Apr 20, 2021, 08:00 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

A Glasgow box at Avoncroft...

Started by dalethetimelord, Apr 21, 2005, 03:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dalethetimelord

Apr 21, 2005, 03:56 am Last Edit: Feb 03, 2010, 08:48 pm by Scarfwearer
A TARDIS-ish style box from Glasgow (another of Ward's, I think!) with an earlier wooden Police Box, which I think came from the newcastle area, I can't remember - I'll check up and report back on that.  As usual, the Time Lord in the pic is getting a call as he's about to leave for his holidays!!

Theyalwaysphoneasyouleave.jpg
They always phone as you leave...

ironageman

Apr 21, 2005, 03:18 pm #1 Last Edit: Feb 03, 2010, 08:47 pm by scarfwearer
Also, you can just see a Police Post on the left of the picture.  I mention this because I happen to find them rather groovy.

I _think_ that the wooden box is from Coventry, and was supposedly made in the 1950s... is that right?

The Glasgow box has Met-style top signs, which is worrying but perhaps this was done to appease the Who fans.  Similarly it's been painted dark blue in Metropolitan Police style - even the background of the 'Police-Fire-Ambulance' sign is blue rather than the usual red.*  Probably the telephone has been adapted too, so that one can receive calls from five billion years ago...

*MODIFICATION to original post: evidently the telephone panel is now the correct red. Aw, what am I going to moan about now?
leonard cohen  1934-2016  standing by the window where the light is strong

Mark

Apr 21, 2005, 10:33 pm #2 Last Edit: Feb 03, 2010, 08:47 pm by scarfwearer
Have some pictures of the Police Post at Criche if you want them e-mailing Ironageman.

Its painted the dark blue/black colour.

Its a baby TARDIS acording to my missus  :-/

ironageman

Apr 26, 2005, 03:21 pm #3 Last Edit: Feb 03, 2010, 08:48 pm by scarfwearer
Yeah! Let me see the baby Tardis!

There used to be one in the middle of Oxford but it's gone now - it was the main attraction of the town as far as I was concerned - though the Lewis Carroll connection came a close second.  (Oh and Morrells beer, but that's gone too I understand...)
leonard cohen  1934-2016  standing by the window where the light is strong

Mark

Apr 26, 2005, 03:47 pm #4 Last Edit: Feb 03, 2010, 08:48 pm by scarfwearer
There was one in Rotherham town centre, don't think its still there anymore, I spotted it when I was in Primary School.

There isn't even the Lewis Carrol connection in Rotherham ;D

mobius

I say, don't they lock these things? but I suppose everyone carries their Tardis keys with them, or sonic screwdrivers. no handyman should be without one. I'm a handyman (literally), I've got one. the old plastic one from the 80's that takes batteries and makes a buzzing sound. I'd keep it with my tools but it's a bit fragile and would probably not survive a week in their company.
It's always a matter of time...