Mar 29, 2024, 08:55 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Image Translator

Started by elkad, Jul 02, 2016, 11:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elkad

Jul 02, 2016, 11:44 pm Last Edit: Jul 22, 2019, 12:14 am by warmcanofcoke
I need some better image references for the working & broken Tardis Image Translator from the episode "Full Circle".
These are some lo quality close up images I got form my VHS recording. (Ooo I envy having the whole classic series on DVD.)  :(

Full Circile 01.jpgFull Circile 02.jpgFull Circile 03.jpg

handofomega

I have a goal of creating TARDIS circuit props based on the one's seen in the show.   Love to see hi-res images of them. 

Dalex

Dalex

tony farrell

Jul 04, 2016, 12:41 am #3 Last Edit: Jul 04, 2016, 12:42 am by Tony Farrell
Quote from: Dalex on Jul 03, 2016, 10:39 pm
Here you go, hope this helps!
vlcsnap-2016-07-03-18h06m26s296.jpg
vlcsnap-2016-07-03-18h09m53s761.jpg
vlcsnap-2016-07-03-18h11m58s212.jpg

Ah, Dalex, you beat me to it!  ;D

T

handofomega

Looks like some piece of cut glass/crystal with acrylic ends with four metal bars and some wiring.   I think I could swing something like this.

galacticprobe

Jul 04, 2016, 07:13 am #5 Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 04:29 am by galacticprobe
That one green end (in the last photo posted above) looks like a piece of a circuit board (or a very small circuit board - like a daughter board). You can see some components that are (probably) soldered onto it. I can see a large capacitor with the metallic blue casing, a flat square (variable?) resistor, and between them what looks like either a small capacitor with a white covering, or one of those light tan carbon resistors (possibly a 1/2 watt).

So maybe the acrylic end piece is on the other side of that circuit board, which is how it looks in the first photo with Adric holding both Image Translators. (Incidentally, the original one wasn't "broken"; it was using only the "absolute" coordinates when it displayed what was outside the TARDIS, rather than taking into account the negative coordinates of E-Space. It was reading the E-Space value of -10.0.11.0.0 by 02 - absolute value without the "negative" sign - and showing what should he there: Gallifrey. The new Image Translator was able to read the "true" value of the coordinates, whether positive of N-Space or negative of E-Space, and show what was really outside. So, not really a broken Image Translator, but more like one that just wasn't calibrated to account for negative coordinates.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

elkad

thanks for the pic's, the help out a lot.  ;D

warmcanofcoke

image translator 001.jpg
image translator 001
image translator 002.jpg
image translator 002
image translator 003.jpg
image translator 003
image translator 004.jpg
image translator 004
image translator 005.jpg
image translator 005
image translator 006.jpg
image translator 006
image translator 007.jpg
image translator 007
image translator 008.jpg
image translator 008
image translator 009.jpg
image translator 009
image translator 010.jpg
image translator 010
image translator 011.jpg
image translator 011
image translator 012.jpg
image translator 012
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

May 10, 2017, 04:37 am #8 Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 04:59 am by galacticprobe
Outstanding images, Nate! So crisp and clear (and large in a new window). Thank you so much for posting them.

Aside from the (1/8th-inch? diameter) brassy rods in the corners, on the clear perspex end I can see two light blue-cased capacitors. (The perspex looks like it's about 1/4th-inch thick, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong if it means getting more accurate dimensions.) I'm not sure what that bright reddish thing sticking down is, and the close-ups of it on its side don't help me ID it. Hopefully someone else will recognize what it is.

The opposite end has a piece of a circuit board under the perspex; the green color and the tinned circuit runs are a giveaway. On the board, on the inside, I see what looks like yellowish boxy thing that could be another capacitor, and another of darker blue capacitor on the other corner (see the close-up on its side). Next to that yellowish capacitor is a tiny, off-white or tan resistor or similar-looking component (it's hard to see clearly enough). Next to that on the outer edge is a metallic blue component with red ends. Not sure what it is - cap, resistor, coil - I've never seen one like it before.

Then there are those two copper-colored coily wires. They look pretty thin and flexible, so it could even be the color of the insulation, or clear insulation, since a single-strand wire even that thin wouldn't be so easy to coil and bend into place, but a multi-strand twisted wire would. And then there is that thing what looks like a scrunched-up yellow sticky note in the middle of it all.

I'm sure there is more on this thing, but I can't make out anything else. Maybe someone with better eyes than I've got will see more and expand on this dissection.

I hope some of this is helpful.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Angelus Lupus

Good references, even though I'm distracted by the scab on Adric's hand!
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

rob49152

Don't worry, He heals super fast!

I've noticed a lot of broken image links in message posting the past few days. There seem to be a few missing from this topic as well.

galacticprobe

May 11, 2017, 03:51 am #11 Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 03:51 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: rob49152 on May 10, 2017, 04:20 pm
I've noticed a lot of broken image links in message posting the past few days. There seem to be a few missing from this topic as well.

I haven't noticed any problems with the images, Rob. (Probably just jinxed myself with that.) Have you tried a different browser? (It's how I found out the problem I was having with the embedded player was with my Safari; I gave Google Chrome a try and had no problems with that.)

Maybe it's just something in your browser that needs updating? (Only guessing, but it's a possibility.)

Quote from: Angelus Lupus on May 10, 2017, 10:49 am
...though I'm distracted by the scab on Adric's hand!

Gross, Angelus... really gross. :P ;)

Dino.

drdean

Here is my take on the image translator. I think it's come out pretty close.

10F81C16-43F4-41D0-8ED0-03FFB754D190.jpeg

russellsuthern

Looks pretty accurate to me!

Good job.

Russell

elkad

Quote from: drdean on Aug 25, 2020, 12:56 pmHere is my take on the image translator. I think it's come out pretty close.

10F81C16-43F4-41D0-8ED0-03FFB754D190.jpeg

Now all you need is a broken image translator.
From the screencaps from this post, the broken translator is a crystal shard than a round one on clear pegs.

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on May 09, 2017, 08:21 amimage translator 001.jpg

Crystal Shard By Ripple Designs.jpg