Mar 29, 2024, 05:55 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Classic Style Fan Video Console

Started by lespaceplie, Jun 06, 2011, 02:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

karsthotep

I really really like this design. How well do you think it would translate to a 1:1 to the classic consoles rather than the 20% reduction? 

did I meantion I liked the design?  No?..well its awesome.
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

lespaceplie

Thanks again for the compliments.

This should scale up to 42" panels quite easily. The belt would need to remain 3" tall (no scaling), and the plinth would be wider and a little taller. At a glance it would hardly look different at all.

For practical considerations, I had originally wanted a design that was only 5 feet wide, but it just can't dip below 6 feet without becoming squat. Then again, I could always revise the secondary console.

lespaceplie

For actual construction I'd prefer to use styrene sheet, styrofoam (laminated), aluminum and minimal plywood. This route will not be cheap, but it would make a fantastically mobile prop. This wouldn't be a terrible idea for constructing a replica of one of the screen-used consoles either. I'll withhold this aspect of the project until it gets out of the virtual phase except where the construction technique necessitates design changes.

One significant change is that I will probably drop the idea of the panels being individual boxes with space between. The gap is pretty long and might be tough to keep aligned. There will likely still be a physical division, but there will be filler (much like the way the current series console is put together). I don't want a simple belt.

expendable

You could use a spacer. A dowel cut to length and drilled in the center, two aligned holes in the panels. A bolt with a wing nut to tighten it down.

lespaceplie

Jul 17, 2014, 06:59 pm #34 Last Edit: Jul 17, 2014, 07:16 pm by lespaceplie
Yes, but then there would be something visible in the gap. The extreme outer corners would be bound to get displaced after a few assemble/disassemblies. The aesthetic value of the gap is not that great so it would be easier not to have it, but I see where you're going.

I believe I have a design modification that will resolve this and reintroduce the fins in place of the angled panel undersides. I did promise I'd waffle.

Another problem is further design of the controls. The indentations in the upper panels hint at the Brachaki dividers and crown, but that doesn't mean there will be nothing in/on them. Tricky...

expendable

Jul 17, 2014, 09:53 pm #35 Last Edit: Jul 17, 2014, 10:06 pm by expendable
What about putting in a clear acrylic plastic separator that's lit by LEDs?

We could hinge the side panels on the plinth so they fold up around it. Put latches on the plinth so the consoles hang from that, or brackets on the side panels that fit into recesses on the consoles and the foot ring. Probably the most space-saving method of transport.

Or we could build each console as a single standing unit, but we'd have to modify the base.

lespaceplie

No time tonight for a perspective drawing, but here are yet another tweak to the plans with measurements.

redux1.jpg

lespaceplie

Jul 18, 2014, 02:16 am #37 Last Edit: Jul 18, 2014, 02:18 am by lespaceplie
Also a larger pic so that the divider detail is easier to discern. It's pretty much the gaps filled in at a depth of around 1/2" with a little pop of color. The fins are restored at half the width of the uprights. I'm happier still with this design. Keep in mind that the fan video is to explore an alternate version of the show that might've happened if The Deadly Assassin had been Tom's last episode. The design simply must look feasible for the time.

redux2.jpg

lespaceplie

As promised and a day late I present the axonometric rendering.

redux3.jpg

expendable

Rassilons Rod

AXONometric?  Sounds slightly Pertwee and even a little bit planty ...  :D
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

prydonianrenegade

Love this console, a nice sleek update to a classic, sorry if I am resurrecting a dead topic but I'd love to see what type of room this would be housed in
- The Prydonian Renegade

galacticprobe

Aug 07, 2016, 07:51 am #42 Last Edit: Aug 07, 2016, 07:51 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: prydonianrenegade on Aug 06, 2016, 02:38 am
...sorry if I am resurrecting a dead topic...

We never resurrect dead topics, PR, so nothing to be sorry about; we just occasionally poke a dormant one to wake it up again.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"