Apr 20, 2024, 02:00 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Earl's Court Box

Started by chriskingbees, Jun 26, 2009, 02:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lorisarvendu

Page 2 of this thread has the most detailed photos and discussion about the box.  The roofing felt probably has a lot to do with the weather resistance, and I suspect it's a very expensive hard wood that's been used.

scotland yard

Was unsure of whether to post here or the most recent thread located at: https://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=8145.0 but this thread chronicles the Earl's Court box history over the years so I thought I might post the next chapter here. And also maybe merge the two threads together? But anyway

I was in Earl's Court on Sunday so I couldn't help but to go see the box! Although I was a bit sad to see that the box obviously hasn't been getting too much love for a while  :(

20221023_124359.jpg

I didn't have time to take any more photos but I could give it a quick visual inspection. The roof isn't looking great and there are a few spots along the base where the paint has started to peel off, revealing the darker blue it used to have before the latest repaint (which was somewhere in 2018). It also has a couple of stickers attached to the doors and the side facing the pavement. And of course the sign facing the road is shabby.
Oh my giddy aunt!!

Andrew Harvey

Poor old thing! See? You cant beat con-CRETE!

peterjohn

It was a great box (apart from the windows) I wonder why they did that? 🤔
It  looks like it's going the same way as the remaining Glasgow Boxes were until they were rescued....  :'(

alexcutler

Quote from: Andrew Harvey on Oct 25, 2022, 08:43 pmPoor old thing! See? You cant beat con-CRETE!

To be fair - it looks like the box has aged pretty much as well as any old met box did, indeed we have many photos of concrete boxes in worse condition after less decades of wear.

But this box does need a serious bit of pampering if it is to survive another generation.

Kingpin

Surprising to remember the box is now 26 years old.

Andrew Harvey

Quote from: Kingpin on Oct 27, 2022, 06:12 pmSurprising to remember the box is now 26 years old.

Was it not the same year poor old Jon Pertwee departed? Crikey. I still have the issue of Doctor Who magazine with the picture of this box being put together. It was really exciting at that time.

Andrew Harvey

I've had this lurking in the depths of one of my camera's for some time and had forgotten it. Anywobble, they do a monthly magazine for retired coppers and my own personal retired copper gets it. Some time ago he saw this article and showed it to me, knowing of my obsession with this particular item of street furniture! Here is another picture of dear old Earls Court box....

AndrewIMG_7475b.JPG