Apr 24, 2024, 11:07 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Bonhams Auction article TYJ MK1

Started by type40, Jun 22, 2016, 09:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

type40

Hi, I just found this in my scrapbook. It's the Bonham's auction article in the newspaper. I assume this would be around 1994? and bought by Andrew Beech?   ???tardis at bonhams.jpg

galacticprobe

Jun 23, 2016, 05:33 am #1 Last Edit: Jun 23, 2016, 06:00 am by galacticprobe
"They said that their front living-room window would have to be demolished to get it in the flat," said the couple that got the Dalek. You can't get more apt than that when having a Dalek enter your flat! ;D (I wonder if they realized what they'd said at the time. Brilliant!)

It also kind of reminds me of that frightening scene in "The Stolen Earth" when the family runs back into their house - after the father pelts a Dalek with a brick - and several Daleks converge on the house, take aim, and belt out "Dalek attack formation seven. Maximum extermination" before blowing the house to bits.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Angelus Lupus

Interesting (and highly prescient) that the young boy looks like he's cosplaying a mix of Tennant (trousers, trainers) and Smith (Blazer and bowtie)  :)
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

galacticprobe

Jun 24, 2016, 03:50 am #3 Last Edit: Jun 24, 2016, 03:51 am by galacticprobe
With a little mix of McCoy thrown in (the hat) and a slight hint of Troughton in the hair. Nice observation, Angelus! That one slipped right by me.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

Jun 03, 2019, 07:32 am #4 Last Edit: Jun 03, 2019, 07:36 am by warmcanofcoke
https://cuttingsarchive.org/index.php/Tardis_just_the_ticket!

1991-05-12_Mail_on_Sunday.jpg1991-05-12_Mail_on_Sunday.jpg

Publication: The Mail on Sunday
Date: 1991-05-12
Page: 5

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=9626.0
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

ciderman

I seem to remember it sold for around £12,000 at the time I believe? Adjusted for inflation that's approximately £26,600 today.
I may be wrong though. I very often am

warmcanofcoke

Doctor Who Magazine 174 (12th June 1991)
Yardley Jones Box - Mk 1 (refurb)
dwm174_05.jpgdwm174_05.jpg
Quote from: ciderman on Jun 03, 2019, 09:10 am
I seem to remember it sold for around £12,000 at the time I believe? Adjusted for inflation that's approximately £26,600 today.

When did the sale of the Yardley Jones Box - Mk 1 (refurb) occur?
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

ciderman

Ha! If my memory is right then I believe it was around 1990, about a year after I left school and started work. Bonham's were featured in DWB magazine (Doctor Who Bulletin) I remember the headline very clearly: 'Dr Who fan pays £12,000 for piece of junk!' owing to the state of the prop. My apprentice wage at the time was £87 a week to put things in perspective!. The buyer was Andrew Beech.
I went to a Panopticon in Coventry later that year or the year after where it was used on stage for the quests to exit. James Bree was there as the keeper of the Matrix with the original outfit.
I snagged a yellow pair of Mysterious Planet Marb worker overalls from John Fitton mail order. Interesting days because props and outfits were materialising regularly then. At the same time JNT auctioned off a roundel for charity. I wish I had grabbed it....

ciderman

Having a dig around online, www.richardwho has some extensive listings of the Bonham's early 90's auctions including a police box sign for sale in march 94