Apr 19, 2024, 11:15 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

7th Doctor's "Eye" Medallion

Started by The14thDr, May 14, 2016, 05:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

May 14, 2016, 05:52 pm Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 05:05 pm by The14thDr
I haven't built many props from the pre-2005 era of Doctor Who, so for my third Classic-Who prop I have decided to build the "Eye" Medallion from the Seventh Doctor story The Greatest Show in the Galaxy.

To create the shape of the medallion I rolled out a piece of air drying clay to around 1cm thick and cut a 3" circle out of it.
I also made a cardboard template for the inner part of the medallion and pressed this into the clay to form a rim around the edge of where the eye will go.
image.jpg
image.jpg

To paint the bronze parts of the medallion I used some of the "worn penny" acrylic paint that I bought for my Eleventh Doctor's Lash-Up Device back in April.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

The14thDr

May 16, 2016, 07:41 pm #1 Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 07:42 pm by The14thDr
Today I painted the back of the medallion. As you can see I left the 1.5" hemisphere off this particular replica, mainly because I couldn't accurately mold the shape, but also because I prefer the design without it.

I also painted the silver centre on the front of the medallion.
image.jpg
image.jpg

galacticprobe

May 17, 2016, 05:17 am #2 Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 05:18 am by galacticprobe
Looking good so far, 14th. And at this stage of the build, I would have left off that backside hemi as well, if for no other reason than stability while finishing the front details. I mean, when you look at it <bad pun>, the front is the part that's looking back at you and what has all of the details on it. And to be honest, until the reference images I saw here on TB, I never knew the original prop had that backside hemi. (It was probably intended to represent a complete "eye socket" for the eye that gets inserted into the front, but I doubt anyone would notice it missing.)

Battle on!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Thanks Dino. That's what I was thinking as well, it was more trouble than it was worth trying to mold the clay into a perfect hemisphere, especially as it's a detail that no-one else will see.

P.S. The eye is gets inserted into the front of the medallion?! Looks like I'll be building a "functioning" replica once I've finished the 'stunt' version. ;D

galacticprobe

May 17, 2016, 06:52 am #4 Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 06:58 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: The14thDr on May 17, 2016, 05:26 am
P.S. The eye is gets inserted into the front of the medallion?!

I believe that was the intention - at least to have it look like it. I think on the actual "practical" prop it was only a half-eye that was attached to the medallion via a magnet. Check out the  reference images that elkad posted in Oblivion's Build Diary for his replica: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=5819.msg69045#msg69045. It was either that half-eye and magnet, or it was a full eye having a very snug fit. My guess? It was the former (half-eye and magnet for the working prop), with a full eyeball for FX and show. (I haven't seen that story since it aired in 1988 so my memory on the detail is fuzzy, but I think there was some mention of how it might have worked in Oblivion's diary.)

Quote from: The14thDr on May 17, 2016, 05:26 am
Looks like I'll be building a "functioning" replica once I've finished the 'stunt' version. ;D

Have at it! One can never have too many prop replicas on hand. (It's always nice to have a spare.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Thanks Dino. I'll probaby start the magnetic-eye version in a few months (that should give me a bit of time to finish the dozen other projects I'm currently working on ;D)
And I agree, one can never have too many props (then again, I only say that because I currently have 30 replicas and am working on about 10 more simultaneously ;))

This morning I moulded the eye for the centre of the medallion.
Once the clay dries, I can add the eyelashes and other finishing details.
image.jpg

The14thDr

Started painting the eye details onto the medallion. IMG_20160607_1824130_rewind.jpg

davidnagel

Oh my! How splendid does that look! Nice job.
Regards
David

galacticprobe

Jun 08, 2016, 06:07 am #8 Last Edit: Jun 08, 2016, 06:07 am by galacticprobe
Oh yeah! I have to agree on that one! This is one spectacular replica! Now I'll really looking forward to seeing how you improve on it with V2.0 (the magnetic one... but in a few months like you said: no rush... never any rush; I know we say that enough, but then we also say we're looking forward to things... sort of confuses the brain - well, mine at least! :P ;D)

Dino.

The14thDr

Quote from: davidnagel on Jun 08, 2016, 12:12 am
Oh my! How splendid does that look! Nice job.

Quote from: galacticprobe on Jun 08, 2016, 06:07 am
Oh yeah! I have to agree on that one! This is one spectacular replica!

Thanks guys. ;D The final coat of paint is currently drying, so aside from the chain, this prop is essentially completed. More photos tonight.

Quote from: galacticprobe on Jun 08, 2016, 06:07 am
Now I'll really looking forward to seeing how you improve on it with V2.0 (the magnetic one... but in a few months like you said: no rush... never any rush; I know we say that enough, but then we also say we're looking forward to things... sort of confuses the brain - well, mine at least! :P ;D)

Dino.

TBH I'm looking forwards to making the V2.0 as well. There are a few improvements I'd like to make to the build process, such as adding the hemisphere to the back of the medallion and moulding those "detail lines" around the hemisphere.

The14thDr

Jun 11, 2016, 08:33 pm #10 Last Edit: Jun 11, 2016, 08:36 pm by The14thDr
On Wednesday I added the final coat of paint to the 'eyelashes' and coated the entire medallion with PVA glue.
IMG_20160611_213156_kindlephoto-12916530.jpg

galacticprobe

Jun 12, 2016, 07:00 am #11 Last Edit: Jun 12, 2016, 07:01 am by galacticprobe
Yeah! Now go and show those Gods of Ragnarok who's the boss... erm... Doctor! ;D

Dino.

Davros Skaro

like what you did with this build, very cleaver (y)  :D
Chris.

The14thDr

Thanks davros skaro. I'm thinking of upgrading this at some point, as I still need to add the hemisphere to the back of the medallion, and the way you used foil to recreate the wrinkled effect of the original is really cool. ;D