Apr 26, 2024, 06:01 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Wetherby Police Station replica

Started by robertpunk, May 09, 2009, 09:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

simonharries

Jul 29, 2007, 08:48 pm #15 Last Edit: Feb 05, 2010, 05:56 pm by scarfwearer
I've been doing a lot of work in Harrogate and Wetherby recently, and have driven past the police station while taking the road into town from the A1. I stopped to take a few photos this afternoon, in case some close-ups are of any interest to anyone. It is becoming very dilapidated and chipped, while the door is screwed tightly shut.

DSCN0254s.jpg

DSCN0255s.jpg

DSCN0259s.jpg

DSCN0260s.jpg

DSCN0261s.jpg

DSCN0262s.jpg

DSCN0264s.jpg

DSCN0265s.jpg

dalethetimelord

Jul 29, 2007, 10:34 pm #16 Last Edit: Feb 05, 2010, 05:56 pm by scarfwearer
oh well, looks like a new rescue project for me to get started on then!

kiwidoc

Jul 29, 2007, 11:00 pm #17 Last Edit: Feb 05, 2010, 05:57 pm by scarfwearer
Thanks for the update, it's really interesting to see the state that it's in after so many years outside.  I quite like the last picture actually, the colour is quite quite new-series-ish.   Of course you'll know that this is not a real police box but a replica from a decade or so ago but it is still seen and known by many many people and I'm sure much loved in it's own way.   :)

mantamatt

Jul 30, 2007, 07:26 am #18 Last Edit: Feb 05, 2010, 05:57 pm by scarfwearer
Cheers for the pics. Looks even more like a TPE this close up. Love the heavily weathered look though! Did it look like the paint was aged and discoloured or had been repainted several shades?

dalethetimelord

Jul 30, 2007, 12:37 pm #19 Last Edit: Feb 05, 2010, 05:57 pm by scarfwearer
I remember going to see this box especially a couple of years ago, and it was the "proper" Once Upon... colour of a decent dark blue... I'd say the weathering is just that in the case, the weather and elements slowly taking their toll on the prop.

simonharries

Aug 01, 2007, 09:13 pm #20 Last Edit: Feb 05, 2010, 05:57 pm by scarfwearer
Severe weathering in Wetherby I'd say! I'm told Wetherby is a very well-heeled sort of place, so I'm sure this box rarely gets peed or yacked on, or drawn on, and it's not really near any pubs or the main drag of the town, so it's protected from everything except the elements. The fact that a rubber ring is hanging loose from the top light, and the glazing bars are falling off some of the windows, shows that some TLC wouldn't go amiss: the coppers clearly do nothing with it except to ensure that no-one gets inside it.

There's just something about the fact that it sits there, and it's always there as I drive past it. I love glancing at it as I go past. I experience just the same thrill I used to get as a child when I would be driven through the Blackwall Tunnel, on occasional visits to my great aunt in north London, and recognise the two Mile End boxes as they became steadily more decrepit. One day, they weren't there any more, and I missed them... I still look out at the spaces where they used to stand whenever I pass through the tunnel there.

I know the Wetherby box is a replica, but I do love the fact that it's there.

robertpunk

Dec 02, 2008, 12:22 am #21 Last Edit: Feb 05, 2010, 05:58 pm by scarfwearer
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here for a long time so bare with me. I have friends near Harrogate from the Letter Box Study Group which I visited last weekend and on the way back to the A1M the satnav took me through Wetherby, I couldn't resist a quick snap and i['m pleased to say the box was looking rather stunning in the early morning sun and much healthier than last time I saw it.

Now this box looks good again, as does Crich, next stop it Newport!

Wetherby2008.jpg

Rassilons Rod

Dec 02, 2008, 07:54 am #22 Last Edit: Feb 05, 2010, 05:58 pm by scarfwearer
Oh that IS an improvement :)

What was on the RHS door in the old pics? It does rather look like there someone put the phone panel there and then had second thoughts :D

-Marc
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

dalethetimelord

Dec 02, 2008, 10:41 am #23 Last Edit: Feb 05, 2010, 05:58 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Dec 02, 2008, 07:54 amOh that IS an improvement :)

What was on the RHS door in the old pics? It does rather look like there someone put the phone panel there and then had second thoughts :D

-Marc

It was a brief history of the Police Box - I remember it finishing with something along the lines of...

"By 1970 this kind of box was obselete and removed from the street.  It was the end of the Police Box.  But not for Doctor Who."

Rassilons Rod

Dec 02, 2008, 11:38 am #24 Last Edit: Feb 05, 2010, 05:58 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: dalethetimelord on Dec 02, 2008, 10:41 am

It was a brief history of the Police Box - I remember it finishing with something along the lines of...

"By 1970 this kind of box was obselete and removed from the street.  It was the end of the Police Box.  But not for Doctor Who."

Oh I see... they shoulda kept that and put it on a separate sign or something :)

-Marc
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

TG

Nov 05, 2009, 07:57 am #25 Last Edit: Feb 05, 2010, 06:08 pm by scarfwearer
It is a great looking Police Box

I thought it was the real thing when I first saw a picture of it

matty2332

Having just joined this great site, I thought I had to write and explain the history of the Wetherby Tardis.
The Tardis, as you know is a replica and was bought for £1000 I think from a firm in the south by a local Councillor, for our Crime Prevention volunteers to take to shows with them. Upon its arrival it was found to be too big to move around and was left in the corner of the yard. The ravages of wind and rain blew and bashed it about, the final straw came when I discovered a chap using it as a toilet before going into Wetherby Courthouse.
Assisted by a colleague and 2 local tradesmen (Paul Wilson & Steve Kaye) We erected it in its current position, after firstly removing a dilapidated public notice board.
The roof lamp was originally clear, and it did have a metal gong above. I inserted some blue filter plastic inside the light to give it that nice blue glow, as I thought this would look better than having a traditional red light glowing which of course they originally had.
I did some research and prepared an information sheet which I stuck on the right hand door for the benefit of visitors to our open days which has since come off.
I am still amazed by the numbers of people who come to look at it and pose for photos. I am glad it is appreciated despite it being a replica.
It is looking tired and weathered now. As soon as I have time I will start a program of repairs etc.
I also have the Leeds City Police officers handbook for Police boxes which I will post in due course.

Regards

Matt  :)

kiwidoc

Thanks for that Matt-  it's been a object for interest to many people and it's great to hear it's (real) story finally.  Cheers, Glen

Teppic

Jul 11, 2011, 09:08 pm #28 Last Edit: Jul 11, 2011, 09:18 pm by Scarfwearer
I stopped off at the Wetherby Police Station on my way home from Northumberland on 9th July and took a few pictures. The box appears to be mostly in good condition, with the exception of the door which looks like it's been rehung badly, and the window frame above the phone panel that is damaged.

WetherbyPoliceBox1.jpg

WetherbyPoliceBox3.jpg

WetherbyPoliceBox7.jpg

WetherbyPoliceBox8.jpg

WetherbyPoliceBox9.jpg