News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Master's TARDIS (Pillar)

Started by galacticprobe, Feb 20, 2016, 05:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Feb 20, 2016, 05:14 am Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 08:10 pm by rassilonsrod

Quote from: elkad on Feb 20, 2016, 12:48 am
I need a 3d Blue Print for the Warlords Tardis. I like to try to make a cardboard Tardis & need the help of experienced people.

And if it's not all to much I'd also like to make the Master's Greek pillar Tardis out of cardboard.

Elkad, I could be wrong (and would be happy to be proven so), but I think your best reference for the Master's Greek pillar TARDIS is going to be from stories in which it appears, such as "Time-Flight". I have never seen any drawings or concept art for that one (probably because of all the BBC dramas that were set in those ancient times; they may have had dozens of those props on hand, and just needed a note on the production list saying something like "obtain Greek column prop from storage for Master's TARDIS").

That disguise wasn't really modified much, maybe some painting, but you never saw any door. The Master always entered and exited through the back (sort of like the 6th Doctor did when he managed to turn his TARDIS into that fancy cabinet... or the little organ).

This is the only image I've got of the Master's Greek column TARDIS:
MasterTARDIS-Pillar01.jpg
It's cropped from a screen grab from "Time-Flight". All the passengers of the hijacked Victor Fox-trot are exiting from the left side, while the Master exits from the right, but all from the rear. (And if you watch the scene closely you'll see the pillar wobble unevenly as people bump against it, like it's made from a hollow piece of light-weight material - possibly a vac-formed plastic or fiberglas - and isn't a full, all-round piece.) But as you can see there really isn't much to this thing. Hardly any detail on the top, a little step moulding on the bottom, and a fluted column in between.

The top and bottom look relatively easy to make (discs of ply). With some fancy bending of really thin ply - like panelling thin - you could probably bend one sheet around the base and top, then do some tacking on of narrow wood strips to complete the flutes; they mostly end flat at the top, and have just a little bevel at the bottom, something a little filler should be able to handle.

I hope some of this helps, but if you really want to see an easy way to make one of these, check out type55tardis' Build Diary for his http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3495.0, and his finished images in the Gallery here (http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3536.0). I know the links look the same (because he gave them the same title), but they are different. I know he's been busy lately and hasn't logged in since late December last, but if you either PM or e-mail him, I'm sure he'll be more than happy to offer some hints to make the build easier, especially if you let him know that I sent you to him for advice on it.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

masterstardis.jpg

Here is a look inside the Master's Tardis in Time-Flight.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Feb 21, 2016, 04:56 am #2 Last Edit: Feb 21, 2016, 05:31 am by galacticprobe
Nate, that image is absolutely amazing! :o Wooden slats attached to 3/4ths wooden discs held together by a central post, and some re-inforcement around those slats (and it looks like those could even be sections of that thick cardboard concrete forming tube)! Those discs look like they're 3/4th-inch ply, with another "C" ring around the edge for something to secure the slats to, provide added structural integrity while also keeping the weight down; another layer of solid disc would be heavier. Wow. For as sturdy as this thing seems to be put together, I'm amazed at how it wobbled when someone brushed against it in Ep. 4 of "Time-Flight"; it flexed like it was made from plastic! This image is a treasure for anyone wanting to build one.

You can see the base is only thick at the bottom on the outside, so it's built up there, and the very bottom looks like 3/4th-inch ply in a large 3/4ths disc. Still not sure how they made those "flutes" on the outside, but I'm still leaning towards the extra slats laid on over the "core" of the prop. Now seeing this it would make sense if they did do it that way because it would help cover over the seams where the core slats joined. Looking back at the image I posted, the top could be a section of that heavy cardboard tube - it is very plain up there - with a disc of ply between it and the main part of the prop forming that "moulding".

Those smooth bevels on the bottom of the flutes, just above the base, may still be just filler to round them off, unless they actually used small pieces of bevelled wood in between the outer slats. A little filling and sanding would cover those seams, especially once the paint was put on. And it's interesting to see how the prop looks dark brown in that "showing the inside" image, but it's stone grey from the front when you see it in the episode.

Nate, do you have any other info on the prop? Things like whether it was a 'Doctor Who' specific-made prop, or if it was one recycled from another production (or even one of the pillars from the Season 14 console room that hasn't been painted stone grey yet); other production prop recycling did happen quite often in the Classic Series. Or do you have any other images like this one? I'm astounded that anyone had a view of it from this angle and I want to thank you so much for sharing it with us! (You're amazing, and you can bet this image is going into my 'Who' folder!)

So, elkad, thinking about how this prop was put together makes me think that maybe you could use a couple of those large thick cardboard tubes used for forming concrete pillars to build one of these: one for the core and another cut into strips for the flutes on the outside, unless you'd rather use ready-cut 1 x 2s for that. With minimal wood (say a 2 x 4 for the center post, and some 3/4th-inch ply for the discs, and those flute I mentioned), you could make a fine Master's Greek Column TARDIS that would be fairly lightweight, yet still sturdy.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

Stone grey? Sandstone, surely?
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Feb 21, 2016, 08:51 am #4 Last Edit: Feb 21, 2016, 08:52 am by galacticprobe
Well, some kind of stone color. (I just thought that "stone grey" sounded about right for the color, not so much the material it was supposed to emulate. "Grey stone" sounded a little too much like "grey skull". A Time Lord's TARDIS might be his castle, but... Castle Grey Skull? Didn't really want to go there. Oh; but now you made me go there anyway. ;D)

Dino.

Rassilons Rod

Sorry buddy  :)

Well, it's just that stone grey makes me think of Granite :)

Incidentally, I did always think it had been repainted for Time flight.  Wasn't this also the last time this version of his TARDIS was used?

After this was:
Kings Demons- Iron Maiden
5 Doctors- none
Planet of Fire- 3 sided column
Mark of the Rani- none
Ultimate Foe- house
Survival- none
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Quote from: galacticprobe on Feb 21, 2016, 04:56 am
Nate, that image is absolutely amazing! :o Wooden slats attached to 3/4ths wooden discs held together by a central post, and some re-inforcement around those slats (and it looks like those could even be sections of that thick cardboard concrete forming tube)! Those discs look like they're 3/4th-inch ply, with another "C" ring around the edge for something to secure the slats to, provide added structural integrity while also keeping the weight down;

It is indeed a great literally behind the scenes shot! And a great build summation by our eagle-eyed Dino!  The only thing to add is that the top nearside slats have been broken. :)

Was it was a 'Doctor Who' specific-made prop, or if it was one recycled from another production (or even one of the pillars from the Season 14 console room that hasn't been painted stone grey yet); other production prop recycling did happen quite often in the Classic Series.

It's not from the wooden Secondary Control Room, these pillars weren't fluted but simply 'slatted' with the slats carrying all the way from top to bottom:
AuxCon037.jpg
I think that Dino's probably correct in saying that the pillar has been re-used from elsewhere; making scenery modular would allow it to be reused - if you made the pillar in two halves (or quarters) in the first place, it could be used as a 'full' pillar or as a pilaster as and when required.  :)

T

elkad

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Feb 21, 2016, 09:11 am
Sorry buddy  :)

Incidentally, I did always think it had been repainted for Time flight.  Wasn't this also the last time this version of his TARDIS was used?

After this was:
Kings Demons- Iron Maiden
5 Doctors- none
Planet of Fire- 3 sided column
Mark of the Rani- none
Ultimate Foe- house
Survival- none

The pillar was used in "Logopolis","Castrovalva & last, "Time Flight". From what I seen, it was a more earth color brown with darker shades here & there

warmcanofcoke

Nate, do you have any other info on the prop? Things like whether it was a 'Doctor Who' specific-made prop, or if it was one recycled from another production (or even one of the pillars from the Season 14 console room that hasn't been painted stone grey yet); other production prop recycling did happen quite often in the Classic Series. Or do you have any other images like this one? I'm astounded that anyone had a view of it from this angle and I want to thank you so much for sharing it with us! (You're amazing, and you can bet this image is going into my 'Who' folder!)
Dino.

I came across this shot on one of the extras on the Time-Flight DVD. I don't know much more than that. But it is a good exrtra to watch if you're interested in building the Master's Tardis.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Feb 22, 2016, 05:01 am #9 Last Edit: Feb 22, 2016, 05:29 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Feb 22, 2016, 03:04 am
I came across this shot on one of the extras on the Time-Flight DVD.

Argh! Another DVD to rush out and buy! (But I think I saw one on sale at our local FYE store; actually they have most of their TV show DVDs on sale at the moment, or at least did have. I'll ask the wife to dash out on Monday for a recce. She shouldn't mind; she loves Peter Davison: ever since she saw his role of Tristan Farnon in 'All Creatures Great And Small'.)

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Feb 21, 2016, 05:07 pm
It is indeed a great literally behind the scenes shot! And a great build summation by our eagle-eyed Dino!  The only thing to add is that the top nearside slats have been broken. :)
------
It's not from the wooden Secondary Control Room, these pillars weren't fluted but simply 'slatted' with the slats carrying all the way from top to bottom:

Ah... thanks, Tony; but not so eagle-eyed, it seems, or I'd have noticed the difference of those secondary console room columns. (Either that, or we can write it off as a fuzzy memory since I haven't looked at one of those episodes in a while.)

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Feb 21, 2016, 05:07 pm
I think that Dino's probably correct in saying that the pillar has been re-used from elsewhere; making scenery modular would allow it to be reused - if you made the pillar in two halves (or quarters) in the first place, it could be used as a 'full' pillar or as a pilaster as and when required.  :)

It does make perfect sense. If 'Doctor Who' can recycle props from other productions like 'Space: 1999' and 'UFO' (as mentioned in another topic) with minimal redressing, then they could just as easily have recycled one from a Roman-period production (such as 'I, Claudius', which was filmed in 1976 so the pillar/column would have been in storage and available).

Quote from: elkad on Feb 21, 2016, 06:20 pm
The pillar was used in "Logopolis","Castrovalva & last, "Time Flight".

Not a bad run for a "recurring" prop. (And it answers Marc's question about when it was used.)

Quote from: elkad on Feb 21, 2016, 06:20 pm
From what I seen, it was a more earth color brown with darker shades here & there

I wonder if it had been repainted for each story. In the grab I posted from "Time-Flight" it certainly looks very blah grey from the front; although, in Nate's image seeing it from the back, what we can see from the front side it does look rather milk-chocolate brown. (Maybe they hadn't painted it grey yet?)

Sorry buddy  :)

I still think you planned to lead me there. ;) ;D ;D ;D

Point taken. How does "grey-colored stone" sound?

Incidentally, I did always think it had been repainted for Time flight.

It does look like it could have been. There does seem to be a lot of paint on it. Maybe to help cover up any seams or blemishes? (After all, it's like sillysparrowness says in her video: "Everything looks better when it's covered in paint." :D)

Dino.

elkad

I had a hard time reading the text written, so I enlarged the image & made the text more readable. Let me know if I had gotten any details incorrect. The symbol (") is inches & (') is feet yes?

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2438.msg81870

galacticprobe

Feb 25, 2016, 07:07 pm #11 Last Edit: Feb 25, 2016, 07:07 pm by galacticprobe
Nice job, elkad! (I posted more in that other topic.) But for reference in this one, as Tony said in the other one, you are correct: " is inches and ' is feet.

Dino.

elkad

Sep 02, 2017, 05:15 pm #12 Last Edit: Sep 02, 2017, 05:16 pm by elkad
I just had an Idea for making a Greek Pillar Tardis.

I remember it was suggested to use plastic or metal siding for the wavy gaps in the structure. Can someone find the Pillar Tardis build link, I know there was one here.  ???

I thought using cardboard tube used to make concrete pillars for the body & paste on cardboard sheet for the gaps.
sonotube2.jpg

I don't know if I asked it before but, any Ideas on the size, measurements?

elkad

Quote from: elkad on Sep 02, 2017, 05:15 pm
Can someone find the Pillar Tardis build link, I know there was one here.  ???

never mind I found it.  ::) 
It's bin a wile since I read this page.

danielc

Plans from Season 18 Blu-Ray pdfThe Master's TARDIS exterior doric column jpg.jpg