Apr 19, 2024, 04:00 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Console for Harrison

Started by wyzzero, May 09, 2016, 06:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

wyzzero

May 09, 2016, 06:03 pm Last Edit: Mar 03, 2018, 06:13 pm by Scarfwearer
So, I wanted to start this Diary, to keep me motivated to actually do this project and not just talk about it.

I'm working on a small Tardis Console-like activity board. Wanted something with lots of buttons, switches, levers, and other random objects that a baby might find fun to mess with but as he grows, he could still have fun with it (made me think of a Tardis Console, hell, and Adult would have fun with one of those, why else are we all building them?  ;D ).

Now, I've been trying to plan out my build, considering using various light up game on the panels. like: Simon, FlashPad, etc. This assists with the idea to make this console usable by a baby (who loves lights and noises) and more usable as he gets older, since he can begin to understand the games and play them.

The Time Rotor has been the largest issue for me, what do I put in the center to still draw attention. The up/down motion of a center piece was seeming a bit complex for a small toy. Florescent lights or LED tube lights would start increasing the size to a point where this thing wouldn't be very movable.

My most recent ideas have been just getting a dome and putting a color changing LED inside that might be activatable from some of the switches/buttons.
Another idea, I just came across, and seems promising (especially with the attached price tag of $10.90 US):

USB DJ Plasma Tube - http://usb.brando.com/usb-dj-plasma-tube_p00515c0035d015.html
ULIFE016200_1.jpg
Wish they were color changing and not a static color, but they pulse to music, which will look great with the Tardis Sound FX

Always open for ideas, suggestions, recommendations, and/or critiques as this goes.

gambit410

Quote from: wyzzero on May 09, 2016, 06:03 pm
My most recent ideas have been just getting a dome and putting a color changing LED inside that might be activatable from some of the switches/buttons.
A

Have a look at my build, i did the same think, upside down plastic salad bowl with remote control led lights. IF your up to it you can even rewire the led emitter to console button.

domvar

May 10, 2016, 12:52 pm #2 Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 01:11 pm by domvar
Hi wyzzero,  

I hope this doesn't come across as a lecture because that is not the intention.

I think your key thing to focus on is safety in something for such a small child.  What ever you build needs to be really well made, washable, waterproof, devoid of sharp edges and small detachable parts and be able to be licked, bitten or chewed without harming the youngster.

Those busy boards you posted in your other thread gave me nightmares with the amount of bits that could mangle a finger or cause choking, paint that could flake off and be eaten.

My children's ability to dismantle things that look super sturdy never ceases to amaze me.

So on the plastics front have a look at this and avoid ones that contain BPA:-

http://www.healthychild.org/know-your-plastics/

Always use screws not nails

Don't use silicone sealants or caulk.

No solvent or oil based paint or glue.

Anything electrical be sure you would be happy to submerge it in water and stick to low voltage.

Battery covers should be held closed with screws.

Not wanting to rain on your parade but anything that is for under 3's needs to be really really well engineered.

Good luck

wyzzero

Thanks Gambit, I'll take a look.

Domvar, it doesn't come as a lecture at all, as I mentioned, I'm always opened for critique, and partially that is because I do want to make sure I build this as good and as safe as possible.

As for the boards posted in my other post, those were more for ideas and were for older children. A few of those parts do scare me for Harrison, the hook, squeezing his fingers in the wheel, etc.
I did think about the power issue, which was one reason why I liked the lights I posted, but I do plan to enclose them so he cant actually touch them.

Many of the ideas I've had so far, have been to attach various toys to it, instead of possibly dangerous items. I was thinking of games like Simon (according to your last post, I may need to check what type of plastic that uses) and Lights Out (will have to test the durability on the rubber buttons).

I plan to keep all the wiring and such, enclosed inside, where he can't get to it without being able to open the compartment (sounds like I add a lock ;-) ).

The paint, I didn't think about, and will make sure which paint I use.

Please everyone, again, always open to all the ideas and feedback. I'd hope to start drawing up plans this week, but had family in town, so hopefully next week. :-D

davidnagel

Good luck with this idea wyzzero, I had contemplated such a thing myself for my little one but the safety of the thing worries me mostly.

Not alone are we though, this idea popped up on my Facebook via a blog post of someone's:

http://www.ironicsans.com/ideas/
[search the page for toddle tardis console]

It included this neat little picture too

toddlertardis.jpg
Regards
David