Apr 20, 2024, 12:37 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Residents stunned by TARDIS mystery

Started by DoctorWho8, May 28, 2009, 04:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorWho8

May 28, 2009, 04:35 pm Last Edit: Feb 03, 2010, 07:34 pm by Scarfwearer
http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/Residents-stunned-by-39Tardis39-mystery.5310241.jp
This story is about a Police Post Box was was unceremoniously removed from it's location because some Scottish guy in Glasgow wanted it.  RobertPunk, was this you? ;)
Bill Rudloff

robertpunk

May 30, 2009, 11:23 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 20, 2010, 07:54 pm by scarfwearer
erm... no, it wasn't me. But if I had known it existed..... 8-) ??? ;D Must find out where in Kent it is intended to end up at!

anson

Jun 03, 2009, 10:29 pm #2 Last Edit: Jan 20, 2010, 07:54 pm by scarfwearer
Robert,

Great Crich photos on Flickr incidentally!
Downloaded them all and added them to my reference pictures  - cheers!

robertpunk

Jun 09, 2009, 08:57 pm #3 Last Edit: Jan 20, 2010, 07:55 pm by scarfwearer
Glad to be of service  :D

cathlyn847

Jun 10, 2009, 01:45 am #4 Last Edit: Jan 20, 2010, 07:55 pm by scarfwearer
Another site I just discovered...

http://www.kent-police-museum.co.uk/core_pages/police_box.shtml

Maybe this is where the pilfered Box went.... Not right they took it without asking.
What would the Doctor do?

robertpunk

Jun 10, 2009, 01:53 pm #5 Last Edit: Jan 20, 2010, 07:56 pm by scarfwearer
I think it's got to be there the post is going to, can't be anywhere else really

ward westwater

The post was taken by me with the full support of the local council. If the local councillor cared so much about the Police Post then why had it not been painted for 30 years, the glass signs all smashed and the doors ripped off. When we took the post apart to repair it we found over 20 used syringes. But now its gone the councillor wants to restore it. Well he had his chance! Also it was never going to KentI dont know where this idea came from, perhaps they confused it with my box at Kent. The post when retored will have pride of place inside the Police Station we use as our office.  Regards, Ward

ward westwater

Mar 14, 2010, 07:09 pm #7 Last Edit: Sep 19, 2011, 04:02 pm by Scarfwearer
phone.jpgpolicebox.jpg

ward westwater

starcross

Mar 14, 2010, 07:55 pm #9 Last Edit: Mar 14, 2010, 08:02 pm by starcross
It is so odd to see my own image posted!

Those are two Posts I had found while researching on the net about this time in 2009. It basically started me off on the Lost and Found. I have a list of surviving Police Posts more or less.

I also do Maps and Blueprints as well, Its become a real menagerie of research items. 

ward westwater

Hi Starcross, love these pics. Do you know what happened to the box outside the American embassy? Are there any others outside London?
regards, Ward

starcross

Mar 14, 2010, 08:25 pm #11 Last Edit: Mar 14, 2010, 08:28 pm by starcross
"Hi Starcross, love these pics."
Thanks, its really nice to hear that coming from someone like you. You're a bit of a legend as your name comes up all the time when I research.

"Do you know what happened to the box outside the American embassy?"
Box or Post?
Because the Post is still there. They did some road work and converted the US embassy side of the Square to bricks. In the process they lifted the original 1938 Version Police Post and moved it about 5 meters back into the flowerbed they had made in the middle of the original island.  

Are there any others outside London?
I have more or less the complete list on my Lost and Found. But there are few Posts I think I haven't updated on the list.
- One is a 1955 version Met PA3 Post in Sittingborne.
- A PA1 in a museum in Glasgow that isn't open to the public something to do with a fire department.
- And somewhere on this forum one fellow found a PA3 in London in greenwich area.
- Ironageman has a Post not sure what vintage, as he didn't say.
- A fellow I was chatting with on Flickr has a PA3 hidden in his Basement.
- Unicornkiosks may have more than one post hidden away as well.
- There maybe more hidden around Trinidad and Tobago

Well as far as I know anyway so far, I never know what I'll come across when I research.

Sadly all that research and I can't seem to find a Post that I could own myself. Eventually I'll build one out of wood.

wayne venomous

How the hell did I miss this?!  ???

I used to work for South Tyneside Council a few years back in the social services department. The councillors are a weird bunch in their own little world and like Ward says they wouldn't have given a damn about it had it not been removed. The only reason councillors get involved with the public is to make themselves look good in the Shields Gazette and win votes anyway.

Whenever I met up with any local councillors all I could think of was this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeARXMHW4Is
;D

thecloisterbell

domvar