haven't seen any Mark 4 in photos that doesn't have a flat door, and only one non-Mark 4 that does.

I think the oddness around the lamp that was noticed is that it looks like the lamp base is stacked like that on the Wimbledon Common Mark 4, among a few others of various Marks that we've seen. I think this may have been done when a little more range/visibility was required for the beacon, but it is relatively rare.

Unfortunately, all this makes it even harder to identify, because as with the Mark 5's, Mark 4's were mostly used as replacements for worn out or destroyed earlier Boxes, so this could be almost anywhere, though Surrey is perhaps more likely due to both the location of the Studios (South Wimbledon) and main filming location, and because Surrey had some of the oldest Box installations, meaning they would be more likely to have needed replacement during the time frame when Mark 4's were made (c1940 to c1950 or so).