May 01, 2024, 09:32 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2005-2010 Windows

Started by danzoid, Jun 27, 2016, 11:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

danzoid

Jun 27, 2016, 11:27 pm Last Edit: Mar 12, 2018, 09:13 pm by Scarfwearer
Hi all, haven't posted much, if not anything on this forum but I have been on it for a few years now, quietly watching and reading all of the wonderful things this forum has to offer, I always manage to learn something new about the TARDIS whenever I visit here.
Anyway, enough rabble, I'm attempting to build a 2005 style TARDIS exterior (I hope I finish it!), but one thing that seems to be quite inconsistent are the windows and panels, in some shots from around series 1 and 2, the windows and panels seem square, but later than that, they seem to narrow. I know that they changed the prop for series 4 from what I've read on this forum. It also looks as if the windows and panels are square on the plans from 2004/2005.
Another trivial inconsistency is the fact that the windows (I think especially starting from Tennant's run) begin to have an orangey tint from episode to episode, the reason was the fact that the console inside was quite orange at the time.

But back to the original question; were the TARDIS exterior windows square at one point, until they changed the prop for series 4 onwards?

TARDIS Side.pngTARDIS2.png

galacticprobe

Jun 28, 2016, 04:26 am #1 Last Edit: Nov 30, 2017, 04:33 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: danzoid on Jun 27, 2016, 11:27 pm
Hi all, haven't posted much, if not anything on this forum but I have been on it for a few years now, quietly watching and reading all of the wonderful things this forum has to offer, I always manage to learn something new about the TARDIS whenever I visit here.

So, danzoid, decided to finally come out of "Lurk Mode", eh? ;D ;D ;D

Anyway, enough rabble, I'm attempting to build a 2005 style TARDIS exterior (I hope I finish it!),

AH! You'd better! We'd love to see the Old Girl done up in all her glory! :D

but one thing that seems to be quite inconsistent are the windows and panels, in some shots from around series 1 and 2, the windows and panels seem square, but later than that, they seem to narrow.

Ah-ha! Questions! ("Fantastic!") Let's see if we can get through this and get your answers before I run out of fuel.

I know that they changed the prop for series 4 from what I've read on this forum. It also looks as if the windows and panels are square on the plans from 2004/2005.

Well, I've always said if there was anything consistent with the Old Girl it's her inconsistencies! But yes; at the start of Series 1 all of the panels were more square. The building plans for that TARDIS - which last were on display at the Doctor Who Experience - show that.

Another trivial inconsistency is the fact that the windows (I think especially starting from Tennant's run) begin to have an orangey tint from episode to episode, the reason was the fact that the console inside was quite orange at the time.

Right again. During Eccleston's run in Series 1 the windows were lit with something between a pale blue and "cool" white light. I'm not exactly sure when they moved more to the "warm" white light, but it was during Tennant's era. They weren't exactly orangey by Tennant's finale, but they were close. (They were initially really orangey during Series 5 when Matt Smith took over and the TARDIS "rebuilt" herself, before they went to almost blinding white in Series 6 on.)

But back to the original question; were the TARDIS exterior windows square at one point, until they changed the prop for series 4 onwards?

Yes. No. Well, both, actually. If you download Bill Rudloff's plans for the Series 1-4 TARDIS, which he painstakingly researched and photo-matched with known measurements, you'll see that they differ from the original plans at the DWE. The DWE plans were the original (I guess we could call it the "Rose") box, and the windows and panels were rather square. Later in Series 1 they built another TARDIS prop and modified the look a little (as you'll see on Bill's drawings, which he did based on the revised TARDIS). You'll find those plans here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bkbkaameov9rwh7/2005TARDISPlans.pdf?. They're free PDF download and the measurements are in inches. Just do a "Save As..." once the page loads to save the file.

You'll notice that from the front, the windows and panels look less square. This is because with the second TARDIS prop they added a little extra trim to the sides near the corner posts to narrow the doors. Then when you look at the side, you'll notice the windows and panels are still more on the square side because that extra trim from the front wasn't added to the side: only to the front, and I think the back. So while the front and possibly the rear were more rectangular, the sides retained their original "squarish" look.

I think when they built another prop for Series 4 (which with few alterations used the same measurements for the new Series 5-7 prop), they added that extra trim on all sides so the rectangular shape of the windows and panels were the same on all four sides. (Bill would know more about that, so if he doesn't poke in and see this to correct any inaccuracies in my info - he was last logged in a week ago - you can always send him a PM, to DoctorWho8, and ask him; the PM will trigger an e-mail notice to let him know he's got a message waiting, and he's pretty good with answering people.)

Well, I hope I covered everything you were looking for. If not, then just ask for what I missed out. And I hope this is helpful.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

danzoid

Thanks! That's brilliant, yeah, helped a lot and I've yet again managed to learn some new bits. I personally prefer the more squarer windows and panels mainly 'cos it makes it look a bit more robust and larger overall, I really quite like the large TARDIS boxes they've used since 2005. The Character Options TARDIS toy seems to go by those 'Rose' plans.

Ooh blimey, those plans by DoctorWho8 look gorgeous, really, really interesting and just simply great! I'll spend a lot of time staring at them.

Thanks again!

galacticprobe

Jun 29, 2016, 03:26 am #3 Last Edit: Jun 29, 2016, 03:33 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: danzoid on Jun 28, 2016, 12:00 pm
I personally prefer the more squarer windows and panels mainly 'cos it makes it look a bit more robust and larger overall,

You're welcome, danzoid. And that's exactly why they went with the larger box for the New Series; they wanted the TARDIS to look more robust, and have more of a resemblance to a "real" Police Box that the Classic TARDIS props. I've seen a really great New Series TARDIS replica and a Classic TARDIS replica at a convention I went to a few years ago. They weren't side by side, but standing close enough to each one it's safe to say the New Series TARDIS is about a fourth to a third larger than the Classic versions.

I really quite like the large TARDIS boxes they've used since 2005. The Character Options TARDIS toy seems to go by those 'Rose' plans.

Well, you're probably not alone, but you're also on the minority side. A lot of the fans of the Classic Series didn't like the "square" look the TARDIS had, which might be why when they built the second prop during Series 1 they narrowed the door panels some. (It was the most seen part, at least from head-on.) Many - myself included - thought the Old Girl looked too "squat" initially. That slight narrowing of the door panels made her look more in line with the Classic props, and real Police Boxes, while still keeping her size intact.

I can't really speak for the CO New Series TARDISes. The only CO TARDIS I've got so far is the 1st Doctor's (the original Brachacki design), which is my favorite of all the TARDISes.

Ooh blimey, those plans by DoctorWho8 look gorgeous, really, really interesting and just simply great! I'll spend a lot of time staring at them.

I'm glad you like them. Bill worked really hard to get things as accurate to the Series 1-4 box (narrower doors version) as possible, and I think he's nailed the measurements. When he checks in again and reads this I'm sure he'll be very pleased.

Thanks again!

You are more than welcome and I'm glad I was able to help.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

danzoid

I can totally understand why people weren't so happy with the square windows, it seems that the general idea of series 1 was to 'bulk' everything up a bit what with the Daleks also getting the treatment.
Everyone's got their favourite looking box, it's all about personal preference at the end of the day (It'll be interesting to see if Chibnall completely overhauls the look of the box when he comes in)

But anyway, just for reference purposes, I took a quick shot of my CO 2005-10 TARDIS box (It's a bit dirty), I reckon CO based it off of the 'Rose' plans. I must just quickly say, the CO TARDIS boxes and interiors (especially the Coral playset) are surprisingly brilliantly detailed.
CO TARDIS front resized.jpg

No More

Quote from: galacticprobe on Jun 28, 2016, 04:26 am

I think when they built another prop for Series 4 (which with few alterations used the same measurements for the new Series 5-7 prop), they added that extra trim on all sides so the rectangular shape of the windows and panels were the same on all four sides.

The "a few alterations" bit is the difficult part. :)  Trying to put together bits from different threads on this, I've seen comments from Bill that the posts are 1.5" - 2" thicker on the Smith/Capaldi box, which means correspondingly wider base.  (And presumably the walls and doors are therefore correspondingly further inset from the edge of the base.). I haven't spotted yet any quantitative comments on the widths of the panels and windows on that box - can someone (especially Bill but I don't want to downplay anyone else's opinion) confirm whether our accepted belief is that they're the same as the Series 1-4 plans or that they've altered again?  Including whether they're narrower on the doors than the walls.

The window frames are also deeper on the Smith/Capaldi box aren't they?  Are the panel inset depths believed to be the same as Series 1-4?

(Here I am talking about "the" Smith/Capaldi box as if they don't tweak the prop over the course of 6 years...   :) )

I'm particularly interested in those changes because I was outvoted by the rest of my family: I'm told if I ever build a box it'll be Smith/Capaldi and not the earlier NST box (for which I would simply look at Bill's measurements as final).