Apr 23, 2024, 10:01 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Earl's Court Box

Started by chriskingbees, Jun 26, 2009, 02:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mechanoid

Aug 15, 2013, 12:06 am #76 Last Edit: Aug 15, 2013, 12:07 am by mechanoid
Good stuff there and I had a good gad about, but there is a separate thread for this http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4844.msg55521;topicseen#msg55521 as a reference to the 2013 interior

Dalekoracle

Was driving past the Earls Court Box earlier today, and noticed that its been roped off and is in the middle of refurbishment.
Its been sanded back, the windows and signage masked off, and a coat of white primer applied.
It was looking decidedly shabby a couple of weeks ago, so hopefully will be looking shiny and new in a short while.

Mark

watcher

Cheers for posting this, I love this box and always make a special stop off to see it when I'm in London. And I fear that one day they will scrap it, so any news on it being refurbished is good to hear  :D

Dalekoracle

I drove past the box earlier, and its bluer than blue!
It's simply stunning and looked amazing in the bright sunshine!
I live in East London, and so its not all that often that i find myself in Earls Court, but I'll try to pop back with a camera (unless someone beats me to it!)
BUT i did spot that someone on Flikr has uploaded a photo of the box during its refurbishment...

Here it is in its white primer:

https://flic.kr/p/mYthDf
https://flic.kr/p/mYthDf

Rassilons Rod

In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Dalekoracle

photo_zpsba51ae8f.jpg

drove past it earlier... please excuse the blurred photo, but driving a mini in traffic and trying to take a photo as one whizzes by isn't recommended!

But blimey, its bluer than blue! It looks lovely! The photo really doesn't do it justice.

Mark

DoctorWho8

Is it bluer than the Series 8 TARDIS prop or the Crich?
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Dalekoracle

Blimey, the web must be running slow today as I've managed to get on here!

Anyhoo.. My friend Marc Montoya Castro was passing through Earls Court and snapped the old girl....

ScreenShot2014-06-02at160959_zps5b469e5b.png

DoctorWho8

Jun 02, 2014, 04:20 pm #84 Last Edit: Jun 02, 2014, 04:21 pm by DoctorWho8
Color looks very close to the current TARDIS paint job.
SJP_MAI_18031beach5041JPG-6848821.jpg

lorisarvendu

Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Jun 02, 2014, 04:20 pm
Color looks very close to the current TARDIS paint job.

I suspect that's why it's been painted that colour.  Looking at the "Boscombe Box" we can see that the Police seem to have got over their grumpiness about the trademark case and are actively celebrating any links to the TARDIS.

Mark

Where did the "pull to open" go?

Dalekoracle

The "Pull To Open" panel has been missing for many years.
If you look back through the thread, its been missing since 2010.

Dalekoracle

watcher

Jun 03, 2014, 07:46 am #89 Last Edit: Jun 03, 2014, 07:47 am by watcher
Looks lovely :-)

One question I have though, is what type of wood is it built with?

It's near 20 years old, and yet still solid as a rock with no sign's of rot etc??

Where's I know member's here who have constructed wooden builds it's a yearly battle to keep them rot & water free! And in the case of poor KB, the battle was recently lost and his box pretty much disintegrated!

So, what's the secret??