Apr 19, 2024, 10:59 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The14thDr's Custom Demat Circuit

Started by The14thDr, Jun 20, 2016, 02:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

Jun 20, 2016, 02:33 pm Last Edit: Feb 11, 2017, 11:16 pm by The14thDr
This worked quite well and generated a bit of interest on my last mystery build (the 10th Doctor's Adipose Detector), so I thought I'd try it again.
Can anyone guess what my next build is going to be, using only the objects below?
IMG_20160620_1529043_rewind.jpg

• 8 wooden discs (38mm diameter)

• 4 plastic tubes

• a blue ping pong ball EDIT: wooden bead

+ 8 giant paper clips and some copper wire

Answers revealed tomorrow. ;D

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

Skaldak

galacticprobe

Jun 20, 2016, 09:02 pm #2 Last Edit: Jun 20, 2016, 09:02 pm by galacticprobe
That's what I was thinking, Skaldak, but it's that blue ping-pong ball that's throwing me. ???

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

expendable

There ought to be some sculpty, diodes and resisters for that.

BioDoctor900

I'm staring at my props on my shelf trying to work out what the hell You're going to be making  ??? It's going to be one of those situations where you tell us and we all go have a 'how didn't I work that out' moment

BioDoctor900

The14thDr

Right first time Skaldak, I'm building a slightly customised version of the 3rd Doctor's demat circuit. The ping pong ball was originally supposed to be for the centre of the circuit, but after a quick mock-up, I decided that it was too big, so I'll be using a smaller wooden bead instead. ::)

The14thDr

Feb 12, 2017, 02:21 pm #6 Last Edit: Feb 18, 2017, 10:45 am by The14thDr
I figured it's about time I started working on this prop (then again it's only been 8 months after the original post ;))

I began with a revised materials list:
IMG_0298.JPG

• 12 wooden disks (40mm diameter)

• 4 plastic tubes (10mm diameter)

• 12 paper clips

• 12 assorted beads

• scraps of acrylic from the school's laser cutter back when I was studying product design last year

• 4-sided dice

The14thDr

Feb 18, 2017, 10:47 am #7 Last Edit: Feb 18, 2017, 10:46 pm by The14thDr
I finally started working on my custom demat circuit!! (Well... it's only been 8 or 9 months since the original post ;))

For the main "body", I attached the four plastic tubes to each corner of the 4-sided dice, to get the angles/spacing just right.
IMG_0312.JPG

I then glued the wooden disks together in stacks of 3 for the ends of the tubes.
IMG_0313.JPG

More updates soon.

The14thDr

Today I covered the central part of the demat circuit in clay. Once this sets I will sand it down to a more even shape.
IMG_0330.JPG

I also glued the acrylic "scraps" to the wooden discs. They serve no purpose here, other than for decoration, but I quite like the look they give.
IMG_0315.JPG

More updates soon.

The14thDr

This sort of fell to the wayside due to me working on a number of other projects, but I eventually got round to gluing the four wheels onto my demat circuit.
IMG_0612.JPG

The14thDr

Mar 17, 2017, 05:38 pm #10 Last Edit: Mar 17, 2017, 05:43 pm by The14thDr
This is starting to look more like a demat circuit now. ;D

When I was adding the four discs, I used plenty of tape to hold them in place until the glue dried, but when I removed the tape it took some of the black paint with it.

I was originally going to repaint the "core" but after a while I decided I actually preferred the weathered look and left it as it is.

Anyway, I mixed some PVA glue and water in a 1:1 ratio and coated the core of the demat circuit with this mixture to give it a shiny look and to preserve the paint. :P
IMG_0614.JPG

As you can see in the photo above, I've also started to add the wires that connect the four discs (more on this in the next update)

Cardinal Hordriss

Looking good. Will there be a housing for it on one of the panels of your console or in the base somewhere?
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

The14thDr

That's the plan.
I was originally going to build a housing to go in the console's base, but I prefer the idea of having the TARDIS circuitry visible on the panels (to make it more accessible for repairs, etc.), so I'll be building a housing for one of the panels that the demat circuit can be attached to via magnets.

I'll try to get some ideas drawn up soon.

The14thDr

Mar 17, 2017, 10:33 pm #13 Last Edit: Mar 17, 2017, 10:41 pm by The14thDr
Last update for today.

To make the coils of wire for the circuit, I started out with a paper clip and a plastic bead. To begin with I bent the paper clip in half and threaded the bead onto it.
I then twisted the paper clip around a wooden cocktail stick.
IMG_0615.JPG

I repeated these steps until I had 12 coils.....
IMG_0616.JPG

..... it was only once I'd attached the coils to the demat circuit that I realised that I'd made way too many. :P ::)
IMG_0617.JPG

I'll hopefully be adding the finishing touches tomorrow, so expect the final update soon.

Cardinal Hordriss

That is looking really good. A friend ended up making me an accurate one because I just couldn't build one to meet my own standards but this one already looks to be on the path to being a great prop and I'd say you've already got all of the most difficult bits done.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...