Started by starcross, Jul 05, 2016, 12:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

starcross

Jul 05, 2016, 12:48 am Last Edit: Jul 06, 2016, 02:34 pm by starcross
This one is called Basher's Box.

Source: Unknown Book
A9 - Grasmarket - 1962.jpg

Story:
This is not actually the original Police box for this Location. It is a replacement from another location that "was in better condition". The original box, which I located a 1962 photograph for in a book in Blackwells, had a Siren on top.

The box is also turned around, as the original faced the other way as installed in 1932.
It also is sometimes used by the modern Police in Edinburgh to assist the Police Officer on duty in the Grassmarket.

It also was known to be used by a Boxer Police offer nick named "Basher".
Terribly non-politically correct today, but an affectionate nickname I'm sure for the 1950s.

The Grassmarket was/is an area that is know to be a bit rough with the pubs and all.
So much so that they had two Police Boxes, one at either end of the Grassmarket at Lady's Wynd A13.

I can't remember the rest of the story about Basher but I do believe his last name was Thompson?
I got the anecdote from the Retired officer in the High Street Station (which has since closed 2014).

The box has mostly been empty, except for a few police signs and barriers, through to 2014 when it was sold.
Interestingly enough the door lacks the usual Castle casting. I can only assume the original door panel was in rough shape and they replaced it with a different panel. Closer inspection would be needed to get a better idea of why it's missing.  

How the Box looked in the 1990s:
A9 - Bashers Box - 1990s.jpg

How the box looked during the 2000s:
A9 - grassmarket - 2000s.jpg

It currently lives it life as a Summer Ice Cream Box, and can find out more at http://www.overlangshawfarm.co.uk/. It seems like a good location to be selling ice cream. I remember the grassmarket being a good place to grab a bite to eat. The last time I was there I think we had crepes from a food stall, but that was later at night. The website says they are open most sunny days from 12pm to 5pm.  

The Ice Cream Box as of 2015:
A9 - over-langshaw - Box.jpg

Rassilons Rod

Mar 09, 2020, 10:07 am #1 Last Edit: Mar 09, 2020, 10:08 am by rassilonsrod
20200308_213557.jpg

Saw this last night walking around in Edinburgh  :)

Apologies for the poor quality...
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.